Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fuel consumption to Wellington from Auckland

• Admin

If it's healthy, I'd expect about 550km/tank.

The round trip is about 1300km, so to allow for gremlins I'd give it about 150L of fuel.

At current 2.10/L for 98 I'd make that $315, or $306 if you're getting 6c a L off with an AA card.

I'm using about 11-12 litres/100k in my BH5 GTB, driving like a nana...

So as its about 650k each way, that would be approximately 150 litres of fuel total, at say $2.10 a litre that's about $315.

Make cents?:confused:

Of course one would have to resist using the loud pedal too much to achieve that...:rolleyes: easier said than done!

(Dammit, Ninja'd by boon!)

• Admin
 loner said:
If it's healthy and you have a strong tail wind and are being towed up hills.

Are they really that bad?

I suddenly feel less crappy about the fuel consumption of my petrol Surf, which is pretty monstrous (~14L/100KM)

boon said:
Are they really that bad?

I suddenly feel less crappy about the fuel consumption of my petrol Surf, which is pretty monstrous (~14L/100KM)

Yes...

Theoretically you could get 550k/ tank, but you'd have to run it completely dry!

I start looking for servo's at 400, looking really hard at 450!

Mind you my fuel gauge does that weird thing of dropping to empty randomly, so I don't trust it even when it isnt on E.:eek:

steve118 said:
perhaps ill have a closer excursion to taupo or somewhere nearby haha. anything happening this easter weekend? want to get out of auckland

Harrisville have got outlaw sprint car racing on sunday afternoon at Ohakea....Always worth a look..

Go down state highway 4 and the parapara highway into wanganui, then out to bupls and down to wellington. 420kms bombays to wanganui, 480 ish to bulls. Theres a bp in bulls with 98, the mobil is a 10% ethanol so no good There.

Fill up in wellington, and again in taumaranui (assuming sh4 again)

The paraparas are a fantastic streach of road.... 80kms of tight twisty corners... BELIEVE THE 35KMH CORNER SIGNS!!!!!!

I think hes saying he travelled from mt wellington auck to wellington cbd via western lake from tokoroa to turangi. Took 6 hours 37 min and only used one tank of gas. Didnt run out but was on the empty light.

So basically you keyboard warriors could go to wellies twice on your 4 tanks of gas.

• General Member

Lol. Fuel conservation and trip time threads are worse than oil threads. Do it fast and comfortably or do it economically, choose one forget the other.

+1 for Paraparas... But the 35 kmh signs will stop being significant after a few runs through.

evowrx said:
I think hes saying he travelled from mt wellington auck to wellington cbd via western lake from tokoroa to turangi. Took 6 hours 37 min and only used one tank of gas. Didnt run out but was on the empty light.

So basically you keyboard warriors could go to wellies twice on your 4 tanks of gas.

ah ok, he must have been driving a 1.3 Corolla then.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did Petone -> Mt Eden. 684.1kms, 8.6l/100kms avg. Filled up BP Melling, petrol light came on just out of Huntly, filled up in Bombay (~55 litres) although trip comp claimed we had another 100kms in it. Used AC a teensy bit as it was raining the whole way. '05 GTB manual. I don't think our old BG twin auto would have gotten anywhere near.

GC8E2DD said:
Just did Petone -> Mt Eden. 684.1kms, 8.6l/100kms avg. Filled up BP Melling, petrol light came on just out of Huntly, filled up in Bombay (~55 litres) although trip comp claimed we had another 100kms in it. Used AC a teensy bit as it was raining the whole way. '05 GTB manual. I don't think our old BG twin auto would have gotten anywhere near.

Damn im heading to northcote have to be back north by 9 or id catch up with you.