Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legality of 35 percent tints

Colourfyre

• General Member

also lol you kids are still flip flopping figures and thats whats confusing me

%100 is clear - 10% factory glazing -$25 % film would = (roughly) 65% tint ALLOWING 35 % light thru

or am i just confusing myself

also nah I'd disagree if you put 2x layers of 50% tints you'd be Gangstar

edbaf456-68ec-4cf2-9b64-966d4910c483.jpg

also near 100% value / that's why I think your calc's are out, unfortunately only the light meter wins

enjoying the discussion & hopefully we all learn something :P

did you try a second opinion / test fro ma different place?

Edited by Joker

• Admin

Jesus wept can we stop flopping between %VLT and %nottransmitted?

If you're talking about 10% tint you're talking about 10% visible light transmitted, aka really ****ing dark tint.

When people go full retard and talk about 10% factory tint they mean it makes it 10% darker, not 10% VLT, meaning they're actually talking about 90% VLT tint.

And tints, when stacked, do not add. That's extra retarded: "Yeah I got some 5% tint then added another 5% tint now I have 10% tint" - yes, because adding more tint makes things lighter........................

Basic multiplication of fractions kids, come on, it's not that bloody hard. 2 layers of 50% VLT tint = 0.50*0.50 = 0.25 = 25% VLT

If your factory tints are 90% VLT and you put 35% VLT tint on it, 0.9*0.35 = 0.315 = 31.5% VLT = illegal (duh)

This is honestly not that hard to work out, this thread is full of maths and common sense derping.

• Admin
 ADIKT said:
What is the factory tint on legacy/outback wagons?

JDM or NZDM?

My JDM BP9 Legacy has really dark rear windows, the old man's NZDM BP9 Outback is un-tinted... or at least, is only the token 95% VLT or whatever.

• Admin

A quick bit of googling hasn't revealed anything concrete but it sounds like the "clear" glass is approx. 75% VLT (there's a surprise) and the JDM privacy stuff tends to be in the 20's.

So if you put 35% tint on a standard window you can expect a VLT of around 26.5%

• General Member
 boon said:
And tints, when stacked, do not add. That's extra retarded: "Yeah I got some 5% tint then added another 5% tint now I have 10% tint" - yes, because adding more tint makes things lighter........................

This is honestly not that hard to work out, this thread is full of maths and common sense derping.

hehe your not wrong here & cleared it up nicely

tho however I'd err on side of caution & add 5% + 5% & get 10% total regardless, & not end up having to remove my 5.005% tints if they fail [+ the stock level]

cos I honestly doubt if you stacked 2 x 10% tints you'd get 11%

catch my math?

moot point cos no-one stacks film (tho i have heard of it & pinked the next day etc) this more handy trying to deal with OEM glass + a film

rather under, than over, mentality

also DIY tints aint hard, you can/could buy pre-cuts On the Line

squirter/spray bottle with soapy water, heat gun & credit card in a wet tea-towel

Bob's ya muvvers bruver guv'

Edited by Joker

• Admin
 Joker said:
hehe your not wrong here & cleared it up nicely

tho however I'd err on side of caution & add 5% + 5% & get 10% total regardless, & not end up having to remove my 5.005% tints if they fail [+ the stock level]

cos I honestly doubt if you stacked 2 x 10% tints you'd get 11%

catch my math?

moot point cos no-one stacks film (tho i have heard of it & pinked the next day etc) this more handy trying to deal with OEM glass + a film

rather under, than over, mentality

also DIY tints aint hard, you can/could buy pre-cuts On the Line

squirter/spray bottle with soapy water, heat gun & credit card in a wet tea-towel

Bob's ya muvvers bruver guv'

Mate you're still all over the show.

If you have 10% VLT tints and you add another layer of 10% tint you get 0.1*0.1 = 0.01 AKA 1% VLT tints.

Ive been down at the station and seen the tester used etc, The NZ new legacy I have which doesn't look like its tinted at all is essentially VLT 70-75% and research on the internet supports that. Its honestly like a fish bowl- I was really surprised that the tint in the "clear" looking glass is so much. I am sure there meter is all good, in reality when you do the maths the results from the meter aren't surprising at all. So the minimum VLT film I could use (or rather the darkest tint I could use) is 50% (.35(Legal level)/.70 = .50)

Does anyone have any experience with such a light tint? I am not sure I would want it any lighter than it was. (From the point of view of people not being able to see whats in the back etc as easily)

Edited by Colourfyre

Legal is legal just deal with it

Factory privacy glass on most models is darker than nz legal limit for aftermarket tint

There are literally dozens of factory tint codes in varying colours and shades, (green / gre / blue / bronze) , all let different amounts of light through. Unless you own a light meter good luck working out exactly what you I have, sometimes you'll get half a dozen options in the same model vehicle depending on interior trim, options ticked etc.

Plan A guesstimate what you have, DIY the tints and hope it's still legal, plan B go to a tinting place, get some which are guaranteed and if it does fail, they replace with legal. You take your risks either way

• Like 1

Marky said:
Legal is legal just deal with it

Factory privacy glass on most models is darker than nz legal limit for aftermarket tint

There are literally dozens of factory tint codes in varying colours and shades, (green / gre / blue / bronze) , all let different amounts of light through. Unless you own a light meter good luck working out exactly what you I have, sometimes you'll get half a dozen options in the same model vehicle depending on interior trim, options ticked etc.

Plan A guesstimate what you have, DIY the tints and hope it's still legal, plan B go to a tinting place, get some which are guaranteed and if it does fail, they replace with legal. You take your risks either way

Or get what you have (no matter how 'clear' it is) checked by someone with a VLT meter.

The other thing I have learnt is the American standard number- all the glass on my legacy is AS2 which means its all at least 70% VLT (it could be higher and still fit into that standard), Jap import cars I have looked at today with the dark back use AS3 Glass on the back which can be anything below 70% VLT. This website has lots of info: http://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings'

I guess that unless you test it you might as well assume that the car is already 70% VLT on the sides (The same as the windscreen apparently)

Edited by Colourfyre

• General Member

great info above

boon said:
If you have 10% VLT tints and you add another layer of 10% tint you get 0.1*0.1 = 0.01 AKA 1% VLT tints.

you sure? 10% of light stopped then another 10% of that light is stopped again

they dont multiply, i started writing a fourmula but got lost in the n's

ie

n-% is a theroetical layer

2 layers = (n-%) - (n-(n-%))

lets stick with 10% as a simple value

start backwards at 100 Percent light transfer - 10% [one layer film} = 90 % transfer VLT

add another layer of the same & that results in 9% total light blocked = 81% VLT

not 1% in your working no? **** I think you're right, I;m working the wrong way around confusing myself still thats the 1% difference you mention hehe

Geesus you NZ boys must have some really bored arseholes working in authoritive jobs to be picking on tinted windows!. I have only heard a few guys get done but they were being smartarses at the time haha. I have illegal tint and find myself stopped at lights with cops checking the lib out with no problems. I have seen they use a card with various lvls of greyscale and put it behind the tint if they can read the card it passes. I personally wouldnt be getting so hung up on it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This might help some of you guys.

Sorry to bring this thread up again. But I thought it would be good to clarify some things as I've got a few insights from recent experience and opinions.

My Legacy 2005 has a 'fish-bowl' factory tinted glass all around with 70% VLT (measured using the VLT device both at VTNZ and The Tinting Guys).

I was about to get it tinted with 35% VLT film. I had a hunch that it might be illegal and got The Tinting Guys AND VTNZ to measure the VLT. It turned out to be an overall value of 26% VLT (close enough with the proven calculation using 0.7(existing)*0.35(additional film) = 24.5%. This is considered ILLEGAL and WILL NOT PASS WOF.

Luckily, the tint guys also supplied 45% VLT and 50% VLT films. The 45% VLT were still too dark, approx overall 31% VLT (measured and calculated). Based on calculations, the perfect tints on top of the existing 70% VLT glass is the 50% VLT tint (0.7*0.5=35%). I have yet to have these installed.

Be aware that films don't get made to the exact VLT value that it's said to have. This was the case when I went to the tinting place. The 45% VLT tint film was measured as roughly 43% VLT. So keep that in mind and get them to double check the VLT of that specific batch of film they will install on your windows. 

I was told by the tinting guys that VTNZ are stricter since last year (2017) when it comes to the VLT. They want it to be at least 35% VLT and nothing less (consumer cars of course. Goods vans etc can go as dark as they want). Even 34%, you might fail the WOF. 

JDM Cars with factory tinted glass (the dark ones on the rear windows) are perfectly LEGAL as they are factory windows (said by the guy from VTNZ directly).

Hope that helps :) 

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

You could always go to one WOF inspector, if they are anal about tints and you don't want to go through the hassle of removing them shop around til you find one that doesn't ping you on the tints. Lower cars should be allowed a bit of leeway that the vans etc get, no fun being low and getting shone to S*** by the hilux tailgating you.