borland667

Newer ECU on older phase 1 engines

23 posts in this topic

Hey folks, anyone has a newer re-flashable ecu running on an old engine? Any ideas of what would have to be done to make that work? Cheers!

fuel, timing, ignition- crank sensors use different triggers; would require telling the computer to ignore avcs.

Do-able if someone knew their way around the computer.

I'll be following- cheap yet exceptionally time consuming alternative to aftermarket computer :P

Definitely my next project after I finish with the v3... and of course, I will post here first evowrx! LOL

Would be just quicker and easier to do a daughter board or a plugin link.......... dont see much a an advantage other than a technical exercise of can it be done...

Link are expensive this is quarter of the price with slightly more hassle. Providing you could get it working with early triggers. Even then its definitely doable just need to find cam gear and crank trigger wheel. Run carberry rom then no maf required.

Makes sense on v5/6. Just replace with late mani and tb then add v7 ecu with a plug in adaptor. Easy reflashable ecu for under 500 just need to be better with wiring than me.

evowrx said:
Link are expensive this is quarter of the price with slightly more hassle. Providing you could get it working with early triggers. Even then its definitely doable just need to find cam gear and crank trigger wheel. Run carberry rom then no maf required.

Makes sense on v5/6. Just replace with late mani and tb then add v7 ecu with a plug in adaptor. Easy reflashable ecu for under 500 just need to be better with wiring than me.

You'd wanna change crank sprocket for that. Otherwise is a tempting mod haha

Easy enough if youre doing timing anyway. If not its not a biggie to whip belt off.

ESL daughter boards, very good upgrade with early standard ecu, fully mapable and does away with afm

Esl yes, but nothing yet for the v5/6. There are 3 methods for retunes on the 5 and 6....

1: link

2: tune in napier, costs about $1500, i forget who does them

3: later ecu swap

Wrc were 1k last check. Plus travel and he wanted it overnight so accom unless you know someone local.

Lol all good. Main point being although the v5/6 is a fantastic car, there is f**k all out there in regards to tuning options that doesnt cost an arm and a leg

ESL Daughterboards are supposed to be coming in later this year for v5/6 no?

But thats limited as unless you know how to tune it youre heading to hawkes bay to get it tuned. Sure others will be able to tune it but as soon as you dont have a link their enthusiasm level goes thro the floor which may be reflected in the tune.

Links are bloody expensive now.

Yep. There are a few around that can do esl, namely stars and stripes based in hamilton.

Factory v7 on ecu can be tuned by anyone. Program is free to download, cable costs about $300 including all reflash connectors

one local tuner here has a love-hate relationship with links loves to hate them, hes had a couple fry circuitry and force injectors open and kill engines. fun times. his enthusiasm may jump without a link lol

94 Leone said:
one local tuner here has a love-hate relationship with links loves to hate them, hes had a couple fry circuitry and force injectors open and kill engines. fun times. his enthusiasm may jump without a link lol

You mean he tried to use a Link on a low-impedance injector and then was surprised when the FET injector drives failed closed?

Sounds like operator error to me.

boon said:
You mean he tried to use a Link on a low-impedance injector and then was surprised when the FET injector drives failed closed?

Sounds like operator error to me.

Not sure, he knows his ****.

I know they were Id1000's