Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Recommended Subaru Mechanic in Dunedin?

evoeater99

Hey guys, am looking at purchasing an 07 GT-B wagon which is due a cam belt change and all the 100km goodies. just wondering i was to get it, is there any other recommendations to get this done other than Southern Motor Court, who quoted me about $1600-ish including water pump

Thanks

i just replaced the cambelt, I have an acquaintance he is a subaru's mechanic who do perks job on a holiday/weekend, the labour probably NZD100 and the parts(cambelt kit & water pump) probably NZD800,

if you want more cheaper parts, you can go to BNT or repco , but he will swear when installing :D

if you need, PM your name & your mobile,i will confirm it with him first

Its days like these you need to shop around and do your research before buying from retailers of over priced Workshops or you might end up with noisy chinese water pumps and bearings and seals that leak

But don't worry i've done the research for you lol...

Heres where you buy your cambelt kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Gates-Racing-Timing-Belt-Kit-Tensioner-Water-pump-Subaru-WRX-STI-TCKWP328RB-/251383054774?hash=item3a879901b6&vxp=mtr

Why? Stronger Kevlar belt, All double roller bearings, full faced water pump and the small idler bearing is double instead of single as well.

Subaru Genuine for thermostat, thermostat seal and front oil seals, and oil pump O-ring o add another 100-150 and you have a decent kit for 600-650

As far as Subaru mechanics go you can't go past K G McLeod up Waverley way. Alan knows subarus like the back of his hand and I wouldn't take my car anywhere else, especially not southern motor court.

What are all the 'goodies' you are talking about too?

Awesome Thanks for the Help guys, definitely keen on the idea of supplying my own parts just so i know whats actually going into the car, as far as mechanic go i would prefer just to have it done by someone who can put their name to it and provide some sort of record of it actually being done.

tweedo said:
As far as Subaru mechanics go you can't go past K G McLeod up Waverley way. Alan knows subarus like the back of his hand and I wouldn't take my car anywhere else, especially not southern motor court.

What are all the 'goodies' you are talking about too?

Nothing extra just all the parts the need replaced like water pump, seals, rollers etc. have you had your cam belt changed by him? any idea how he sits price wise? will give him a call tomorrow thanks

tydon said:
can also try a guy called keith he rebuilds and sells motors used to work at the subaru wreckers and is priced quite well for labour pm if you would like a contact number

does he have a car lifter?

I want to clean the undercarriage, any suggestions where can i do ?

evoeater99 said:
Nothing extra just all the parts the need replaced like water pump, seals, rollers etc. have you had your cam belt changed by him? any idea how he sits price wise? will give him a call tomorrow thanks

Just wondered whether that was a full 100k service including all fluids as well? I have on a previous car but only had the belt done so I wouldn't know what the whole lot would be.

And on the supply of the kit, I'm sure he could source whatever it is you were after too.

Would just like to bump K G Mcleods here to anyone in or near Dunedin, Alan there is very switched on with Subarus knew exactly what the issue was. He also fixed it quicker and cheaper than he initially quoted, service was great well explained and have basically found my new Suby Mechanic in Dunedin so i couldn't be happier A+ :D

evoeater99 said:
Would just like to bump K G Mcleods here to anyone in or near Dunedin, Alan there is very switched on with Subarus knew exactly what the issue was. He also fixed it quicker and cheaper than he initially quoted, service was great well explained and have basically found my new Suby Mechanic in Dunedin so i couldn't be happier A+ :D

I will keep that name in case I need anything done :-) cheers

evoeater99 said:

Happy to hear it but not surprised at all mate... He def knows his **** alright!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

anyone know about the power steering system in Dunedin ?

i think i have a trouble in it(subaru GG2 EJ15), when we went to Palmerston, after Waitati, the steering wheel felt "light" when the speed in 90-100kph(it's weird, in ordinary car must feel hard), and sometime suddenly turned left, and after that,i checked the power steering oil, little bit drain