Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Advice for selling a car

As I've never sold a car before and it's time to get rid of mine, has anyone got any advice to share when it comes to selling a car?

I know someone posted up a nice. semi-formal document that both parties could sign to give the seller some proof that the car was good as of that point in time and any issues in future were not their problem. I think it might of been Boon?

Anyways, aside from the usual making sure the buyer has a licence and to be in the car when being test driven no matter what. What else is there to keep in mind?

Chur!

Edited by Timmah

Make sure you get some change of ownership papers as you don't want to be paying someone else's speeding and parking fines and also if they don't re-register the car then you become liable for the outstanding registration when they do register again.

Also make sure your insurance covers you for other drivers particularly those under 25.

G

sirwrx said:
Make sure you get some change of ownership papers as you don't want to be paying someone else's speeding and parking fines and also if they don't re-register the car then you become liable for the outstanding registration when they do register again.

G

I had that problem, the guy said he would do the change of ownership and didn't. Ended up costing me about $200 in registration fees even though he had got rid of it at that point. I sold the car to him for $200 so didn't make any money off it. At least he didn't get any fines.

Buyer has to send in their part tho or it doesnt change ownership. Wife sent in her part when we sold foz buyer didnt send his. Had a toll notice come thro for $40 to us as she still owned the vehicle. Got hold of the guy thank f as it was 2 or 3 months later and he sorted it.

• Admin

Hrm I had a good one but I can't find it for the life of me :/

Essentially, because I'm a bastard, I had 2 slight variations, one for buying and one for selling, which affords me the protection and left the other party open for a reaming if needs be.

It doesn't really have to be much if you don't anticipate having to ream them in the future.

For selling, you probably want a named, signed, dated (and possibly even timestamped) document which states along the lines of:

For both buying and selling:

-The names and addresses of the parties to the contract. Drivers license number is a good one too (sight it!!!)

-The object the contract is in relation to - Make, Model, Year, Colour, Plate/Vin/Chassis code

-The agreed price

-That this is full and final payment for the vehicle

-That ownership of the vehicle transfers to the purchaser

-That both parties will complete the change of ownership within a chosen timeframe (24 hours is probably reasonable, but personally I'd have the paperwork on hand or both of you do it on a computer)

For selling:

-The vehicle is "sold as seen" and the purchaser is "satisfied with the condition of the vehicle having adequately inspected it"

-The seller gives no warranty nor guarantee of the condition of the vehicle beyond that given in the written description

-That the purchaser is liable for any and all penalties/fines/etc imposed upon the vehicle from the time and date set forth in the contract

For buying:

-That the seller is the lawful owner of the vehicle and is entitled to sell it

-That the seller has not omitted from the description any faults they are aware of

-That the vehicle accurately reflects any written or verbal description given by the seller (note any material points given only in verbal description, i.e. if they tell you it's forged and the TradeMe ad doesn't say so)

-That there are no outstanding financial obligations relating to the vehicle, such as a lien, finance, or security against a loan

You want 2 copies, both originals, signed etc etc etc. Both parties get one.

I'm not a lawyer and for all I know it may not be worth the paper it's written on, but the existence of the document in the first place should stop most retards trying to screw you over.

Plus if it all goes pear-shaped and you end up at the disputes tribunal armed with it then it's much, much better than just your word against theirs.

EDIT: Also bear in mind if you're selling to a real young'un that you have to be 18 to enter into a binding contract, so get their mum/dad/someone to do it instead.

Edited by boon

LEGACY_BLITZEN said:
You selling the wagon?

Haven't really publicised it, but two months ago I bought a Version 8 Wagon and my Version 3 has been sitting in the garage while I contemplating what I wanted to do with it. I've come to the conclusion I should sell it on to free up some money and cross off some of my to-do mods for the Version 8.

the key to selling a car or in fact anything is how it's advertised. you need to write down important details that people would want to know. I.e: what's done to it, any service history, show any receipts for work done, how it drives, what the engine, gearbox, brakes, suspension, body and interior is like. mention any imperfection it might have. basically you want the person reading it to know just about everything about the car before he sees it in person. you need to make the person reading it confident that what you are saying is genuine and honest.

I, Tim Bowman,

After an adequate inspection of the Subaru Impreza WRX (1997) am satisfied in the condition of the automobile and it is fit to be sold.

I give no warranty nor guarantee the condition of the vehicle beyond that given in the written description on Trademe, listing: 889581509

Any penalties, fines, etc imposed upon the vehicle after the time of purchase are the purchasers responsibility.

Signed: ____________ Date:

I, ____________

Have conducted an adequate inspection of the Subaru Impreza 1997 WRX and am satisfied in the condition of the vehicle and wish to purchase it.

I understand that there is no warranty given by the current owner and accept that any unforeseen issues will be addressed at my cost.

It is my responsibly to ensure any penalties, fines etc imposed upon the vehicle after the date of purchase are my responsibility.

It is my responsibility to ensure that my part in the change of ownership is completed in a timely manner.

Signed: _______________ Date:

How does this sound for a wee contract/cover my bacon?