Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

EZ30R turbo kit??

Where would I start looking for a turbo kit in Auckland for my EZ30R?

Anyone got any ideas on the work involved?

Cost?

Engine Limits and potential performance gains without needing an engine rebuild?

I've seen some vids on youtube of some guys that have done setups overseas. Just wondering if there's a way to do it locally...

This crazy Russian guy's one sounds AMAZING. I looked at his website in the links under the vids too and it looks like he's also custom built some unequal length headers for it to give it that amazing sound.

Then there's this guy's one. It also sounds amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkKucEGay3c

They both go really hard too and this would be heaps of fun and something unique to have. Probably wouldn't go as crazy as these guys though and would want to be able to do it without any internal engine or gearbox work. I was thinking more along the lines of using a smaller turbo like the td04 I have in my garage running at 7psi.

Edited by Insanity

Td04 would be absolutely fruitless. You need something like a big holset which is also going to suit your budget and will let the engine breathe which its going to need to. A big hotside is key on bigger sub engines.

22b has a few of these making massive numbers and people know a heap more about them.

Forcfed on here has one with stock heads that made stupid power iirc there is a garage thread on here which should give some insight.

• Admin

Not sure whether dtech did most of this or just the engine but they probably have more knowledge than most in nz. ****loads of expensive custom work is needed. Pretty extreme example that one though https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=667286453326838&id=106882592700563

Pretty sweet twin turbo aussie one. http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21069

If sticking with low psi and stock internals wouldn't an intercooled supercharger be easier and a truckload cheaper. Well documented results so you're not the one paying the big money for all the experimental work.

• Admin

Sinco do both the intake and exhaust manifolds.

You will spend $5000 just to get it to the point that you can attach a turbo to it. If you then stuck a TD04 on it, well, I don't know what to say. It seems like a gigantic waste of time to me. Likewise I wouldn't bother doing it without building the motor. You would get exactly the same performance by dropping an EJ207 or EJ257 into whatever you're doing it on.

You don't need to rebuild the motor if low boost is used. A TD04 would choke the motor though as Joker said.

If you rebuild the motor and put a lot of boost through it, be prepared to have a smashed gearbox every time

you stomp on the gas.

• Admin
 loner said:
You don't need to rebuild the motor if low boost is used.

True, but then what's the point - beyond novelty value?

If you're going to go to the trouble and expense of building a manifold and all the associated bits and bobs, you may as well just sell the motor and throw an EJ257 in it. You'll get more bang for less bucks.

boon said:
True, but then what's the point - beyond novelty value?

If you're going to go to the trouble and expense of building a manifold and all the associated bits and bobs, you may as well just sell the motor and throw an EJ257 in it. You'll get more bang for less bucks.

Dont agree. Stock internal Rb30de+t low boost much power. If you can do the fab cheap and just have to pay for a trick ecu/tune, bigger injectors/pump and a $500 holset go for it. If you dont have mega bucks to do it properly dont bother it will end up on tm like any other well intentioned project.

• Admin
 evowrx said:
Dont agree. Stock internal Rb30de+t low boost much power. If you can do the fab cheap and just have to pay for a trick ecu/tune, bigger injectors/pump and a $500 holset go for it. If you dont have mega bucks to do it properly dont bother it will end up on tm like any other well intentioned project.

30de+t makes sense because you just get some **** standy manifold from a 25DET and you're good to go.

Turboing a EZ30, you'll be $1000 down in materials and argon by the time you have a meaningful exhaust setup.

Then you've got to figure out an oil feed and drain (and possibly coolant depending on the turbo), probably a coupla hundy. Possibly custom PS line, another few hundred there.

ECU, you'll have to go G4 Extreme to run it because of all the extra bits and bobs, that's a couple of thousand, plus factor in another thousand or so to tune it.

Injectors, let's say $1000 to get some that aren't a waste of time and effort, fuel pump a couple hundy.

And a dirty old Holset, let's say $500

Front mount and plumbing it, maybe another $400 to do it properly

And a cert, probably $600 these days.

Quick mental maths says you're at $7500 without much room for "fudge factor" and I bet you a big pile of internet points it'll only make maybe 240wkw reliably.

EDIT: And if you're paying someone labour to do it all, I'd say factor in maybe 2-3k there. So you're looking at a solid $10k for about the same power as a mildly modded reflashed GDB.

Pour 10k into an Impreza and you'll get 300wkw if you spend it in the right places.

To buy an ej257 and install hes up 5k alone. Plus ecu to run it again you really want an extreme 1700 would cover it. Steal sensors off pickapart. Everything else still applies so add 5k to your 7.5k and you might be close. You dont need expensive injectors just 6x 565cc pinks if you need more decap.

If you cant diy the fab and wiring dont even consider it.

Yes its proven anything v7-2 or 2.5 stomps arse with a decent breathing apparatus and turbo. Why people dont lean on the strong factory engines in nz who knows...

Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like it will be a big mission to get it done and will probably be worth having a fair amount of money to do a proper job with the whole drivetrain and suspension, so probably best to do a WRX project instead in the mean time.