Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Wheel/ Suspension/ Brakes query BL5

im-a-bus

Hey all,

There is no doubt this has been answered elsewhere, but I'm lazy and my quick search of the forum returned no results (probably because i'm lazy)

WHEELS:

What width would be recommended for a "stock" legacy? I think the factory wheels are 7.5" wide, correct me if i'm wrong.

I would like the rim to sit just shy of being flush with the guards, not a big fan of spacers..

SUSPENSION:

Want a slightly lower/ stiffer ride, but wish to keep the Bilstein shocks. What springs would be recommended. Is there an STI variant that's available? what would the price range/s be?

sway bars/ strut bars: Anyone selling some? :P

BRAKES:

Really just need to know what people are running pad wise. The brakes are nice on the car (as well as everything else) but bear in mind i'm used to cars with MASSIVE brakes. might upgrade the brakes altogether in the distant future but for now I'd just like to try upgrading the pads. What's everyone running and bang for buk, what is recommended?

So much for keeping this car stock.... LOL

im-a-bus said:
Hey all,

There is no doubt this has been answered elsewhere, but I'm lazy and my quick search of the forum returned no results (probably because i'm lazy)

WHEELS:

What width would be recommended for a "stock" legacy? I think the factory wheels are 7.5" wide, correct me if i'm wrong.

I would like the rim to sit just shy of being flush with the guards, not a big fan of spacers..

SUSPENSION:

Want a slightly lower/ stiffer ride, but wish to keep the Bilstein shocks. What springs would be recommended. Is there an STI variant that's available? what would the price range/s be?

BRAKES:

Really just need to know what people are running pad wise. The brakes are nice on the car (as well as everything else) but bear in mind i'm used to cars with MASSIVE brakes. might upgrade the brakes altogether in the distant future but for now I'd just like to try upgrading the pads. What's everyone running and bang for buk, what is recommended?

I run 18x7.5 ET48 and they sit pretty flush - a couple of mills more and the rears will rub.

Cusco/Genome/STI strut braces to be found on TM ;)

Keep an eye on subaruspeed.co.nz , they do list Bilsteins + STI pink springs occasionally, just make sure you double check what car they came off (i.e sedan/wagon, 3.0/2.0)

As for brakes, I recommend the Brembo set all around! A bit of a pain because the rear calipers need adapters and you need custom rear rotors with a 170mm handbrake drum instead of the 190mm STI handbrake drum.

I'm sitting on stock bilsteins and Prova springs with 18x8.5 + 46 with no rubbing what-so-ever. I find it a nice good setup!

IMG_5611_zps32708c25.jpg

• Admin

Hey knockout have you ever tried fully packing the car out with a **** load of weight? Always wondered how close the rims would be to rubbing if it was sagging down that low.

Stock 18inch rims are 18x7 + 55

Sti pink springs are one of the common ones to use when keeping stock struts, supposed to lower the car about 15mm for front and rear. But like soba said need to find the right ones or it'll end up uneven.

Doing pretty much all that stuff to mine in about a month when the rims finally arrive, been a long painfull wait.

Got my brembo's off a wrecked tbsti legacy that had the brembo backing plates so no rear adaptors needed, and no weird conversion rotors until the ones that came with it wear out. Doing it that way saves on needing a cert. don't come up on trademe often though.

From a purely performance standpoint the spec b brakes with upgraded pads, lines, fluid and rotors gets almost brembo rivalling performance for alot less hassle.

I can't imagine you would ever need to upgrade the brakes unless you plan to track the car. Even then, you'll be wanting to spend more money on cooling if you plan to be out long enough to lose your brakes in my opinion. I understand you have a race car? Save the upgraded brakes for that and keep the lower unsprung weight in the Legacy for dealing with rough public roads. BP/BL GT(B) brakes are considered by many to be better than the older STi 4 pots anyway due to greater thermal mass, and people upgrade older WRXs to 4 pots as a cheaper alternative to Brembos for track work =]

People say they get fade in their BP/BL Legacies, but I never have (to the degree it was dangerous). The closest I've gotten was nowhere near pedal to the floor territory, and took a sustained bout of anti-social driving to get there. Perhaps in autos going down long winding hills while towing ...

Get the TRD Sport Brake Fluid from Manukau Toyota. It is Motul RBF600 rebranded, and only about $22 a bottle retail.

Andy_Mac']Hey knockout have you ever tried fully packing the car out with a **** load of weight? Always wondered how close the rims would be to rubbing if it was sagging down that low.

In mine I had 18x8.5 +44 wheels with the bilsteins and pink springs - and I did find that when I fully loaded the boot (wagon) I would get rubbing in the rears

Height with pink springs

13660737035_3c1d060fc5_c.jpg

I now run same wheels but with BC gold adjustable suspension

Height with adjustables

17079644842_26e9fca02e_c.jpg

[quote name='im-a-bus said:

SUSPENSION:

BRAKES:

I thought the same about mine when I got my car, I told myself I'll keep it stock haha so much for that!

In mine I've got front and rear cusco sway bars and front and rear underbody braces, front and rear strut braces

Brakes I've got brembo brakes front and rear - running bendix ultimate pads (I like them, other than how dusty they are)

GC8E2DD said:
I can't imagine you would ever need to upgrade the brakes unless you plan to track the car. Even then, you'll be wanting to spend more money on cooling if you plan to be out long enough to lose your brakes in my opinion. I understand you have a race car? Save the upgraded brakes for that and keep the lower unsprung weight in the Legacy for dealing with rough public roads. BP/BL GT(B) brakes are considered by many to be better than the older STi 4 pots anyway due to greater thermal mass, and people upgrade older WRXs to 4 pots as a cheaper alternative to Brembos for track work =]

People say they get fade in their BP/BL Legacies, but I never have (to the degree it was dangerous). The closest I've gotten was nowhere near pedal to the floor territory, and took a sustained bout of anti-social driving to get there. Perhaps in autos going down long winding hills while towing ...

Get the TRD Sport Brake Fluid from Manukau Toyota. It is Motul RBF600 rebranded, and only about $22 a bottle retail.

Interesting what you say bout the BL/BP brakes, do they bolt on to the BE/BH Legacy?

(Apologies for the slight thread hijack!)

• Admin

Brembo's fit on both, with the same adaptor for the rears used so the spacing is the same. Only thing would be fitment under stock 17's as the rotors 316mm instead of 294mm heaps of space with the 4th gen 18's so doubt it'd be a problem.

Few US guys have done it but can't find anyone that has actually documented the swap with stock wheels.

I have 5 people in the car quite regularly and still no scraping. Nothing really beyond that though.

As for the stock GT brakes, firs time I went out on the track I did manage to get some brake fade and that made me think they weren't up to my kind of standard (hence the Brembo's). In saying that, they definitely weren't bad and they never got to the point where they failed me, I just decided Brembo's for piece of mind. Although this is coming from someone who is VERY harsh on his brakes at the track... even managed to get the Brembo's smoking xD

The ride with the Prova's is definitely firm. I find them to be good springs though, not much body roll either (can't compare to stock because this is all I've ever had aha).

Thank you everyone for the advice so far!

Right at this moment i'm thinking just upgraded pads/ brake fluid for the brakes, and either STI or type S tein springs. Don't want to become undrivable as the vehicle is intended to be a daily!! And obviously getting a cert right now for the car seems a bit silly.

the stock 7" wheel is WAYYYY too narrow for my liking, despite handling decently It'd be a better peace of mind to have some wider wheels/tyres. So will start looking at the 8.5" config with the 44-46 offset :)

@Invisible: what's your verdict RE the bracing? Not overkill? Did you source them through TM? or some alternate site?

im-a-bus said:
Thank you everyone for the advice so far!

@Invisible: what's your verdict RE the bracing? Not overkill? Did you source them through TM? or some alternate site?

Well I didn't think it was overkill haha, car is much more fun to drive and corners very well :) just need new tyres so will be upgrading those soon.

I get most of my stuff from www.japanparts.com and some from TM and www.subaruspeed.co.nz