Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

[Still Learning] Engine Difference between Manual EJ20T and Auto. EJ20T ?

Flyboy1218

correct. the manual uses a td04 twinscroll turbo and the auto a vf38 if i remember correctly. the vf38 is prone to failure. also differences in engine code, the nissan flyboys like to call the turbocharged ej motors "ej20t's" but there are some big internal differences in compression, especially dependant on age.

shameless pinch from wiki:

EJ20X EJ20Y[edit]

These engines are fitted in the JDM legacy BL5 (sedan) and BP5 (Wagon). EJ20X/EJ20Y are open deck engines with thicker cylinder walls than ej25 They are fitted with semi-forged rods and crank. dual AVCS intake & exhaust, 9.5:1 compression and a fast spooling turbo yields a torque filled performance. (265-280 bhp)

Turbos:

VF38 (auto version)

TD04 HLA 19T (Manual 2003-2006)

VF45 (both auto and manual post-2006 facelift models)

• Admin

06 should be vf45 although some have vf44, not sure if its any different or not spec wise. Everything is pretty vague on these JDM turbo's. I know my 06 is a vf45 from the nameplate. As long as its not vf38 you're in the clear, as far as we can gather the vf44/45 are ball bearing turbo's vs roller for vf38 so 06 6 speed generally means you're past the dodgy phase.

kwi_fozze said:
correct. the manual uses a td04 twinscroll turbo and the auto a vf38 if i remember correctly. the vf38 is prone to failure. also differences in engine code, the nissan flyboys like to call the turbocharged ej motors "ej20t's" but there are some big internal differences in compression, especially dependant on age.

shameless pinch from wiki:

EJ20X EJ20Y[edit]

These engines are fitted in the JDM legacy BL5 (sedan) and BP5 (Wagon). EJ20X/EJ20Y are open deck engines with thicker cylinder walls than ej25 They are fitted with semi-forged rods and crank. dual AVCS intake & exhaust, 9.5:1 compression and a fast spooling turbo yields a torque filled performance. (265-280 bhp)

Turbos:

VF38 (auto version)

TD04 HLA 19T (Manual 2003-2006)

VF45 (both auto and manual post-2006 facelift models)

Cheers, how about the engine itself? Because obviously engine has to do more work on Manual (Downshift.stalling etc)

It's really a bit of marketing smoke and mirrors. The automatic 03-09s are rated at 191kW and the manuals 206kW, but the auto power is rated at 6000 RPM while the manual is rated at 6400 RPM. In reality the difference is negligible (the pre-facelift manuals may have had a bit more on top with their bigger turbos, but after 2006 they both got the same units). Both manuals and autos are rated with the same maximum torque of 343 N-m at 2400 RPM, and it's torque that really matters (manufacturers trying to preserve their automatic transmissions drop torque, not horsepower). The biggest difference is the loss from the automatic box, not the engines themselves.

• 2 years later...
On 05/06/2015 at 11:49 PM, Flyboy1218 said:

Hey guys,

Just got my new 06 GTB 6SPD Manual and Im loving it so far!

According to https://vimeo.com/21452160, there is a difference in power.

Is the engine a little difference even though it's EJ20T?

Cheers.

Mate, have to driven both the auto and manual of this or similar models? Trying to work out if the manual really is any better to drive, as there are so few about I'm not sure if I can wait for a manual, plus they're a lot more expensive?

On 6/6/2015 at 11:19 AM, Joker said:

I only came here to say stop calling it EJ20t

But then people would have to learn engine codes, that's never going to happen. We'll tackle that when we manage to get people to stop calling the Gen 4 H6 "EZ30R"...

• Like 1