Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Torque Performance?

• 4 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread. But would like to know what you guys think when comparing Torque Performance to Possum Bourne Motorsport for getting my 04 WRX STI tuned? Anyone had experience with both? Just spoke to Possum and they have a real in depth approach to tuning, complete with checking your car is up to scratch, leak test, normal driving optimization, cold start and warm up tuning, adjusting throttle response, full power dyno tune across all rpms and gears and also a road test. Heard a number of good reviews for Torque performance too. Trying to pick the best tuner

I'll be going PBMS once they get their DYNO up and running as they have informed me it might be up and running around early JAN 2016. They provided me similar information as you Niran, hence the more reason why I trust them, and they have honest friendly services.

They might be slightly pricy, but I rather "Do it once, do it right" instead of being sorry later on, and I know for sure PBMS will look after me for my future endeavours. Also got my sump baffled there !! I'm real happy with their service, they also tuned my previous STi 03 when Garry Capper was there

Personally I would just take it to dtech, save you money and they are every bit as good if not better than Pbms. I thought Pbms were using Eandh these days or just tuning them on the road.

I can tell you how to tune a car in basic good english too. Does that make me an honest friendly tuner? Hell no. Go on other peoples results and experiences not a simple promise over the phone.

I had my first tune done by gcp/pbms and it made good power but **** other than that. Fuel map off in off boost/cruise regions so thirsty as. The cold start wasnt even touched and i left it there for a few days so it could be tuned... Told me cold start might need a little bit of work which turned into no didnt tune it at all i could help you do it over the phone. Paid for a full tune and said it was a daily...result vs expectation fail.

Ahh so hard to choose! I have only heard good things about Torque Performance and they have done plenty of V8 STIs too. All raving about how good the tune was. Im expecting a similar result to this:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.965656496832293.1073741939.380289938702288&type=3

I should have similar mods before getting it tuned. They are $1300 for the full tune, with money back or retune quarentee within 14 days.

Anyone on here had a tune from Torque Performance?

Can't speak for any of the mentioned companies, but I had a tune on stock V7 WRX ECU done at Speedtech in Wellington. The tune results were good all round and customer service is good too. I believe their tuner Chris is well known in the Wellington area.

They used opensource stuff to tune so the ECU is still unlocked. Tune was $1295 all up.

• 11 months later...

sorry for bumping this thread but a year on, hows everyones opinion of TP? especially interested in comparison between torque performance, possum bourne and dtech.. and then any others in auckland area (i know dtech aint in auckland but its so highly spoken of around here). my priority order is : good tune, price, local. being in west auckland, TP is very close by so i count that for something too (return trip to dtech is about $150 of petrol + 5 hrs driving) but all the times i drove past i just see hondas, alwyas thought it was just some kind of honda dealership until now.

Whos tuning at pbms now? Never heard a bad word about dtech with subarus and they are the most fickle of cars. Except for people who go in expecting to make 1000hp on a vf30 type thing.

I would stay away from tp. Unless theyve got a decent tuner now.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

sorry for bumping this thread but a year on, hows everyones opinion of TP? especially interested in comparison between torque performance, possum bourne and dtech.. and then any others in auckland area (i know dtech aint in auckland but its so highly spoken of around here). my priority order is : good tune, price, local. being in west auckland, TP is very close by so i count that for something too (return trip to dtech is about $150 of petrol + 5 hrs driving) but all the times i drove past i just see hondas, alwyas thought it was just some kind of honda dealership until now.

Give PBMS a call, I can't comment on their Tuner - I've not met him, but Julius the manager is pretty approachable no harm in giving them a call to allay any doubts, 40 mins to them from here in Onehunga - so a wee bit of a trip from out West, but nothing like Tauranga.

They have a nice modern dyno cell, that they bought from Speedsource, fully setup for Top mount coolers and external wast gate exhaust, and i imagine their pricing is very competitive as they are wanting to establish a good customer base and reputation.

I'll be having mine run up for boost setup after a Turbo swap.

Edited by BC5RA
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, gotasuby said:

Their tuner was at mega meet. A guy from chile. Nice bloke, had a good chat to him. Obviously no idea how good of a tuner he is but was definitely knowledgeable. Definitely give Julius a call as he is worth having a chat to

Will watch with interest.

Hi team, Julius from Possum Bourne Motorsport here. Note: I may be going a little off topic, sorry about that!

I will start by saying that I never want to involve myself with any of the S***-talking that goes on between dyno tuners in our small industry in NZ. It seems like you can do 100 great tunes, then 1 bad one can kill a reputation overnight. We aren't in the business of tearing anyone else down, all we want to do is great work that we can stand behind, at a fair and reasonable price - which I'd hope other tuning shops also aspire to.

What a lot of people get hung up on, is that they wouldn't do what someone else has done in a tune, because it's not their personal preference. Sure there are some facets of tuning where there is a right and wrong way to do things, but for the most part it's all subjective and down to the individual tuner to decide how to skin the cat, so to speak.

I personally have heard of great results from both TP and Dtech. If you have used them (or any other tuner), have had a good experience and a good relationship with them, then i'd alway encourage you to take your car to someone you know, trust and them knowing the car is always a plus. Whilst I don't know anyone at TP, I know Dave at Dtech quite well - he is actually engineering some state of the art software for our dyno to be at the cutting edge. He has a great depth of knowledge, and I believe the guy that does most of his tuning on day to day cars is top notch as well, as is Tony who runs the shop.

About PBMS and our tuner:

No matter who is tuning or performing any work on your car at PBMS, we back our workmanship 100%. We will do everything in our power to provide you the best job we can, within the budget we're give, and will always let you know about any issues we find along the way, getting approval before performing any extra work that may be required. With our workmanship warranty, if you do happen to find something isn't quite right, we will always come to the party and investigate it for you free of charge. If it is indeed our fault, then we will always replace, repair, adjust, re-tune or do whatever it takes to get it right. If we tuned your engine, and it was clearly our fault that it blew up (hasn't happened yet, touch wood) then we would replace your engine, or build you another equivalent one, end of story.

Our tuner/team:

Including myself, we actually have 3 guys in our team that can tune - which is great for problem solving when the issues pop up, and adds depth to the whole service we provide. When is comes to our actual tuner, there is only one that we get to do the actual tuning work - KB. As you've already discussed, he's from Chile. We got him over as we couldn't find anyone with the experience, qualifications or trust locally. KB ticked all the boxes - he's got the intellect to do the job well, with a degree in automotive engineering behind him, he has been tuning for over 10 years in his home country, where he ran his own tuning business as one of the few South American dealers for brands like AEM and later Haltech. His partnership with Haltech went pretty deep - he has done many of their training courses. He also worked as a head engineer for the OEM manufacturer Lucas/Delphi. We brought him over at great expense, as we know he's as good as, if not better than most NZ tuners.

In his own words 'I love physics which are the principals behind engine tuning, and I love cars, especially fast ones'.

If anyone has further questions - please let me know. Best way to get in touch is via email - [email protected].

Cheers, 

Julius

• Like 9