Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Torque Performance?

For the prices pbms charge,  I would just take it to dtech, you will save the 150 dollars you pay on petrol, I am very confident about that. They don't just tune hondas there's another shop there renowned for that, it's not dtech.  All I would say is, they brought the Chilean guy over at great expense, in all honesty who do you think ends up paying for that? Santaclaus? I think not, the people getting the cars tuned. 

2 hours ago, Username said:

For the prices pbms charge,  I would just take it to dtech, you will save the 150 dollars you pay on petrol, I am very confident about that. They don't just tune hondas there's another shop there renowned for that, it's not dtech.  All I would say is, they brought the Chilean guy over at great expense, in all honesty who do you think ends up paying for that? Santaclaus? I think not, the people getting the cars tuned. 

That's great and all, but do you have any actual numbers or experience?

Businesses don't hire professionals to charge the customer more, they pay for themselves.

@Niran took his car to TP and he wasnt happy i think you might find in his blog about his car the outputs of the TP tune and it was terrible so he ended up going to DTech in tauranga....and have driven his car and flip it drives nice with the tune that dtech did.

11 hours ago, Username said:

Hi Username,

If your preference is Dtech - that is great, they are amongst the top tuners in NZ, and one of the few other shops i'd be confident enough to take my own car to.

I do know we are slightly more expensive than Dtech, our pricing is based on our local competitors (If we wanted to make oodles of money, we wouldn't have chosen the motorsport/performance game, we'd be building houses or something). In our neighbourhood we charge similar to our competitors but attempt to provide a higher level of customer service, support, courtesy cars, event/club sponsorship (including the CS 2017 Calendar) and more stuff to come.

11 hours ago, evowrx said:

What is a full tune worth @PBMS? Obviously its not about price when youre tuning cars but whats a full day on the dyno cost if theres no issues?

A full PBMS tune, includes a comprehensive pre-tune inspection (taking upto an hour and a half) to test all the basics, static fuel flow, intake system pressure leaks, setup of fuel pressure (if required), setup of ECU etc, then an entire day on the dyno, then a cold start tune, finally a road tune/adjustment is $1200+GST/$1380inc. We could most certainly pump tunes out in half the time, without inspection for $800, and have them 60% as good, then get a bad name real quick - but that ain't what we're about. We're about taking the time required to do a quality/thorough for a fair price, to protect our name and your pride and joy.

• Like 9

Oh and just a word of advice from someone that has been down this route before. Its not really about the company that you go to and their reviews (they do provide value don't get me wrong), its more about the person doing the tuning of your vehicle, and their experience and knowledge. So wherever you choose, find out who that will be, find out more about them and what they've done first. Once you know who is going to do your tune, you'll have a lot more confidence about what you are going to get. Chris who used to work for D-tech did my tune, and he was an absolute wiz at it and had plenty of experience. He now has his own business, Prestige tuning I think (in Wellington).

I vote PBMS or Dtech, have a chat to both and make a decision :)

Edited by Niran
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PBMS said:

A full PBMS tune, includes a comprehensive pre-tune inspection (taking upto an hour and a half) to test all the basics, static fuel flow, intake system pressure leaks, setup of fuel pressure (if required), setup of ECU etc, then an entire day on the dyno, then a cold start tune, finally a road tune/adjustment is $1200+GST/$1380inc. We could most certainly pump tunes out in half the time, without inspection for $800, and have them 60% as good, then get a bad name real quick - but that ain't what we're about. We're about taking the time required to do a quality/thorough for a fair price, to protect our name and your pride and joy.

Sounds fair. Pricings on par with Auck imo with added service.

Feel free to start another thread or I can split this its easy to keep it on the forum for easy reference rather than on fb.

• Like 3

• Admin
On 12/6/2016 at 8:33 AM, PBMS said:

I'll create an album on FB and post up the link so I don't take over this thread anymore

Just saying, I'm more than happy with you taking over the thread xD 

Side note, I think I asked but my memory is worse than a fish. Flex Fuel tune cost por favor.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey mate, we typically do a power run for $159 but on a dyno day or for CS members it's $129. You get a dyno power sheet and we'll give you a report on the suitability of air/fuel ratio, detonation and any other noticeable issues we find. 

Julius // PBMS

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I went to TP initially with my v9 STI. Got talking to a young guy who didn't seem to know too much about Subaru's, so guessing their subie tunner wasn't in, no big deal. Conversation went south when he started hassling the look of my car, pretty unprofessional. 

Went to PBMS for ECU re-map. The team were very helpful...initially, but. Car has been back 4 times (I think, lost count)  for retuning, which I can sorted understand but the more times I went back the less they cared to address my problems. For example, after 2nd tune the car was pretty in drivable (1st tune car was over boosting). Was told there was a fault in their tunning software, I wasn't told of this until I called them. 3rd time back I mentioned car is smoking in stand-still AK traffic, upon pick up of car, nothing had been done or looked at in regards to this, didn't seem interested. Last tune, on pick up car wasn't even running properly, was told ECU had to re-learn fuel map (or something like that) so after waiting around for them, car was working eventually. Still no interest in smoking car and couldn't tell me what power output, best answer I got was 220kw, 210kw, 200kw, so who knows what power I'm now making. Can only assume no interest in my car, just get rid of me was the feeling I got. 

I hate to poo poo on people as The @PBMS team are very friendly (the guy at TP was just a dick, no reflection of the company), but this has been my experience, started out good but went down hill real quick and no fault of my own or my car.

I am interested in other people's recommendations for tunning as I'm not having a particularly good run.

• Like 1

• General Member

Interesting 'run' you've got there BUUUUUT how does a tune stop a car from smoking? that sounds slightly mechanical to me? Odd as it does sound like you're being fobbed off a bit here

Did you ask PBMS to check out why it was smoking? Just asking as if if you only mentioned it and did not ask for it to be looked at then its  not their responsibility to sort it out. Like any good workshop they should not do any work if you haven't specifically requested it.

I have read other post in garage sections etc where people have had to go back a few times to get their tunes sorted correctly (from different tuners)

I don't know the full situation, but could there be other issues that could be affecting their tune?

Also your attitude to them could cause them not to wan tto deal with it again (not saying that is the case at all with you, but sometimes people expect certain things and when they don't get what they were expecting they can get pissy and annoy the staff) 

• Like 2

i've been back a million times post tune (for somethings that were in the end tune related and others not) but they've been helpful every single time, giving me the benefit of the doubt when it seemed borderline between mechanical or tune. if i were you and convinced that it had something to do with the tune then get in touch with Julius, say hey can you please look in to this, if related to tune it's yours to resolve (which I'm pretty sure they'll agree to as they offer warranty on their tunes) and if not related to tune, I will pay to have you fix it. that's only fair, can't blame the tuner for everything. relationship between enthusiast and tuner / mechanics should be a trusting one which goes both ways, if you find you can't trust the team then move on but i just wanted to share that my experience with PBMS, the way they dealt with my issues along with support from Ajay at Subirex had me sold as a client for life to both garages for their own respective areas of expertise.

• Like 5

The tune stuff I can understand as I figured it'll take a couple of goes to get it right. Four goes in, I guess thats how it is.

As for the car smoking, I don't know if it is related to the tune, that was my concern. They didn't seem to think anything of it (didn't notice, or car ran fine within tuning?), but it still does it.

I usually deal with a different shop for mechanical stuff (I prefer to stick to 1 shop), and its been in there but nothing major found, so still a mystery to me.

I am interested to try a different tuner to see if its running too rich or something, not for more "power" or something like that.

I'm not trying to "have a go" at PBMS, just sharing my experience. The car runs nicely aside from what I mentioned. I don't think they would have done anything intentionally, its just the lack of interest and explanation I suppose.

As for my attitude? Isn't any or none intended. As I sad, I have always found Julius and other PBMS staff to be friendly.

Just my experience.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, walshmaine said:

The tune stuff I can understand as I figured it'll take a couple of goes to get it right. Four goes in, I guess thats how it is.

As for the car smoking, I don't know if it is related to the tune, that was my concern. They didn't seem to think anything of it (didn't notice, or car ran fine within tuning?), but it still does it.

I usually deal with a different shop for mechanical stuff (I prefer to stick to 1 shop), and its been in there but nothing major found, so still a mystery to me.

I am interested to try a different tuner to see if its running too rich or something, not for more "power" or something like that.

I'm not trying to "have a go" at PBMS, just sharing my experience. The car runs nicely aside from what I mentioned. I don't think they would have done anything intentionally, its just the lack of interest and explanation I suppose.

As for my attitude? Isn't any or none intended. As I sad, I have always found Julius and other PBMS staff to be friendly.

Just my experience.

well in Auckland there is also ST Hitec and a few others if you wanted to get your tune cross referenced or something like that. the other popular option is Dtech but they are out in Tauranga. all of these options will cost you about $1k with each tuner for the first consultation with them, then they generally tend to charge by the hour for subsequent visits. if you just wanted to check if it's running rich or lean, well do you have a wideband o2 sensor installed? that could be a cheaper option and useful for future tuning purposes.

1 hour ago, Batbaruman said:

that my experience with PBMS, the way they dealt with my issues along with support from Ajay at Subirex had me sold as a client for life to both garages for their own respective areas of expertise.

Same here, Ajay is a legend, And at pbms I've only dealt with Julius and never had any problems, he always put the extra effort in even though my car is old and far from being in good nic haha

I live aaaages away from both places but still only take the Rs to these 2 places

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

well in Auckland there is also ST Hitec and a few others if you wanted to get your tune cross referenced or something like that. the other popular option is Dtech but they are out in Tauranga. all of these options will cost you about $1k with each tuner for the first consultation with them, then they generally tend to charge by the hour for subsequent visits. if you just wanted to check if it's running rich or lean, well do you have a wideband o2 sensor installed? that could be a cheaper option and useful for future tuning purposes.

I have kinda heard of that Tauranga tuner before, but never looked into them, but good call thanks.

I think a wideband is a good idea and is next on cards