Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Brewtrolium... YAY or NAY??

Some subys don't seem to like it

It's another name for Gull 98 - 10% ethanol blend

For what it's worth you can get more horseypowers out of it than normal 98, downside is I know my last gtb ran like a bag of poos when cold on it

I was reluctant to use it at first, I have asked Gull many questions regarding where to get Gull Force 10 and how long the 'Brewtrolium' promotion will run for. The only answer they would give me is that it exactly the same as Force 10. I finally found out from my local server that the promotion will run for 6 weeks and that apparently it is identical to Force 10 because once the by-product is turned into ethanol it doesn't matter what the source was. So essentially it is exactly the same gas, I have been using it for the past two weeks after I found out this info and it runs exactly like Force 10 does. Long story short, it's the same gas because once the ethanol is formed the by-product no longer exists and can have no effect what so ever on the quality.

• General Member

you mean like the imports from certain years with the wrong rubber components that might take a few years to deteriorate & leak, thus saying "It runs fine now" has no merit?

http://www.subaru.co.nz/about/environment

http://www.subaru.co.nz/about/environment#Biofuels

Ethanol suitability for Subarus

Most Subarus purchased new in New Zealand since 1990 are capable of running on the ethanol blended fuel now being introduced to the local market.

However any Japanese domestic specification models which have been imported here second hand (i.e.). second hand Japanese imports - should not be run on the ethanol blended fuel.

These cars are only suitable for 3 percent blended fuels. The fuel being sold in New Zealand has a 10 percent ethanol blend.

The 10 percent ethanol blended fuel could cause damage to the fuel line, fuel injector sealing, fuel pump or fuel regulator of these second hand Japanese imports. The fumes from the blended fuel after combustion can also have a harmful effect on the catalytic converter, the exhaust gas regulator and the muffler.

Those Subarus which can use the 10 percent ethanol blended fuel have a 17 digit VIN number beginning with either JF1 or JF2. The VIN number can be found at the bottom of the central door pillar on the passenger’s side of the car or in the engine bay.

The second hand Japanese imports which should not use the ethanol blended fuel have VIN numbers starting with 7A8.

A small number of models sold new in New Zealand cannot use the 10 percent blended fuel. They are.-

Legacy RS, Legacy GT, Legacy GTB, Legacy RSK and Legacy Blitzen from 1990 onwards; the Impreza STI from 1997 onwards and the Forester STI. They do not have JF1 or JF2 VIN numbers.

Owners who are not sure if they can use the ethanol-blended fuel in their car should consult their nearest Subaru Authorised Dealer.

In Summary

DO NOT USE Ethanol Blended Fuel - E5 or E10 if your car is:

• A Subaru with VIN Number that starts with 7A8, or
  • Second hand Japanese imported Subaru, or
  • A New Zealand New Subaru that is any of these models:

• Legacy RS, Legacy GT, Legacy GTB, Legacy RSK and Legacy Blitzen

• Impreza STI

• Forester STI

CAN USE Ethanol Blended Fuel - E5 or E10

• Only New Zealand new Subarus models 1990 onwards with a VIN number beginning with JF1 or JF2 may use E5 or E10 blended fuels

Note: The VIN number is a 17-digit number that can be found at the bottom of the central door pillar on the passenger's side of the car or in the engine bay.

For more information relating to ethanol biofuel, visit http://www.eeca.govt.nz/renewable-energy/biofuels/index.html

does that cover it? or did I get off-track

Please note: Several places all contradicting each other

2. The Motor Industry Association notesthat for Japanese used import vehiclesethanol blends over 3 per cent are notrecommended.

3. The Independent Motor Vehicle DealersAssociation endorses the use of GullForce 10 for used vehicles importedfrom Japan which are designed to runon 98 octane fuel.

4. There is ongoing government researchon the suitability of 10% ethanol blendswith Japanese imported vehicles.Results to date shows no signs ofcorrosion of engine parts under stressfulconditions.

5. Both Gull Regular Plus and Gull Force10 contains an international corrosioninhibitor to further protect your vehicle.

6. Gull Regular Plus and Gull Force 10 areof the highest standard and in addition,Gull warranties all Gull fuel to meet NewZealand fuel specifications.

Short answer - some places say no, some say yes, use at your own discretion/risk

crosdp_sti said:
ohhhhh dam gull is cheapest here.. but looks like bp might be the go. I still gt half a tank of this stuff in my outback

I've got the same problem. Plus the fact my car doesn't go as well on BP, might try Mobil

crosdp_sti said:
yeh ill go back to 95 at pak,n,save hahahhahah cheaper and im pretty dam sure its supplied by Mobil.. don't think I really need to run 98 with the H6?

All gas in NZ comes from the same place.

The only difference is the additives each company uses to make it 98.

• 6 months later...
  • General Member

I skipped a lot of this

someone school me on Synergy 8000 from Mobil, simply what octane is it supposed to be? Seen on the net 'minimum 97.5' stated on the pumps & not even sure if its available in my location etc

http://www.mobil.co.nz/New_Zealand-English/PA/products_fuels_auto_qanda.aspx

as good as or better than BP 98? or does it fall into the 'dont use' category