Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

buying a turbo for big power

resurrection.inc

ballsrburning said:
I was curious so checked my dyno graphs and I will confirm the vf28 only makes around 110 kW at 3500 rpm my gtx3071r is basically the same at 120 kW. But by 4000 rpm there's a whole lot of difference. Basically my car comes on boost the same time it used to with a much smaller turbo.

Boost does not mean much powar. Russ you were one i was referring too. No avcs too and big cams winning in your case.

• Admin

Yep a well setup GT30 sized turbo will be better everywhere on the curve over a VF.

People don't really consider how a much larger turbine and housing will hugely help the engine breathe when it's in vacuum/low boost.

Also I have learned through experimenting that the number of psi you're pulling is largely irrelevant, the thing that defines how the car drives is what the torque curve looks like, anything else is largely incidental.

Much like an RPM gauge throws people off so does a boost gauge, people get hung up on "oh it's only making 8psi at x rpm" - yeah but it's pulling like a train still, so does it matter? Ditto for if you have a gearbox with short legs on it

Some motors are just happier working at a given band and people get hung up on it - ditto for a given psi number. I know I have a bit of WTF when I drive say a flashed evo with 25psi @ redline - I'm so used to most of the cars I've had being out of their comfort zone much over 1 bar I just assume they're about to assplode

Then drive an XR6T with bulk power at 10psi and have to double take again, the numbers dont matter as much as the actual pull

• Admin
 Marky said:
Much like an RPM gauge throws people off so does a boost gauge, people get hung up on "oh it's only making 8psi at x rpm" - yeah but it's pulling like a train still, so does it matter? Ditto for if you have a gearbox with short legs on it

Just for lols, I don't have a single gauge that Mr. Subaru didn't fit my car with, and I don't have any intention to.

"How much boost does it make?"

"Heaps."

• Admin
 loner said:
I'm sorry, was your comment constructive, or just you being a numpty?

It was reiterating the earlier point that at the end of the day numbers like the level of boost you're running, or fundamentally things like the number you pull on a dyno, go completely out the window the moment you drive out of the dyno bay, and are completely irrelevant other than from a mildly interesting point of view.

Chances are that by the time an aftermarket gauge tells you anything something has gone irreparably wrong with the car and you've probably noticed from another symptom (loss of power or all your oil falling out the hole in the block or something).

But, being that you're either a. a bit thick or b. a bit belligerent or c. both, minus the "bit", you obviously didn't notice.

boon said:
It was reiterating the earlier point that at the end of the day numbers like the level of boost you're running, or fundamentally things like the number you pull on a dyno, go completely out the window the moment you drive out of the dyno bay, and are completely irrelevant other than from a mildly interesting point of view.

Chances are that by the time an aftermarket gauge tells you anything something has gone irreparably wrong with the car and you've probably noticed from another symptom (loss of power or all your oil falling out the hole in the block or something).

But, being that you're either a. a bit thick or b. a bit belligerent or c. both, minus the "bit", you obviously didn't notice.

I apologise profusely Boon... I just took your comments as being typically pretentious... it seems I was mistaken. It won't happen again.

boon said:

This is the exact reason I went digital dash linked with G4 link computer. The link/dash have safety features built in (the dash lights up like a xmas tree if anything goes wrong, and it's straight in line of vision) already saved the engine once when a fitting failed spilling all the oil everywhere in the engine bay. Engine went into safety and I shut it down immideatly.

• Like 1