Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BL BP Exhaust Thread

McDoof

Just a bit of thread where we can cover all questions and answers for the various exhaust options and so on.

What have you got?

What works?

What doesn't?

I have a MY05 ADM 3.0R SpecB 6 speed.

Exhaust setup is

Raptor Headers -> Stock Cats -> Custom 2.5" piping to Y -> 3rd cat delete -> Stock cat back

Tuned to make the most of it :-)

Edited by McDoof

I've got 07 twinscroll Legacy BP5 GTB and have the STI genome exhausts. They are not to every ones taste but they sound nice and quiet most of the time untill you floor it, very subtle rumble sound over stock. I wanted STI as its a bolt on and shouldnt count as a mod for mechanical warranty as its made for the car by subaru

Right, 03 BL5 2L twinscroll turbo 5speed

Good thread for me as I've had a few different exhaust combinations.

Stock, quite obviously is a Prius.

Kakimoto N1 spec (I think) catback, power felt good and sounded amazing however it was very droney at 100km and just far too loud in general.

Kakimoto N1 spec mid-pipe with stock mufflers, very slightly louder, no performance gains at all.

Kakimoto N1 spec mufflers with stock mid-pipe, again, sounded good but ridiculously loud (done a test and is actually louder with the kakimoto mufflers then with no mufflers at all)

STI BP5 Genomes with stock mid-pipe, exactly as SpecB/Killervq has said, quite around town, loud when you open them up. Sounds okay but slightly raspy for my liking.

STI BP5 Genomes with Stock mid-pipe but Subtech downpipe. Basically the same, however slightly louder at idle and round town but ridiculous at WOT (Still not droney so okay for me!)

I am busy experimenting with my setup a bit. The Ultrex mufflers are a bit loud for me at times so I am running the stock mufflers right now after having a bit of a tinker this weekend.

Result is actually very quiet. But it is missing the deeper tones from the 3.0R that I get from the Ultrex units. Strangely I think that I have better torque delivery with the stock mufflers on.

I think I am going to keep an eye out for some STI quad tips to try and find a balance.

The other option is to put the Ultrex mufflers back on and try to silence it a bit in the mid section. Just not looking at spending any more money on the car at this point.

This is my setup

03 BP5 GT Spec B Auto

Subtech downpipe -> Custom mid section -> Into Genome tips

Pic of the mid section before being bolted back onto the downpipe

19360549319_8f872a5383_z.jpg

With the height of my car and the way the rear sway bar sits the exhaust hangs a bit too low for a perfect setup but doesn't scrape everywhere I go (which is good)

Overall I am very happy with my setup now :)

Certainly looks better than my stuff, That said, I really didn't pay very much for the fabrication work. My only "complaint" as such is that the bends are not mandrel bent. But he compensated for that by going up to 2.5"

20150706_151023-1_zpsuv3aqac7.jpg

20150706_155707_zps7xgo5iyn.jpg

Just a little something for those with a 3.0R planning on getting the Raptor headers fitted.

The stock headers include the 2 main cats and one side includes the 3rd cat which is the Y piece. So the stock headers are cut off in front of the cats and a short piece of 2.25 is welded in with a new flange that is provided with the headers. I would replace that whole front section. It's double walled so the inner tube is only 1.8" the same as the rear Y after the split. Also the 3rd cat is apparently the most restrictive part of the system so that really needs to go, regardless. That way you are prepared to bulk out the rest of the system to 2.25" or 2.5" rather than having to go back and do it again later.

Getting my headers fitted and getting the front section re-made cost me around $500, plus the cost of the headers was about the same again.

Headers attached to stock cats

12bed7f8-653c-44e1-98f0-0fdc9cad2e23_zps

Stock headers cut off

IMG_20151003_153400_zpsosg7s8pn.jpg

Just a shot of the newly created front section

fc3b3310-cb82-453e-ac5e-ff21b5f869a4_zps

Edited by McDoof

My vehicle machine: 04 spec B Legacy (manual)

Don't really have any pics on me atm (there are on my build thread, if you're nosy) but exhaust is as follows:

- Subtech downpipe

- Mine's high flow midpipe

- GReddy Power extreme II mufflers

Power difference VS stock is really quite substantial, much more low-mid tq

Audio is eargasmic, though a tad on the loud side (will invest in some silencers for daily use)

Yet to tune ;)

im-a-bus said:
My vehicle machine: 04 spec B Legacy (manual)

Don't really have any pics on me atm (there are on my build thread, if you're nosy) but exhaust is as follows:

- Subtech downpipe

- Mine's high flow midpipe

- GReddy Power extreme II mufflers

Power difference VS stock is really quite substantial, much more low-mid tq

Audio is eargasmic, though a tad on the loud side (will invest in some silencers for daily use)

Yet to tune ;)

Book yourself in for a tune with Matt (throttlehappy). He is in Auckland on the 23rd and 24th. I'll pm his email to you if you want it.

sobanoodle said:
What size pipework for the headers (past the cats)? 2.25" or 2.5"? The rest of the system is 2.5".

The bit after the cats is 2.5" but not mandrel bent so effectively only 2.25 in throughput. After the Y the "catback" is stock at this point. So I am still restricted at the rear of the system. Don't have the budget to do it right at this point so I would rather leave it until I have the money to get it done the way I want it. I am on the lookout for a set of pre facelift GT mufflers so I can make some custom mufflers. Basically gonna gut the muffler and put a perforated tube between the inlet and outlet with wadding in the muffler to absorb sound. It needs to flow without being loud.

sobanoodle said:
That was a general question, sorry :) Not about your particular system, McDoof.

Doh !

Anyway. Hey sobanoodle, were you selling the HKS mufflers on Trademe a little while ago? I was tempted. But as I said above. My car budget is limited. Things like mortgage, wife and 3 kids seem to take priority for some unknown reason.