Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BL BP Exhaust Thread

McDoof

• 4 months later...

Does anyone happen to have a subtech down pipe followed by the invidia q300? If so would you recommend?   

I currently have the q300 but I'm wondering if the gain in performance is worth it. I've been told it can add a certain raspiness. I'm planning to trade in my 5spd auto for a 6spd in the somewhat near future and then I'll be focusing more on performance upgrades and swapping over the aesthetic stuff that's currently on it. So I'd rather just enjoy the sound of the q300 for now if it will make a big difference. 

Cheers

• Admin

Imagine it will sound fairly similar to mine with a decatted stock downpipe. Both mild steel without any additional muffling. I like the way mine sounds compared to some other setups, but equally like the sound of a few others better. It's a very subjective matter. Wouldn't say raspiness is an issue from inside the cabin at least.

If you're not planning on keeping it I wouldn't bother until you got a manual. Different mounting points means it’s not a 5 second bolt in affair. 

Also if a bigger turbo is ever on your radar i’d hold off buying a subtech and put the money towards one that'll fit with whatever route you take.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/07/2019 at 2:23 PM, sobanoodle said:

Long gone sorry. Have STI quads if you fancy those.

Are those the mufflers from the S402? Can you post a couple of pics? Will they fit a 07 JDM spec B? Cheers.

10 hours ago, ambach said:

Are those the mufflers from the S402? Can you post a couple of pics? Will they fit a 07 JDM spec B? Cheers.

Tuned by STI and probably the same ones on S402 too. Mine are a wagon version so yes will bolt right on.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys, 

Quick query. The current exhaust set up on my legacy is a subtech catless downpipe pair with a custom 3" cat back, featuring no resonators and a small muffler on one side. (Aestheticly still has dual exits but functionally only one flows).  

https://flic.kr/p/2hP5yfH - Pretty terrible photo but you get the idea 

As you can imagine it is stupid loud, and for the sake of my neighbours and my next wof, whats the best/most simple way to go around hushing it up a little whist not restricting flow too much.

My first thought was an adrenaline R resonator as they advertise it as a mid muffler but would that actually make much of a difference to loudness or just tone? 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2406906417

Another option was a 3 inch in 3 inch out mid muffler I found on trade me

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2403618595

Any advice ?? 

Can you post a couple pictures of under the car so we can see how it has been done.

I am a big fan of the results I’ve had from adrenalinR products. I have used them on two cars and both times they made a solid reduction in volume. They definitely change the tone making the note a fair bit deeper which you may like but it does also strip some of the spool noises from the exhaust.

Obviously the longer the resonator the greater the reduction in volume. You will probably be able to fit a 400 or  maybe 450mm one into the section in front of the rear diff but it really depends on how it has been done.

Also you can purchase their products directly from their website.

http://www.adrenalinr.com/productdetail.php?productID=530

3 hours ago, IZichard said:

Can you post a couple pictures of under the car so we can see how it has been done.

I am a big fan of the results I’ve had from adrenalinR products. I have used them on two cars and both times they made a solid reduction in volume. They definitely change the tone making the note a fair bit deeper which you may like but it does also strip some of the spool noises from the exhaust.

Obviously the longer the resonator the greater the reduction in volume. You will probably be able to fit a 400 or  maybe 450mm one into the section in front of the rear diff but it really depends on how it has been done.

Also you can purchase their products directly from their website.

http://www.adrenalinr.com/productdetail.php?productID=530

Can do, These were from a couple months back but still the same thing. 

IMG_0096

IMG_0097

That is a very interesting exhaust setup.

I would imagine the missing muffler on one side is causing a large amount of the noise since it is just a straight pipe from the turbo.

Adding a resonator in the middle would be a good start but you will definitely need to have proper muffling at the rear if you want to really reduce the volume.

1 hour ago, IZichard said:

That is a very interesting exhaust setup.

I would imagine the missing muffler on one side is causing a large amount of the noise since it is just a straight pipe from the turbo.

Adding a resonator in the middle would be a good start but you will definitely need to have proper muffling at the rear if you want to really reduce the volume.

Sorry mate, I should have been more obvious in the original post. The right hand side exit is actually fake and there is no flow through it. It's just there to fill in the bumper gap and I like the look of the quad tip with out dropping $1400 on a q300. 

Never the less I think I'll grab an adrenaline R resonator and see how that goes. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cnicolson said:

Sorry mate, I should have been more obvious in the original post. The right hand side exit is actually fake and there is no flow through it. It's just there to fill in the bumper gap and I like the look of the quad tip with out dropping $1400 on a q300. 

Never the less I think I'll grab an adrenaline R resonator and see how that goes. 

Cheers!

Yeah I read that but then I saw the picture and it looked like it was actually connected. Just be careful to measure up and get one that will fill the gap nicely, it will save you a bunch of headache when fitting it.

There's fark all clearance where stock one goes, as it's flat and wide. It does pretty good job too and as soon as you get rid of it you'd run into all sorts of noise related issues. 

I had an AdrenalinR resonator/mid muffler installed and even though mine was only very moderately lowered I'd still scrape the thing every now and then...

If the vehicle in question is the one I think of (resides or used to in Kingsland) then sorry but it sound horrendous. In my humble opinion of course. Can only imagine what it sounds like from the inside.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

There's fark all clearance where stock one goes, as it's flat and wide. It does pretty good job too and as soon as you get rid of it you'd run into all sorts of noise related issues. 

I had an AdrenalinR resonator/mid muffler installed and even though mine was only very moderately lowered I'd still scrape the thing every now and then...

If the vehicle in question is the one I think of (resides or used to in Kingsland) then sorry but it sound horrendous. In my humble opinion of course. Can only imagine what it sounds like from the inside.

Yep, pretty sure you’ve got the right one. I agree to an extent as I haven’t had the pleasure of hearing it from the outside yet - I’m not sure I want to if I’m honest. 

I did think about clearance and the car does sit quite low so might have to rule that one out. I do have the stock cat back from my last car so I could potentially try an cut the mid section and fab it in to the current system. Not sure how that would go with the 3” piping. 

Or just go with the stock mid pipe and find some nice mufflers/muffler delete.

Eventually I’d like to have the invidia q300 but I’m unsure about throwing that much money into the exhaust at the moment. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Noob question - are the mufflers easy enough to remove at home? I picked up a pair of the Genome mufflers and want to chuck them on my wagon :) Has anyone done it themselves?

I had a quick look under the car and saw how they're fitted. Seem's to be a couple of bolts and these rubber fasteners.

I've tried Goggling for a step-by-step set of instructions or a how-to video but haven't had any luck.

Cheers.

Manny.