Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

stereo fitting kit

Rzalza

• Admin

Do you have single/dual aircon? Does you air con separate from the HU? Some can, some can't. Makes a difference to what kit you can use

Thats one of the single zone A/C versions

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/accessories/auction-987688916.htm

Can't get them much cheaper overseas really. Exchange rate and shipping tends to even it up a fair bit

Edited by Andy_Mac

WRGT04 said:
I got this from aussie last week. http://www.ebay.com/itm/272041643621?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Didn't need climate controls cos' the facia clips onto the ac unit. There was no way I was going to spend $600+ for that.

Lol what - AUD150+shipping for a piece of plastic and guessing no correct brackets? Certainly a good deal ;)

It may be a piece of plastic, but you don't really need another set of ac controls now do you? Brackets fit perfect, it clips right on to the ac unit just like the mcintosh unit does. What more do you really need? I'd rather spend $600 on something more worthwhile, but that's just me.

sobanoodle said:
I think it's only preface that had split units as well as one piece.

And yep, OEM stuff is always overpriced, especially when there's no alternatives. :/

You guys have the facelift model yeah? You guys can't split yours? I have (had) the premium mcintosh system too wouldn't it be the same with yours?

WRGT04 said:
You guys have the facelift model yeah? You guys can't split yours? I have (had) the premium mcintosh system too wouldn't it be the same with yours?

I have a facelift currently and it's a one piece kenwood unit (dual zone) - all facelift are one piece from what I've seen

Pre-facelift had both split and one piece units (my jdm BL5 had a one piece)

WRGT04 said:
It may be a piece of plastic, but you don't really need another set of ac controls now do you? Brackets fit perfect, it clips right on to the ac unit just like the mcintosh unit does. What more do you really need? I'd rather spend $600 on something more worthwhile, but that's just me.

You do not get the whole point - most of pre-facelift cars are one-piece stereo/AC units (do a search on TM and see what's in 2003-2006 cars).

Have a sneaky suspicion that you just "jammed" that silver panel in without attaching it properly since stock stereo brackets do not have a provision for that (correct me if I am wrong), on top of that you now have a silver top frame and black AC controls?..

Some would prefer to pay at bit more and have things done properly. Kinda like spending a bit more on a genuine STI lip instead of an EZY-lip.

sobanoodle said:
You do not get the whole point - most of pre-facelift cars are one-piece stereo/AC units (do a search on TM and see what's in 2003-2006 cars).

Have a sneaky suspicion that you just "jammed" that silver panel in without attaching it properly since stock stereo brackets do not have a provision for that (correct me if I am wrong), on top of that you now have a silver top frame and black AC controls?..

Sorry you couldn't be more wrong. I actually hunted around for something like this for a good long while infact I may have asked you a question about it on TM 2months ago. Anywho, I didn't just jam it in as you may think. The panel has 3 clip inserts on the bottom of it that attaches to the top of the ac unit, which is the same as the OEM Mcintosh panel i.e. 3 clip inserts. You clip it on along with the stock brackets, pop it back in and boom, even the lads at rapid radio were stunned!

Correct it is silver with black ac controls but it doesn't bother me as I'm getting the console wrapped. And I do get the whole thing 'done properly' etc. I don't know what more to say?

• Admin

All in all, there are some that can be split and others that are very definately one piece

Pinched that off trademe just now, was on a 03 model. If the current stereo looks like that setup then the whole kit is required.

C9AB49F3-8757-4A29-8E5D-F80CB1B497E6_zps

Edited by Andy_Mac

WRGT04 said:
Sorry you couldn't be more wrong. I actually hunted around for something like this for a good long while infact I may have asked you a question about it on TM 2months ago. Anywho, I didn't just jam it in as you may think. The panel has 3 clip inserts on the bottom of it that attaches to the top of the ac unit, which is the same as the OEM Mcintosh panel i.e. 3 clip inserts. You clip it on along with the stock brackets, pop it back in and boom, even the lads at rapid radio were stunned!

Correct it is silver with black ac controls but it doesn't bother me as I'm getting the console wrapped. And I do get the whole thing 'done properly' etc. I don't know what more to say?

Not going to argue with you - you obviously got more knowledge and experience than anyone else on here.

Would love to see some photos of that said "3 clip inserts" system in action.

PS: If it was that easy why would Subaru bother designing dedicated mounting points on top frames (x2 screws on each side) and specific brackets to go with each kit?

Your sarcasm wasn't necessary dude. Look I'm not trying to argue here either, this was just my experience with what I got and it fits as it should. I can fit the mcintosh unit back in with no dramas the same as I can with this panel. I was just trying to help someone find an alternative.

If you're in that much disbelief and losing sleep over it message that seller on that ebay auction or better yet if that is your TM auction, separate it yourself and have a look over it.

WRGT04 said:
Your sarcasm wasn't necessary dude. Look I'm not trying to argue here either, this was just my experience with what I got and it fits as it should. I can fit the mcintosh unit back in with no dramas the same as I can with this panel. I was just trying to help someone find an alternative.

If you're in that much disbelief and losing sleep over it message that seller on that ebay auction or better yet if that is your TM auction, separate it yourself and have a look over it.

The main bit that you do not get is that yours is a somewhat special case as the majority of BL/BP Legacy were fitted with one-piece Kenwood systems meaning that you still need a full-on kit including the AC controls.

Got a brand new pre-face kit in transit as we speak, will try to remember to snap some pics. After handling a few dozens of these kits I just do not recall seeing any clips on them and that's what I am trying to establish (more specifically if that stand alone panel is any different from what comes in a kit or if the McIntosh AC controls are any different from those in a kit).