Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Onshow Kustoms - Do not go there if you like your car

McDoof

I have a fun story.

If I could type in sarcasm then the first line would be typed in sarcasm font and bold.

This post is informational post to anyone wanting paint work done. Please consider the post below before making any decisions.

Before I begin I will admit that I have not made the best decisions along the way so I have let things get worse by continuing to put some trust in the business.

The other thing I should mention is that the business changed owners about a week after I had my initial pain work done. The follow up work and subsequent mess was done under the new owners business, but my contract was with the original owner. They still have the same staff, trading name, equipment and location.

Ding ding

ROUND 1

At the beginning of October I went to Onshow Kustoms to have my bumper touched up. It had a few stone chips on it and I had seen them advertise on GrabOne. After chatting with the guy there I was convinced on the upsell to have my chipped bonnet and roof done at the same time. The roof had 3 very small "spider rust" spots where water had gotten into a chip. I figured I may as well sort it before it turned into real rust.

Stupidly I agreed to bypass the GrabOne voucher structure and bought these services directly from Onshow Kustoms.

A week later I got my car back. It was covered in thick white dust, inside and outside and on first glance it looked OK. The reality was not so great though.

Paint run above the passenger door

IMG_20151009_101617_zps3g1j1k8j.jpg

Bubbly paint on the A pillar

IMG_20151009_101659_zpsmj39pzjr.jpg

Front Bumper ground back do hard that they had gone through the new and old paint and back to plastic

IMG_20151009_101451_zpsmzcomvy8.jpg

Front bumper paint finish that had air bubbles in it

IMG_20151009_101444_zpsvjixs4z8.jpg

The roof had a pretty nasty looking orange peel going on and you could clearly see where they spots had been ground out and patched. I don't have a decent pic of that unfortunately.

ROUND 2

So I called them up and took the car back to them to fix these issues.

This time it came back with the roof having been buffed to an acceptable finish. That was where the good ended.

The leading edges of the bonnet, right and left quarter panels not had the bubbly finish going on.

LFGuard_zpsjlcvszrg.png

Bonnet_zps7ceilyia.png

There was primer overspray on the edges of the headlights and black paint drips on the passenger side headlight

Headlight_zpswjklzgka.png

Headlight%202_zpsne8ivvai.png

The bumper had been sprayed so badly that I could have done better with a paint brush

Bumper%201_zps68emmbxd.png.html

bumper%203_zpse3k9fkl9.png

bumper%202_zpsrwncifxx.png

The paint on the A pillars was bad again

A%20pillar_zpswlhrlq6c.png

RF%20A%20Pillar_zpseq6owwzr.png

Again the car had been polished so hard that paint was missing and it was scratched

RFGuard_zpsxxttn6ud.png

LFGuard2_zpsme08ddjz.png

Dirty footprints that took ages to get out of the carpet

IMG_20151022_174831_zpscttc9uew.jpg

Cutting compound in very possible nook and cranny and over pretty much everything

IMG_20151022_174847_zps46pkie0b.jpg

Anyway. Needless to say I was not happy with the second attempt at fixing this job

I should probably have invoked the consumer guarantees act at this point and just had it sorted somewhere else. But they actually seemed like nice people and I thought I would give them one last chance as they had assured me that the guy that did the rubbish job had been sacked and a better painter would do the job.

I realise that I am stupid for ever thinking that this would work out OK.

So the car went back a 3rd time.

ROUND 3

What could have been an OK attempt to fix the issues was not to be. This time they sprayed the car either outside or in their workshop where they have all the buffing dust flying around. It was not done in a spray booth that's for sure. They decided to repaint, the roof, bonnet, bumper, RF and LF Guards, RR and LR guards and have now ruined 7 panels.

It's a bit hard to photograph but you get the idea. The whole paint job is covered in these little dimples and raised bits where dust has gotten into the paint. If you look really hard you can even see a hair in the bonnet paint (not in these pcis)

IMG_20151203_192919_zpsfuqm3lys.jpg.html

IMG_20151203_192955_zps9umh9too.jpg

IMG_20151203_193148_zpsy8bwmeig.jpg

IMG_20151203_193012_zpsl8dcvid5.jpg

More over spray

IMG_20151203_193233_zpsbgsv2hua.jpg

And for the kicker they have now managed to ruin both my headlights and front Subaru badge by getting them covered in clearcoat laced with bits of masking tape that does not come off

IMG_20151203_193315_zps6qtmg4s2.jpg

IMG_20151203_193327_zpsc1zpg42w.jpg

IMG_20151203_193306_zpse4ldklwz.jpg

These are the actual pictures I sent them.

So I decided it was time to invoke the Consumer guarantees act and got some quotes to fix their mess up.

They ranged from being told by one shop they would not touch the car because it was so bad. To some quoted between around $2k and around $5k at the top end.

Guarantee of reasonable care and skill

This generally means that any work done for you must be at least as good as the work of a competent person with average skills and experience in the type of work required.

I can take my car to any panel shop in town and they will tell me and anyone else that the job is not up to scratch. So I have that bit covered

Right to repair

You can ask the service provider who did the job to fix it at no cost to you. If they refuse or take longer than a reasonable time to fix it, you can either:

• get someone else to fix it and claim the cost from the service provider

Right to claim compensation for damage (consequential loss)

If the work done for you as part of the service has caused damage to your property, you can claim compensation for that damage (this is called ‘consequential loss’).

This is where they sent me a letter by email saying that the company has changed hands. It has been sold to one of the existing staff members. All assets no liabilities. So all the same staff and same name but they are now denying all liability.

Capture_zpsadt5xziy.png

I really like the cheeky last paragraph.

I figured seeing as the actual last bit of work was done after the date of sale that they are still liable under the consumer guarantees act. This does not seem to be the case. I will need to see what can be done to make a claim against the old owners company (who has gone to Hong Kong)

I don't fancy my chances.

Edited by McDoof

That sucks dude... How much did you pay for the work done? Often with panel beaters the cheaper guys are always average. To do a good job takes times and care, time is money, and thus cheap guys are quoting less by spending less time on jobs than what is really required. A.

that business name alone would probably make me uncomfortable.

Because they tried to repair the problem and made it worse I think you should have a good claim with the CGA. Even though it is under new ownership and they did not take on the liabilties I think that won't matter as they have still done work that is not up to a reasonable standard and even made it worse (even though you did not pay for the service.

I had a quick look at the companies register just to check if the new owner was a shareholder of the previous business. Unfortunately they weren't otherwise they would definitely be liable.

Seems I am **** out of luck with a CGA claim. I just heard back from the consumer advice bureau and my contract is with the company that I paid. Hmm. So I need to try and claim against the old company owners. But I know that they have fled the country to Hong Kong

FML

• General Member

thats the way it works

not sure why it's the new owners problem, that's why some people shut down or move on

this thread is bordering on slander & libel for the new company then & I'd be wary what you/ anyone posts

Edited by Joker

All I have posted is pictures of the work that was done and only factual information.

Just because the person running this is new does not mean any better work will come from it.

The new owner would have been fully aware of the car and what I was going through too.

But unfortunately the problem here really does lie with the old owner. Oh well. Lesson learned.

I will edit the first post to make that clear.

McDoof said:
Seems I am **** out of luck with a CGA claim. I just heard back from the consumer advice bureau and my contract is with the company that I paid. Hmm. So I need to try and claim against the old company owners. But I know that they have fled the country to Hong Kong

FML

What about the fact that the 'new' comapny tried to fix the work? is there any comeback on them, as it looks like they made it worse.

SpeedySub said:
What about the fact that the 'new' comapny tried to fix the work? is there any comeback on them, as it looks like they made it worse.

I contacted the consumer advice guys and they said that my contract is with the company I paid. They didn't elaborate on that, but it seems that it's too easy to just cut and run.

• 4 weeks later...

got my aircon regassed there once then he wanted to put a sticker on my car...Told him to get farked could see they had no visible paint areas (booth) so that was ya first indicator and secondly the workshop was just a mess made my car dirty with dust after 30mins of being in there

Joker said:
thats the way it works

not sure why it's the new owners problem, that's why some people shut down or move on

this thread is bordering on slander & libel for the new company then & I'd be wary what you/ anyone posts

Didn't the new company respray all 7 panels, embedding dust and hair, making it actualy worse than the start?

• General Member

not my dept. to keep track of who did what I wasnt there so dont ask me :P

I made my point but have not deleted nor locked any posts

the internet is a very big Grey/Gray area when you post things, even on a forum with only logged in members who can view kind of borders (google cant find this thread I dont think

killervq30de said:
Didn't the new company respray all 7 panels, embedding dust and hair, making it actualy worse than the start?

Yes. But that's is life. Gonna see how much I can fix myself. If the clear is thick enough I should be able to improve things with some 2000 grit wet paper and rubbing compound. If the clear is thin. Then it's a trip to another paint shop

I know its late now but when choosing companies to do work that can have such an outcome on your life.

best to ask around and get mates/club members opinions.

Ive had trouble with an engine builder and after I did some research alarm bells should have rung but I like you was caught up on the deal not the outcome.