Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Non Subaru Related - Toyota Rav4 Fault Codes

cods4

So this morning on my way to work my 2 year old Rav4 threw up a few orange warning lights and the display thing said 'Check AWD System'. So I looked under the car as you would do and the Diff and gearbox was still there :) and they weren't leaking any oil so I continued to work with the warning lights on (it's my understanding that if the lights are orange then its not a major problem and the car can be used, if they are red then its another story)

Anyway when I took it to the dealer later this morning he pulled the codes and told me it was a problem with an diesel injector which made no sense given the warning message i got.

So apparently on these modern cars which have multiple computers for every conceivable part of the car, when one computer identifies a fault it sends the fault code to all the other computers. So the transmission or traction control computer or whatever it was saw the fault and triggered its own fault codes which brought the message up on the dash display.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Is this a poorly designed computer system or is this a common occurrence with modern cars that you get completely unrelated fault messages coming up for a given fault?

I've had other major issues with this car so the local toyota dealership are getting to know it well. Fortunately it's just a company lease vehicle so I'm not worried, it's booked in for a full diagnosis next week.

Have seen unrealted codes come up,

It does seem unusual that a faulty injector causes an AWD system error, without having the actual fault code I am not sure I can go further with Diagnosis.

Anything built in the last 5 years can and do give funny codes that are not connected, it takes a savvy tech and a good Diagnostic Computer to sort it all out.

Mainly takes time which = money

cods4 said:
(it's my understanding that if the lights are orange then its not a major problem and the car can be used, if they are red then its another story).

I'm sorry wut

I wouldn't work with that theory, for what it's worth

As for unrelated fault codes, as said a reasonably common and exasperating issue in new vehicles

Marky said:
I'm sorry wut

I wouldn't work with that theory, for what it's worth

As for unrelated fault codes, as said a reasonably common and exasperating issue in new vehicles

So you'd get it towed to the dealer (or home) in this case? I may have acted differently if it was my own car, and I did call the dealers breakdown assist help line but they didn't answer so I continued on.

It seems to me like it would be simple to design it so the dash shows the correct warning light, but I guess its not a high priority for the engineers.

Orange Lights are a warning light but NOT a OH MY GOD my car is going to die, usually secondary systems that are not mission critical, so take to dealer as soon as you can,

Red warning lights mean STOP do not go past go do not collect $200 Get towed to the dealer, usually means oil pressure lost or other critical system malfunction.