Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Good turbo upgrade for v7 WRX?

A while ago I had a v2 WRX that I upgraded the TD04 from to a TD05-16g and chipped it to boost 1 bar and the car ran like a dream and never had any issues. I sold this a while ago now and I've found a v7 WRX I'm keen on, which has a TD04 turbo (boosting 10psi) and a 3" exhaust from turbo to tip. Would a TD05-16g still be a good upgrade for this car? If so, how easy would it be to tune to get 1 bar out of a bigger turbo?

Location? Or do you already have a tuner you want to use?

Better to bolt a vf22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30, 34 onto it and tune. The only bolt on td05s you will find are chinese not like the old genuine 90deg inlet td05s. Those old ones are very similar to the vfs listed above in power and delivery. Also depends how much you want to spend.

Theres a vf28 in the fs section atm iirc.

evowrx said:
Location? Or do you already have a tuner you want to use?

Better to bolt a vf22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30, 34 onto it and tune. The only bolt on td05s you will find are chinese not like the old genuine 90deg inlet td05s. Those old ones are very similar to the vfs listed above in power and delivery. Also depends how much you want to spend.

Theres a vf28 in the fs section atm iirc.

I'm on North Shore in Aucks and don't have a tuner... not sure where to start really?

I thought the TD05s pushed out more air than the VF's? Also I thought they came off STi's and I could get one off a wreck.. ?

Without getting into writing an essay heres the basics.

When people compare cfm figures for td05 vs vf turbos they generally take them off the post thats been doing the rounds on the net for years. It uses flow figures from a big 16g fitted stock to evos not the small 16g fitted to early v1-2 stis. So the vf and td05 small 16g make very similar power 200-230wkw dyno/tuner dependant. Shows flow potential is very similar. Vf are limited by their exhaust side where td are limited by the small 16g comp.

The early td05 small 16g came with a 90deg inlet so you would need to buy a comp cover or modify it to suit a straight inlet. The comp covers you can buy suit big 16g so need to upgrade the comp whixh means going to 18g isnt silly and might as well rebuild while youre in there. So 500 odd well spent.

But being that you have a non sti longblock you cant push it beyond a vf22 safely so the cheapest smartest option is a vf upgrade.

evowrx said:
Without getting into writing an essay heres the basics.

When people compare cfm figures for td05 vs vf turbos they generally take them off the post thats been doing the rounds on the net for years. It uses flow figures from a big 16g fitted stock to evos not the small 16g fitted to early v1-2 stis. So the vf and td05 small 16g make very similar power 200-230wkw dyno/tuner dependant. Shows flow potential is very similar. Vf are limited by their exhaust side where td are limited by the small 16g comp.

The early td05 small 16g came with a 90deg inlet so you would need to buy a comp cover or modify it to suit a straight inlet. The comp covers you can buy suit big 16g so need to upgrade the comp whixh means going to 18g isnt silly and might as well rebuild while youre in there. So 500 odd well spent.

But being that you have a non sti longblock you cant push it beyond a vf22 safely so the cheapest smartest option is a vf upgrade.

Yeah that is the post that I've based it off that's been doing the rounds for a while on many different forums. Thanks for the info and filling in the gaps.

So are you saying VF22 would be best? Or would another VF turbo be best? What's a safe top end boost level and how do I get the car tuned to take full advantage of the upgrade? Is the stock computer tunable or do I need to upgrade it?

Any of the vf turbos i listed will work and are pretty much as good as each other.

What boost level etc will depend on what the tuners comfortable with. Add a 3 port boost solenoid to the list.

If it was my car id put a vf on it, 3 port and 3in exhaust. Then take it to e&h and get it tuned on stock ecu. Or pappu on here was doing cheapish road tunes which seemed good bang for buck if you dont want to spend heaps. Someone will have his number think hes called sp00n1 or something now but hasnt been active in a while.

16psi thro mid tapering to 13psi around 6k would be my stab in the dark for boost levels. Be a heap nicer car to drive tho.

evowrx said:
Any of the vf turbos i listed will work and are pretty much as good as each other.

What boost level etc will depend on what the tuners comfortable with. Add a 3 port boost solenoid to the list.

If it was my car id put a vf on it, 3 port and 3in exhaust. Then take it to e&h and get it tuned on stock ecu. Or pappu on here was doing cheapish road tunes which seemed good bang for buck if you dont want to spend heaps. Someone will have his number think hes called sp00n1 or something now but hasnt been active in a while.

16psi thro mid tapering to 13psi around 6k would be my stab in the dark for boost levels. Be a heap nicer car to drive tho.

Thanks bro

Any ideas what car a VF34 comes off?

Marky said:
Best upgrade is don't buy it, get the sti instead

Unless it's -dirt- cheap it's not worth it

Yeah it's A LOT cheaper than any sti I can find. I'll be happy if I can replicate the power from my v2 build that I upgraded to a TD05 small 16g running 1 bar.

evowrx said:
Shouldnt need injectors.

Yeah. I ran the small 16g up to 18psi on grays and had no issues... the clutch started slipping if I went any higher, so I settled on 1 bar and I'm pretty sure that would be at least 204kw, if not more

Edited by Insanity