• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Intro/ BH5 E-tune opinions and advice

Ajayy

Hey all, I am brand new to these forums, to cut this short :

I am AJ

I am 21

I live in central/west Auckalnd

I just sold my BP5 2004 Legacy A/T and looking for something a bit more exciting.

Keen to get involved with the Subaru world

I'm currently taking a look at a 2001 Legacy BH5 E-tune with an auto trans (Not ideal but hear me out)

Its got the twin turbo Ej20, its done a low 112 kms, has the awesome cupholder in the dash and twin sunroof and is pretty tidy all round.

Its had the belt and all that done, knock sensors, plugs. The owner has a blitzen wagon and a wicked old Subaru SVX with almost no clearcoat left on it. He's from the UK and seems to switched on when it comes to the Subaru stuff, basically he's doesn't seem like the car thrasher.

He believes its got a blown primary turbo which is preventing it from boosting so he's going to get that sorted before i actually take it for a drive, is this a common issue?

A mate of mine is coming with me who previously has owned an E-tune, Ill be checking out the car for any issues and looking at its service history.

Are there any owners on here that want to tell me to save my bucks for a newer single turbo model, or go for it? Wanting a fun all rounder i can take the beach and also drive to work (If i drive granny spec will i get okay fuel consumption?) or is a H6 3.0 a better contender?

Cheers

Welcome.

I don't think blown primary turbos is a common problem on these but it is not unheard of. It was reasonably common on the previous model I believe.

I had a manual bh5 gtb and would get 9-10L/100km on open road and 11-12L/100km around town. I've just recently got a 3.0L outback an it appears to be slightly thirstier but near enough to the same sort of figures so far.

There's nothing wrong with them, what are you paying for it though - also blown turbo at 100km is a significant worry if that is in fact the issue

Unless it's dirt cheap just wait for a BP5 turbo, they're a nicer car overall and can be had for quite cheap if you're happy to go auto or high kms

He suspects its a blown turbo, I didn't actually get to drive it but its getting no boost, so it could be another issue.

He wants 7 but i think its worth closer to 6.

Ideally wanting something low-kms as my last legacy was really problematic due to the distance travelled and cost me far too much than i'd like to admit.

Ill have a gander at some more BP5's

• Admin

I've a etune 2001, rev d. Great car, surprisingly cheap on gas, able to keep pace with a lot of other 'faster' cars. I have an inkling that the etunes did not come with skylights as they lowered the rigidity of the chassis. I might be wrong, but might be worth doing some further investigation into that as its pretty easy to buy a new grill/badge

An auto BH wagon, regardless of km's I wouldn't pay more than 4k

If it has a blown turbo then it hasn't been treated right regardless of what the odo says

Still dont know what E-Tune actually means, mrs's old one was an etune, mine isn't, they were both identical

^^ That ^^

6k is a bit rich unless it's 2003 run out model, and with no issues a good set of rubber, then I would go that high maaaybe. On a car that old be ready to fork out on lots of rubber bits that have perished in the suspension and probably a new clutch in the near future.

After borrowing my mates 2003 H6 for week I decided to go with a 2004 3.0r with moon roof, cruise control and 5 speed auto.

Picking it up tomorrow! The 6's are so damn smooth, I got about the same fuel consumption with the h6 this week as from my previous bp5 wagon? Probably cause of 4 speed and underpowered.

kwi_fozze said:
Etune is an economy tune from Japan, run them a bit leaner than the standard gt to get better milage for the average punter. Knocky as f**k

Hers had the same ECU tune as my not-an-etune does (well, did). I think it was maybe a trim package or something foolish

OP - any legacy with less than 3l or a turbo is underpowered, half the reason they get a bad rap for economy