Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Borg Warner EFR turbo upgrade

HR32

Hi All

I have an 05 JDM STI, Currently has a boost controller and a turbo Back 3"

I'm looking at getting a bigger turbo and have heard a lot about the Borg Warner EFR turbo's, I've been looking at the 67/58

They are pretty pricey but I'm more interested in doing things once and doing them right.

Not looking for any crazy amount of power as the car is as, I'd be happy with 250KW. Currently sitting at 215KW

I have also considered getting a built turbo but haven't really looked in the options yet

Anyone had experience with these turbos? Do you know of a Tuner that has?

Any other tips or advice are welcome.

• Admin

They are glorious, glorious turbos.

Budget $10000-$15000 depending how much you do yourself to get one on your car with all the supporting BS. That turbo should comfortably make close to 300wkw and have superb spool doing it.

EDIT: Speedtech in Wellington has installed and tuned a few of these, just not on Subarus.... I think they've done 1 Subaru.

DTech Motorsport in Tauranga has done a couple, I believe.

Sounds like a ****load of money for f all.

Just buy a bolton blouch or something and make good power without any faffing around.

Big deal making a efr fit and if doing that just go holset for 1/3rd of the turbo cost and work insanely well.

Marky said:
http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?35708-Boon-s-2001-STI

That's close-ish surely (the first dyno chart, a VF34 with bolt ons and top mount)

231 to 240 is pretty close

Like 96.25% of the way there

That's pretty close in my books

no idea what you are referring to in that thread... but I doubt any vf being pushed to 240kw woul dbe happy... and I doubt it could be achieved with a "couple of bolt ons".

• Admin
 loner said:
no idea what you are referring to in that thread... but I doubt any vf being pushed to 240kw woul dbe happy... and I doubt it could be achieved with a "couple of bolt ons".

My old VF34 is what produced that dyno plot.

And yeah, it was with a Process West topmount, intake and a kinda ****ty exhaust.

• Admin
 loner said:
I just don't believe those numbers from a VF... dyno plot or not. The numbers I've seen from VFs have always been around the 200 mark...

which is believable.

STM dyno, no correction factor, DIN method - dunno how much more I can say?

I mean it was probably a best-case scenario - V7 EJ207 with AVCS, very fresh turbo, Link G4, pretty much every basic bolt-on done from in to out:

-Air filter

-Cold Air Intake

-Silicon under-manifold pipe

-Big-ass TMIC

-Headers

-3" downpipe

-2.5" exhaust

Its kinda believable as in 200-240wkw. Remember thats hub. I made 227wkw rolling road with a tapped vf22, fmic, twisted, flipped, 3in tb and 440cc. Not unheard of to make 200-230wks on a vf its all dyno dependant and engine condition. Bear in mind most vf setups are on a 160000+ km donk.

There is so many variables its impossible to say 211.1234578wkw is the max available out of a vf on a ej20. Seen plenty of figures between 200-240wkw and none of them blew up due to tune. Could put shoe on other foot and say a 200wkw car is under utilising potential and is extra safe but hey lets face it there are far too many variables to say xxxwkw is all that is achievable.

Kind of leaning toward off topic. To keep it OT a vf will be on the edge to get close to power goals you are a heap better running something that fits your driving style/use of car and has a bit of headroom.

Its not all about the power numbers for me, I want strong pull from as low RPM as possible with a turbo that doesn't give up at 5000rpm, something that is strong right through the rev range. Currently the car pulls nicely and is pretty quick first and second gear but by the time I'm hitting third it's starting to get a bit boring

So really the VF turbo is great, it's just not big enough.

I do intend to sort out all the other bolt on mods before going down the bigger turbo route.

evowrx said:
Definitely want twin scroll then. Loving my hrc35/2 so far spools well down low especially from low rpm in higher gears.

Thats a decent size turbo.. When do you hit full boost? what sort of power are you making and what headers are you using?

HR32 said:
Thats a decent size turbo.. When do you hit full boost? what sort of power are you making and what headers are you using?

Well ive only just fitted it up so nothing concrete yet. Will say itll smash 22psi boostcut under 3.5k...smooth to drive not like a bigger single scroll turbo. The 12cm is a smaller housing tho but hoping it will give 300wkw ish at 20 odd psi. Legacy headers 32mm primaries and ej257 longblock.

• Admin

This thread missed the point ages ago. If the goal is simply 250wkw with reasonably similar spool then a BorgWarner is completely the wrong turbo, the answer is one of the Garrett-based stock location turbos from Blouch, ScoobyClinic or similar, and some bolt-on mods. That will achieve the goal for probably less than $5k (including tune) instead of the $10k+ to get an EFR in there.

boon said:
This thread missed the point ages ago. If the goal is simply 250wkw with reasonably similar spool then a BorgWarner is completely the wrong turbo, the answer is one of the Garrett-based stock location turbos from Blouch, ScoobyClinic or similar, and some bolt-on mods. That will achieve the goal for probably less than $5k (including tune) instead of the $10k+ to get an EFR in there.

Or get a holset and spend 5kish to decimate with 300wkw.

Whats involved with doing a twisted turbo setup to get a big garrett or EFR in there? Flip manifold, front mount, new downpipe and uppipe (Or do you use an adaptor for the uppipe?), oil and water lines, external waste gate? Is there anything else I/m missing? Doesn't sound like $10k+ to me. But it would be expensive

I think you'll need probably 5k for parts and maybe 3 to 5k for labour... as it sounds like you won't be able to do any of the fabricating.

Oh, then you'll need an ECU and an uprated fuel system and tune... add 5k. oh, and the closed deck block and forged internals... add 5 to 10k.

But what about the heads? You might want to improve those as well.

Or you could do what I did and buy a car that had all the work done already... then find it's mostly ****ed and needs 10k spending on it.