Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP Legacy Manual Conversion

ToomTom

Marky']Autos *can* be more responsive than a human hand can be, try driving one of the DSG euros for an example

Yes and in a drag application that's awesome... because you only ever want to accelerate... not so great in all other situations.

To be fair on most cars the flappy paddle tiptronic stuff is a waste of time, even if it reacts fast it still drives better left to make its' own decisions

Hmm, I don't agree... again, it doesn't know what you want to do... and if the changes are slow you can compensate somewhat by just thinking ahead and changing early.

[quote name='Marky said:

If you're having to click the thing through gears yourself it sort of defeats the purpose of buying an auto in the first place doesnt it

Depends... in a road car the choice to go back to auto when stuck in traffic is great... and they are cheaper to buy and lower maintenance.

Edited by loner

Marky said:

If you're having to click the thing through gears yourself it sort of defeats the purpose of buying an auto in the first place doesnt it

It's best of both worlds, auto when you just want to not worry about it and manual-Like mode and when you want to be sportier and go round windy corners. manuals care I've had before I love shifting but sometimes I just got sick of riding the clutch. This one I got auto because my partner couldn't drive manual

• 6 months later...
  • Admin

It's alot easier in their case as they don't use the stock ECU. 

It's not the worst swap in the world though. Just need the gearbox and all the matching diffs/axles then someone to modify the manual transission crossmember as the transmission tunnel for the auto's has different locations for the mounting points. Then get hold of a tuner who knows their stuff to mash up a manual rom for the auto ECU and she'd be away.

• 3 months later...
On 16/03/2016 at 11:14 PM, kwi_fozze said:

Had the pak file upgrade done?

If not, do it. Makes a good difference

Also worth getting full trans fluid change etc done

I'm quite interested in getting a PAK file upgrade and transmission flush as my auto is shifting a touch laggy at times, is there a forum preference on who does this?

• 8 months later...

thread dredge

Sooo, if one was getting a Link installed a manual conversion would be hardware alone? mention of keys and dash clusters having to be kept together scares me. I assume if someone had a Link installed they could hypothetically keep the auto cluster,loom and all associated immobilizer guff in its original state?

I've been talking to Chris from prestige about the canbus when he was down using my dyno. He has cracked the temp gauge and wheel speeds but still getting an error on dash for high speed can. Customer who owns car is not bothered by it. My link in car has no errors as retains factory ecu but one day would like to fully replace. 

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

I am currently doing a Bp 6 speed conversion, yes it's a pain in the ass but it's doable when you know what to expect.

It's easier to remove auto rear chassis mount by removing spot welds and welding a manual one in place. It's garenteed to fit and looks stock. 

The wiring is a little complex at first but I've sussed it out mostly.

Edited by Eztrogen
  • Like 2