Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP Outback - Replacement Speakers?

megamac

So after some quick internet research on the factory McIntosh system, i'm led to believe that the BP Outback is fitted with the EF-1080i amplifier, with 11 speakers including factory boot mounted sub.

Further research also leads me to believe that the front woofers are 6.5" and 8ohm? Unfortunately my speakers foam surrounds have fallen apart. Re foaming them isn't an option as many people say it sounds worse. So i'd like to replace them with some 3rd party speakers... But only 8ohm speakers I can find locally have an RMS of 250w, I assume they wouldn't sound great with the factory amp. Can anyone enlighten me as to a good replacement for them that will match with the amp quite nicely?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

i've actually got a complete Mcintosh speaker/amp/sub setup i'm no longer using if spare parts are needed.

And there's heaps of space in the lower hole for almost any normal component speaker, imagine mid woofers may be a bit harder to fit.

• Admin
 SmoothEZ said:
Any good tutorials for it? Just wondering whether to ditch the stock tweeters and use the component ones or not too..

What exactly are your plans there? Keeping the HU and amp but replacing the speakers?

Easier to replace the amp aswell then tou can do whatever you want speaker wise

http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?48404-Guitar_Guy-s-2004-Legacy-McIntosh-Stereo-Hack-Pic-Heavy

Edited by Andy_Mac

I just wanted to replace the speakers but if the amp won't run the speakers well then I guess I'd have to replace it.

I'm definitely not keen to do all of that in the link you posted, seems like too much work. I've already got a bluetooth kit for the McIntosh setup and can't be bothered messing around with crafting a new HU cutout or buying an aftermarket one.

• 1 year later...
On 4/29/2016 at 7:02 PM, SmoothEZ said:

I just wanted to replace the speakers but if the amp won't run the speakers well then I guess I'd have to replace it.

I'm definitely not keen to do all of that in the link you posted, seems like too much work. I've already got a bluetooth kit for the McIntosh setup and can't be bothered messing around with crafting a new HU cutout or buying an aftermarket one.

Hi Smooth EZ - What did you end up doing? I have a '06 BP Legacy Wagon with factory McIntosh 13 speakers too. The sub-woofer has split soon after I got it, so I have repaired it but within two weeks it has split again in a different spot so just want it replaced. I am happy with the factory set up (I wouldn't say I play music really loud or anything) and have also installed a bluetooth unit so want to know if there is a compatible sub that can be straight replaced? cheers. 

Edited by morry10nz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Think it comes down to what particular subs work well with the extremely limited available wattage from the OEM amp. Think there is a walkthrough somewhere about a sub amp gain to get more juice going to the sub. Vaguely remember reading it somewhere and pretty sure it was for 4th gens.

On 8/11/2017 at 8:45 PM, morry10nz said:

I have managed to source a rockford-fosgate-p3sd4-8-8-4-ohm-shallow-subwoofer from Rapid Radio in Grey lynn which is 8" shallow sub and also 4ohm. Am i right that this should work as a straight replacement or am i overlooking something with these complex Macintosh factory set-ups? 

That sub is a dual 4ohm voice coil so it can be wired up at either 8 or 2 ohms. 

I would remove the factory sub and find out exactly how much room you have to play with and check the resistance of it to double check it is 4 ohms. With a low power factory amp you'll want to find a speaker with a high sensitivity or sbl. For example the one you linked is rated at  SPL (dB @ 1w/1m):82. Thats 82db (volume out) 1w (power in) 1m (distance)

https://www.abtec.co.nz/Polk_MM840   This has a higher sensitivity of 90db1w/1m  so it should be louder with less power and it is 4 ohms. the only thing is that its 40mm deeper so unsure it will fit as i dont know how much room there is.

There is a few other factors but these are the main ones. Hope it helps :))

• Like 2

oh wow that is low power haha. would definitely recommend wiring up an aftermarket amp to the factory system for a lot more punch and a better sound  . this can be done using a line level converter. https://www.jaycar.co.nz/speaker-high-level-to-line-level-converter/p/AA0482. connect the factory sub wires to this unit and rca output to the amp. the amp can be hidden under a seat and keep the sub in factory location for a stealth and clean set up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2017 at 9:51 PM, snowflake009 said:

That sub is a dual 4ohm voice coil so it can be wired up at either 8 or 2 ohms.

This.  I think your sub is wired for either 8ohms or 2ohms.

Research reveals there is Rockford dual coil 2 ohm model which can be wired up for 4 ohms.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p3sd2-8

• 2 months later...