Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

S204 - Daily / occasional track-hack

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about a S204 as a daily driver and track car. ( Only mods for Trackdays are pads and semi slicks)

I really like the 2006 styling and Have wanted a STI for quite a while so thought I'd better get serious about it.

Can anyone offer any advice on the ride and fuel consumption of a S204 or equivalent? I leave home at 645am in the mornings and leave work at 6pm. This is auckland traffic so please let me know if the car is quite harsh.

Also what was the price that recent S204s have sold for?

I'm quite excited as its a childhood dream to own a STI. I remember the Impreza 22B as my wall poster.

Good times.

Thanks,

Nigel

Edited by nastnas

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cAn't speak much for the S204 but the RA-R I have is easy to drive daily, mine is solid with aftermarket suspension though, would be a lot nicer on stock suspension I assume.

Mine also has a 45L tank, unsure if the 204 has a larger one, but if I daily drive round Wellington then it's 2 tanks a week minimum.

The vf42 is always boosting basically, starts spooling very low round 2.5K, so changing gears can happen a lot but is bearable. Also makes lots of intake noises and wizzy noises :D

The 204 has the carbon seats so if your a fat **** you probably won't fit,

Apart from the light weight-ness/extra bits each one got the ra-r the 204 are essentially the same.

I've met the owner and seen the black one above, immaculate condition and has owned it for most of its mileage. Seats are awesome, quite tight though.

All in all they handle like there on crack with plenty of usuable power

chulozumo said:
I cAn't speak much for the S204 but the RA-R I have is easy to drive daily, mine is solid with aftermarket suspension though, would be a lot nicer on stock suspension I assume.

Mine also has a 45L tank, unsure if the 204 has a larger one, but if I daily drive round Wellington then it's 2 tanks a week minimum.

The vf42 is always boosting basically, starts spooling very low round 2.5K, so changing gears can happen a lot but is bearable. Also makes lots of intake noises and wizzy noises :D

The 204 has the carbon seats so if your a fat **** you probably won't fit,

Apart from the light weight-ness/extra bits each one got the ra-r the 204 are essentially the same.

I've met the owner and seen the black one above, immaculate condition and has owned it for most of its mileage. Seats are awesome, quite tight though.

All in all they handle like there on crack with plenty of usuable power

ohhh RA-R is my dream! reckon youll ever sell? ;)

there is also an R205 on TM at the moment. It is more or less the equivalent but a V11. Have driven this car, and it is the best STI i have ever been in. massive 6 pot brembo's on the front and 4 pots in the rear so stopping power is insane! has a pretty serious suspension set up from factory so nice and tight and sits flat on the road without being too hard. The power response is awesome too, just keeps pulling. the type of car that you don't need to do any mods too. Pretty much the ultimate STI.

I have been in that car linked I knew the last owner and was present when the current owner inspected and bought it. the seats are small, you sit on top of them and not in them. Does go well but it's not exactly blow your mind fast, it's still a stock engine.

The carbon front lip cost a stupid amount of money too.

any particular reason for an s204 ?

they were less stripped out than previous s2xx cars and more touring biased.

the sti type ra-rar was the stripper road racer.

mr c - is your one the white one that had the ugly wheels ?

for $40k+ i'd rather have a new v12 eg.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1055152138

might not be as fast but better handling, build, interior etc.

if you must have a limited edition late model sti how about this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-1056693501.htm

Thanks for the great responses. I'm keen on the s204 as i like the styling and the s204 looks like a nice spec. I'm probably in the fat ass side of the scale a little but don't think the seat will be a problem. I fit RS4 Recaros OK and they look similar.

Does anyone have any idea on what the s204s sell for? I would prefer a solid standard spec car.

ginganinja said:
there is also an R205 on TM at the moment. It is more or less the equivalent but a V11. Have driven this car, and it is the best STI i have ever been in. massive 6 pot brembo's on the front and 4 pots in the rear so stopping power is insane! has a pretty serious suspension set up from factory so nice and tight and sits flat on the road without being too hard. The power response is awesome too, just keeps pulling. the type of car that you don't need to do any mods too. Pretty much the ultimate STI.

I tried searching for r205 but nothing came up. Can you post a link please.

nastnas'] ...I fit RS4 Recaros OK and they look similar.

RS4 seats are sooo comfy!

[quote name='nastnas said:

Does anyone have any idea on what the s204s sell for? I would prefer a solid standard spec car.

The one on trademe is going for $40k +

newsuba said:
good to hear you don't own the white one - that car has a colourful history

:rolleyes:

Would that be the white one i see out by my place in West Auckland? I remember seeing it on the Fast 4's car yard a while back. Was down in Wellington at some stage too...

There's 3, one blue 2 white. One used to be ilusif (can't remember how it was spelt, STM has a video on there YouTube channel of it getting reflash though) probably is the one in AKL coz the other is apparently in CHCH

I find it really hard to justify doing anything to it, mines had a reflash, airbox and adjustable suspension, that's how I got it and that's how it'll stay Hahah

Hi. Thanks for entertaining this thread. It's quite interesting reading. The r205 looks quite interesting but I think I prefer the sedan....

Lachlan, you are correct. I tried to change it but couldn't, realistically it's about 6-10 per year. I wish I could trackday once a week. That's definitely a goal for me. Haha

I've heard that subaru seem to have an oil issue on the big right hander at Hamptons. Last turn before the straight. Can anyone comment on that? Is it an easy fix?