Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Average Torque Performance Tune?

Niran

Hey guys,

So i finally forked out the cash for a Torque Performance tune ($1300). I also got my 3-port mac valve installed as well (annoying as clicking now though lol).

I can't say that i am fully satisfied with the tune. While i can now put my foot down without fear of blowing my engine, the car seems slower and boost comes on later than it did before? That being said, it does feel good after 5000rpms.

They have only tuned to max boost of 18psi? Which seems a bit weird to me, as that is pretty much stock boost. He mentioned that, that is the max the turbo can do (which i don't want to believe unless someone here can say otherwise) - I've got a 2003 v8 STI twin scroll so i'm guessing its a VF37. On 1st gear its only boosting 15-16psi (it used to hit about 19psi before it was tuned).

What are your thoughts? I have 14 days to get them to revert to the previous tune and get a refund if I am not satisfied. Is there anyone else who would do a better job? Or is this as good as it gets?

Dyno_zpskjjdurrh.jpg

• Admin

Without driving it it's hard to say. What sort of petrol did you have in it at the time?

3-port plus a tune should result in the boost coming on hard and fast. If I had to speculate it sounds like they tuned for power up top but didn't put a lot of effort into the low end.

Honestly I'd go back to the tuner and discuss it with them. Don't go into it talking target boost levels, you don't just wind in 21psi and hope for the best, rather it might be worth asking why they tuned to the boost level they did.

What power did it make?

boon said:
Without driving it it's hard to say. What sort of petrol did you have in it at the time?

3-port plus a tune should result in the boost coming on hard and fast. If I had to speculate it sounds like they tuned for power up top but didn't put a lot of effort into the low end.

Honestly I'd go back to the tuner and discuss it with them. Don't go into it talking target boost levels, you don't just wind in 21psi and hope for the best, rather it might be worth asking why they tuned to the boost level they did.

What power did it make?

Cheers bro. It had Mobil 97.5 aye. Yeah wanted to get my thoughts together with help from you guys first before i want back to them. This is my first experience really getting a car tuned. It made 215kw at 5750rpm aye. Posted the dyno chart in the OP, are you guys able to see the image?

That boost response is shyte. Vf37 should be nailing 18psi by 3k, not peaking at 4500. Peak power isnt bad, but should have a much broader range than that, and the factory turbo is good for up to about 22psi before it starts super heating the air.

Did they ecutek tune it? Because if they have, they cant entirely remove the tune, as it remains "ecutek locked", so you cant get another tuner to alter it.

If I had results like that for paying that much coin i'd be pissed.

kwi_fozze said:
That boost response is shyte. Vf37 should be nailing 18psi by 3k, not peaking at 4500. Peak power isnt bad, but should have a much broader range than that, and the factory turbo is good for up to about 22psi before it starts super heating the air.

Did they ecutek tune it? Because if they have, they cant entirely remove the tune, as it remains "ecutek locked", so you cant get another tuner to alter it.

If I had results like that for paying that much coin i'd be pissed.

Exactly my thoughts bro! But i didnt want to argue with the pro as i didn't have full confidence in my reasoning. It was tuned by Torque Performance in Avondale (raving good reviews), and apparently they do not use ECUTECH anymore, which is good.

But eitherway i have good options right now. Either:

a) Tell them im not happy and want my money back. They will then revert to the orginal map and refund my cash.

b) Get a different tuner to tune with cash from A

c) Work with them to get the tune I want (maybe get a different guy to tune it - will need to chat with them)

Even if it was a faulty solenoid or any other part, surely the tuner would have noticed that car was not running as expected (compared to other Vf37s they have tuned) and try to find/fix the issue. However, it seems like the tuner is happy and is passing it off as a finished tune which doesn't seem right.

KingCole said:
Even if it was a faulty solenoid or any other part, surely the tuner would have noticed that car was not running as expected (compared to other Vf37s they have tuned) and try to find/fix the issue. However, it seems like the tuner is happy and is passing it off as a finished tune which doesn't seem right.

Exactly right man surely a tuner would have noticed faulty bits but he didn't notice the car runs worse now though so may have not noticed a faulty part??

vf37 should be hitting 22psi + bloody close to 3k?! as far as only hitting 16 in 1st... my v7 sti with vf30 tuned to 21.5psi (full boost at 3700ish)...only hits 17 ish in first... 15-16 if iv waited at the lights for ages...! is this a case too safe of a tune... low boost, really rich... running low gain...

hunter951 said:
vf37 should be hitting 22psi + bloody close to 3k?! as far as only hitting 16 in 1st... my v7 sti with vf30 tuned to 21.5psi (full boost at 3700ish)...only hits 17 ish in first... 15-16 if iv waited at the lights for ages...! is this a case too safe of a tune... low boost, really rich... running low gain...

My VF37 hits 23 psi around 3700rpm in 4th and that is pretty normal.

KingCole said:
My VF37 hits 23 psi around 3700rpm in 4th and that is pretty normal.

What about on 1st and 2nd man? Apperently its because of the stock ecu? Cant get even boost across all gears because of load? Not sure on the details

Are you sure it doesnt feel slower because it has a smooth power curve now? That power curves pretty good esp for a wheel dyno. Saggy up top but is rich according to graph. 160wkw at 4k is as good as it gets on a vf.

Niran said:
What about on 1st and 2nd man? Apperently its because of the stock ecu? Cant get even boost across all gears because of load? Not sure on the details

I haven't got the logs for 1st and 2nd gear but I think it hits full boost in 2nd gear for me. Would you like to compare the difference in driveability? You are welcome to swing by and I can do a couple of pulls for you. Just PM me.

Cheers for all the info guys, i think i got enough info now to have an in depth conversation with Torque Perfomance.

I also spoke to Possum Bourne on the drive home. Awesome guy, and spent 20 mins over the phone talking over how they approach tuning and gave me his honest opinion (which wasn't a sales pitch). If i do end up getting a refund, thinking these guys will probably be where i spend my money. They are about 2 weeks away from getting their brand new dyno setup (temperature simulating abilities for hot + cold checking etc).

my old v7 with some VERY agressive avcs setup and a fairly agressive gain on the ebc had 5psi at 2k, about 10psi at 3k and 22psi at 3.5 on a vf30.

t/s turbos should spool a bit faster. that looks like factory boost limit as well as factory fueling, so what, a bit of timing adjustment and call it done?

i got better results sitting at home with my laptop and a $260 cable..... and a lot of petrol hhaha

any exhaust mods? factory downpipe iirc is a bellmouth....

Niran said:
Cheers for all the info guys, i think i got enough info now to have an in depth conversation with Torque Perfomance.

I also spoke to Possum Bourne on the drive home. Awesome guy, and spent 20 mins over the phone talking over how they approach tuning and gave me his honest opinion (which wasn't a sales pitch). If i do end up getting a refund, thinking these guys will probably be where i spend my money. They are about 2 weeks away from getting their brand new dyno setup (temperature simulating abilities for hot + cold checking etc).

Whos their tuner now?