Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Average Torque Performance Tune?

Niran

kwi_fozze said:
my old v7 with some VERY agressive avcs setup and a fairly agressive gain on the ebc had 5psi at 2k, about 10psi at 3k and 22psi at 3.5 on a vf30.

t/s turbos should spool a bit faster. that looks like factory boost limit as well as factory fueling, so what, a bit of timing adjustment and call it done?

i got better results sitting at home with my laptop and a $260 cable..... and a lot of petrol hhaha

any exhaust mods? factory downpipe iirc is a bellmouth....

Lol i've done all the necessary mods to make it go hard (also boost came on quicker before the tune).

Currently got:

# 3 inch turbo back exhaust (including downpipe)

# walbro 342 fuel pump

# one step colder spark plugs

# gfb recirc BOV

# removed intake silencer

# greddy panel filter in stock airbox

last compression test (2 months ago) was mint, with 5psi variance. The tuner said the car was running perfect with no issues, so makes no sense that he would tune it rich to compensate for knock?

So just spoke to the owner Rob from torque performance who did my tune. And these were his comments:

AFR

He mentioned they tune all subys between 10.5 and 11.5 as they tend to knock past that. Apparently mine was getting a bit of knock at higher AFR.

The car still smells rich as and is chewing through gas though.. I am wondering if i should run BP98 instead of Mobile 97.5? Don't know if it will make jack all difference.

Also my car was nowhere as rich before i dont think? Can tell from the smell and the lack of black soot i had on my rear bumper and boot lid before vs now.

Boost coming on Late

He said he pretty much cant do anything about this, as there is no restriction on boost early on? Only at target boost (which he has set to 18psi on 3rd/4th). He mentioned that the 3-port solenoid is harder to tune and achieve the results with, and that it doesnt make any difference having the stock solenoid vs 3port. Just that 3 port is harder to work with. He said if i wanted to have the boost come on early, i would need to sacrifice stable boost for boost spike early on (which would mean it comes on early but is hard to control). He also said theres not much that can be done to overcome the varying load across gears that results in different max boosts on each gear (current 1st is 14.5psi, 2nd is 16psi, and 3rd and above are around 18psi).

What do you guys think? I've got an appointment booked with him next Friday to re-assess tables and fine tune. If I'm not happy at that point he will give me a refund.

Would i be better off going somewhere else? Possum Bourne?

Edited by Niran

I call schenanigans... If you are noticably richer than you were previously he's done a shyte job.

The Vf37 should come on like a farking freight train with the 3 port, yes its a little more complex, but thats why you pay a tuner as much as you do.

F**k, I should start tuning professionally...

the only issue I see is the lag with twin scroll. Hell even my td05 comes on better than that. I was hitting 15psi at 3500 on factory setup just for reference.

Power is about right, although I've seen people on this forum push 240kw with that same v8 sti setup. Maybe there is something else at play causing the "knock" ? e.g fuel/spark/electrical component failure imminent

slystiguy said:
the only issue I see is the lag with twin scroll. Hell even my td05 comes on better than that. I was hitting 15psi at 3500 on factory setup just for reference.

Power is about right, although I've seen people on this forum push 240kw with that same v8 sti setup. Maybe there is something else at play causing the "knock" ? e.g fuel/spark/electrical component failure imminent

Good point, i wonder what fuel was used... if plugs were changed and condition of coils. Surely if it was misfiring and "stuttering" they would have just addressed the issue with the owners permission to get the most out of it.. hmm

Dont put faith in someone because they sound like they know their **** on the phone. My gcp tune was ****e sure made good peak power and spool but curve was ****, rich off boost/cruise and didnt even touch cold start even tho i left it for 3 days because i wanted the cold start and cruise sorted as it was family wagon. Wasnt cheap either.

Fck it get a refund take elsewhere or get fozze to f with it for giggles. E&h arent cheap either but are open source which means you can tinker later.

evowrx said:
Dont put faith in someone because they sound like they know their **** on the phone. My gcp tune was ****e sure made good peak power and spool but curve was ****, rich off boost/cruise and didnt even touch cold start even tho i left it for 3 days because i wanted the cold start and cruise sorted as it was family wagon. Wasnt cheap either.

Fck it get a refund take elsewhere or get fozze to f with it for giggles. E&h arent cheap either but are open source which means you can tinker later.

So you don't reccomend Possum Bourne? Or the tuner Dan Kane? Apparently he used to work for E&H

$400 gets you a decent remote tune from a reputable tuner. Just just need a little patience, some straight road where nobody knows just how fast you can go in 3rd gear and a tactrix dongle. To be fair you could borrow mine as long as it comes back to me. :-)

evowrx said:

Agreed. My tune from pbms was rubbish,but that was about a year ago now. I can highly recommend dave from dtech

Az scoobie in states did extensive testing back in 2003-4 and figured out what worked and what didnt. Theres no specific sub tuner over here who can afford to spend 7 days straight losing money on each model head to figure them out. Id be confident in dave tonys car with decent cams and avcs makes more down low than a vf and thats where avcs counts.

Far out, I don't know what to do now. So probably won't go to e&h. They ripped off a mate doing an engine rebuild and mucked him around. I thought psbm were really good, but it appears you guys haven't had good tunes from them. Who from there tuned your cars rubbish?

If it's not those three. Who else in Auckland is good? Dtech is pretty far to limp drive the car aye

Dtech prob come out slighty cheaper even with gas. Be where id go on car of your calibre on stock ecu. Next to no chance of it blowing up on dyno or **** going wrong and dont need to leave it to sort cold start etc.

evowrx said:
Dtech prob come out slighty cheaper even with gas. Be where id go on car of your calibre on stock ecu. Next to no chance of it blowing up on dyno or **** going wrong and dont need to leave it to sort cold start etc.

What do you mean by don't need to sort out the cold start bro? Will that not change off my stock map?

Edited by Niran

Niran said:
What do you mean by don't need to sort out the cold start bro? Will that not change off my stock map?

Nope. Stock injectors and maf scale? If theyre stock theyre pretty much just playing with fuel, ignition, avcs and boost. Means tune doesnt take 8 hours either far less setting up compared to link etc.

Niran

Do you have the ability to pull the tune from your car, or have some one close by that can pull the tune?

That's assuming it's been tuned with open source.

Happy to take a quick look at it for you, as mentioned it maybe a mechanical issue and not tune related.

Phil

Andy_Mac said:
$1150 inc GST for first tune and $150 per hour for touch up tunes IIRC, for DTech, that is

Was quoted cheaper with mine as a going concern. All depends how long it takes. Gds is 1050+gst iirc full day but normally takes less time than that then dyno hire on top.