Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Average Torque Performance Tune?

Niran

• Admin
 kwi_fozze said:
The tune that was done was shocking. All low end avcs was dialed out, a lot of timing removed, fueling is rich as hell

It is actually terrifying that they charged you that much for such a poor quality tune

Before we get all crazy on it... are we sure that there isn't in fact some sort of issue causing the engine to knock?

boon said:
Before we get all crazy on it... are we sure that there isn't in fact some sort of issue causing the engine to knock?

Don't forgot it still got 215kw atw peak, and good torque in the high rev range - refer to dyno chart on page 1. So it can't have anything majorly wrong with it :)

I spoke to the ex tuner Dave from TP and he said there were other ways to avoid approaching knock rather than just making the tune rich. I will be getting it tuned for Gull force 10 as well, which could help.

Niran said:
Don't forgot it still got 215kw atw peak, and good torque in the high rev range - refer to dyno chart on page 1. So it can't have anything majorly wrong with it :)

I spoke to the ex tuner Dave from TP and he said there were other ways to avoid approaching knock rather than just making the tune rich. I will be getting it tuned for Gull force 10 as well, which could help.

Dyno power numbers can be manipulated so keep that in mind

Ok so, I have since gone in and double checked, as I may have jumped the gun with wats been changed.

Compared to factory tune:

Same avcs map

Same timing.

Same timing advance

Iam pegged to 16

Boost limit pushed to 24psi

Wastegate map has been tinkered with

Target boost has been flat increased

Top end fueling leaned out.

Basically, wind in a bit of boost, remove some fueling at the top end and call it good.

Will be having a look at what i've got on hand this weekend, see if we cant sort something till he gets to dtech for a tune

Same avcs map

Same timing.

Same timing advance

Really??? I would have thought that's where the drivability gains were to be made. Poor show from TP on this one. The question is now, does the owner know about this? I'm pretty sure he would not be too happy that this work is being done under his brand name so to say.

• Admin

Timing is where all the torque comes from, is my understanding. After that fueling is just put in what you need for it to be safe at a given advance.

EDIT: Obviously that is an over-simplification but you know what I'm getting at...

McDoof said:
Same avcs map

Same timing.

Same timing advance

Really??? I would have thought that's where the drivability gains were to be made. Poor show from TP on this one. The question is now, does the owner know about this? I'm pretty sure he would not be too happy that this work is being done under his brand name so to say.

It was the owner who did the tune. Maybe he had an off day, not sure. He did say they were extremely busy.

You may have one injector flowing a bit less than the others. Is why you possible had one cyl knocking. Hence adding fuel stopped the knock and enable him to make more power/add timing.

It wasn't running "that" rich that it would of hurt performance more than a few percent. Better rich than lean. Or even possibly in this case maybe just 1 cyl was lean. So the avg lambda had to be richened up to fix the problem.

Just a thought.

dmacnz said:
You may have one injector flowing a bit less than the others. Is why you possible had one cyl knocking. Hence adding fuel stopped the knock and enable him to make more power/add timing.

It wasn't running "that" rich that it would of hurt performance more than a few percent. Better rich than lean. Or even possibly in this case maybe just 1 cyl was lean. So the avg lambda had to be richened up to fix the problem.

Just a thought.

10.5 is rich when most tune around 11.5-12:1 above 14psi. Not a huge difference but whole thing would run sweeter a bit leaner where cylinder temps are higher.

Ramjet said:
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but has anyone had a subbie with SI drive tuned?

If so did they change each of the 3 mappings or some sort of overall tune?

The SI drive maps are just throttle maps and each one can be changed. The right tuner can give you a different boost peak for each setting.

Why is it that the only people who know what they are doing at the moment are DTech. It seems insane that someone can hand over that much coin and get a result like this. I’m fairy oblivious and out of the loop when it comes to the tune world but is this just an issue when it comes to tuning Subaru, where are all the Nissan, Evo’s and euro guys getting their tunes?

Highly reccomend DTech btw, supper keen to see how the tune goes on the 20th.

A_J_T said:
Why is it that the only people who know what they are doing at the moment are DTech. It seems insane that someone can hand over that much coin and get a result like this. I’m fairy oblivious and out of the loop when it comes to the tune world but is this just an issue when it comes to tuning Subaru, where are all the Nissan, Evo’s and euro guys getting their tunes?

Highly reccomend DTech btw, supper keen to see how the tune goes on the 20th.

Id recommend gds automotive too. Honest and fact he does mainly track/race cars says a lot about him. Knows mechanics and how to drive not just tuning which helps and hes a great dude too. Pretty much a link/motec guy tho.

Ddt are very good too.

McDoof said:
The SI drive maps are just throttle maps and each one can be changed. The right tuner can give you a different boost peak for each setting.

http://i.imgur.com/Fuvyt3m.jpg

Fuvyt3m.jpg

Unfortunately, images are gone, but some explanation:

Found this which helps explain it further...

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=15&t=8652

So there's a separate table for each mode (as in this screenshot http://i.imgur.com/Fuvyt3m.jpg) which sets a "Requested Torque" value based on the "Engine Speed RPM" and the "Accelerator Pedal Angle %"

These Requested Torque values are used in the Target Boost and Wastegate Duty Cycle tables.

The guy in the link at the top has altered the column break-points (whatever you'd call them) for the Target Boost table to coincide with the Si-Drive mode DriveByWire Requested Torque table...

e.g. The maximum Requested Torque in his Intelligent mode table is 350/360:

His Target Boost table's value for a Requested Torque value of 350 is 18psi and 360 is 19.99psi, so when in Intelligent mode his boost is set to 18psi (matches what he says in his post, maybe missed the RT values of 360? Not sure, might be a way of tuning?)

Then he has Sport mode set at a maximum RT of 400 and Sport Sharp set to a maximum 430. The 400 relates to 22psi and the 430 at 25psi in the Target Boost table.

The wastegate duty tables have also been tweaked:

Edited by pharnos

Tehaviata said:
I've been forced to run Mobil 97.5 when BP ran out of 98 and you do feel the difference. In saying that it was 20 litres mixed with 20 litres of BP 98.

Didn't get any knock but my efficiency and performance wasn't quite as good.

WTF are you for real you felt the difference in the fuel?? you must have sensitive ass cheeks bro Hmmmmmmm...

not an argument I want to enter but my car has no downsides to running this or BP I do however notice the ****er drink it faster if I'm forced to run Gull 98 which we shouldn't due to the ethanol in it

johnny5 said:
WTF are you for real you felt the difference in the fuel?? you must have sensitive ass cheeks bro Hmmmmmmm...

not an argument I want to enter but my car has no downsides to running this or BP I do however notice the ****er drink it faster if I'm forced to run Gull 98 which we shouldn't due to the ethanol in it

knock threshold will be lower with lower octane fuel. PRobably won't notice anything until it gets very hot and then the knock will come.

• 3 weeks later...

Im curious on that. I mean how do you tune flex fuel? You cant exactly smell the fuel and say oh thats 98 lets tune the 98 range then wind down the octane 0.5 exactly then go again. Cant imagine its linear either. Most cost a fair wack to tune flex fuel vs singular.

It's pretty close to linear. I'm in the process of tuning my flex fuel setup... Process has loosely been:

Complete 98 tune

Add 30% to 4D fuel map and 4* to ignition 4D map at 85% alcohol, interpolate tables back to zero%

Add 20 alcohol to tank, tweak fuel and ign maps

Add 40% alcohol and tweak

etc