Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Steel axles

Zach

Joker said:
depends on what you think they are already made of? / cant help sorry I'm a wood guy

have no idea what there made of but assumed because of how easy they brake it wouldn't be steel.

I'm guessing you mean chromoly? Which is a steel alloy that's generally tougher than plain steels.

The factory ones are steel. Possibly plain carbon steel or low alloy content but likely to be chromoly as well.

You could get some made but the cv's prevent you from making a super strong axle. As any axle is limited in outside diameter by the spline that fits the cv's at either end.

Have you looked at the driveshaftshop.com to see if they do an upgrade axle/cv set for your car?

Edited by Koom

Thanks koom. Yea I've looked at dss. They got some beefer ones. $1000 usd. Thats what gave me the custom axles job idea. Perhaps I could get some beefer axles for less. If not then I dont actually mind paying out for those dss ones.

Zach said:
Thanks koom. Yea I've looked at dss. They got some beefer ones. $1000 usd. Thats what gave me the custom axles job idea. Perhaps I could get some beefer axles for less. If not then I dont actually mind paying out for those dss ones.

Why not r180?

Yea I've looked real good into r180 swap. I need the whole subframe to do it right. Then matching box, (but tbh if I had r180 I would give the rwd novelty a go) I Like the r160 4.44 so the dss axles and cv upgrade would allow me to keep that funny little feature too

• 2 weeks later...
  • General Member

reading on another forum i frequentt & a discussion popped up in regards to this

vvega, on 23 Oct 2008 - 9:13 PM, said:depends on how you shorten them...i think thats a very wrong statement to make

have you ever shortened a axel ?

i dont think people realise that stock axels are billet.......

and they give people years of trouble free motoring ......

apparently from someone that knows what they are talking about (mind you could be a gross generalisation not sure on specifics)

recent discussion on this link if you can view http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index.php?/topic/24295-billet-axles-in-nz/page-3

yep, running the r160 atm, daily her until can afford a r180 hub to hub swap, talked with a guy today who had pile of broken axles and says he's gone thru 4 diffs, they daily fine but if you want to drift on a 160 you cant just ruthlessly dump, you got to "thrash her gently" I understand that though, I know through watching good drivers and practicing that once you can start to feel your running gear your able to correctly manipulate how you put your power down, smalls things like double clutching, clutch/throttle application/control, inertia initiating etc etc all guided through your sense of the car, I know experienced drivers know what im talking about, just a matter of conscious practice, it's definitely a skill that is useful in all vehicles, So Im motivated to put effort into learning this and honing driving skills, I'll update my experience from this mindset when I have an r180 installed and so much conscious driving is not necessary.

Thanks for the help once again, all the usual faces particularly.