Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Lowered outback thread

ADIKT

On 10/11/2016 at 6:44 PM, whitebait19 said:

Looking sweet! What size tyre and rim? Wanting a nice straight sidewall for my next set of tyres

Cheers bro!

225/45/R18

225/45 has a slight side wall curve but looks just right in my opinion.

Tried to get as close to the factory rolling circumference/diameter as possible, 235/45 would have been exactly the factory specs but no chance they would have fitted in the guard/flare (as I've found out since fitting up).

10 hours ago, whitebait19 said:

Aah yep, im on the same fitment atm but planning to go the same tyre in a 235/40 so one size wider and one size lower to get the sidewall flat.

The silver on silver looks mint!

Reasoning for the flat sidewall?

Care to update us on the situation of your wagon?

:) To me stretch has to be all or nothing, i prefer a clean straight looking sidewall. But thats just me being nit picky :-)

Update on the wag,new(er) long block still sitting on the floor, slowly swapping parts over from old. loom, water hoses, knock sensors, cam cover gaskets, fuel rails. Have intake mani gaskets due tomorow and will be getting new sparkies next week. Then it will be plopped back in, all going well that is!

IMG_20161004_221034_zpstebwyaot.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2016 at 1:56 PM, A_J_T said:

@ADIKT @JGM So all that is required* are legacy bump stops and Coilovers. Control arms and what not are optional or? 

Guard rolly poly - unless you'd be keen on a ridiculous amount of rubbing (wheel/tyre width dependent).

Control arms are necessary, otherwise you will be outside the factory camber spec.  I think @ADIKT is currently running -3 degrees? in the rear with standard upper control arms, you wouldn't get a cert there.  

• Like 1

@A_J_T Yes camber arms require certification.

Purchased mine from Scarles through Trade Me but you could go directly to their website/store.

14 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

Nom nom camber, tire wear, joy 

When I had my alignment done I was disappointed by the lack of tiltyness I had...

10 minutes ago, JGM said:

When I had my alignment done I was disappointed by the lack of tiltyness I had...

Yeah -1.25 degrees is not alot, but if its the OEM limit then it has to sit like that for the cert. now its got the cert plate i guess you could pull a little more out of it without creating obvious legal issues. 

That being said i do really like the way yours sits, looks sensible and tidy 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2016 at 3:04 PM, A_J_T said:

Yeah -1.25 degrees is not alot, but if its the OEM limit then it has to sit like that for the cert. now its got the cert plate i guess you could pull a little more out of it without creating obvious legal issues. 

That being said i do really like the way yours sits, looks sensible and tidy 

Cheers bro!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JGM said:

Cheers bro!

Let you in on little secret - haven't made the effort to get the cert yet!  Still have some rubbing issues which I need to remedy.

File_000%203_zpsej1doffr.jpeg

Haha, I know exactly where that photo was taken, the last place I worked designed the house in the picture!

• Like 1

This thread has me all conflicted :P JGM and ADIKT your cars do look sick, but for me anything lower is not for a subaru, but coming from the track the thought of "Stanced" cars just never made any sense to me. 

I dunno hey, think I would do it to a legacy, get it looking mean and fresh, but I love the outback for its height, my old green one back in SA was fantastic Leading the way where Hilux's and rangers we getting scared. 

@whitebait19 man your Lancaster has given me renewed hope in my one, your's looks really good and its the same color and trim as mine just wow, didn't think it could look so good all clean.  Please link me the built thread when its up, after yesterdays long drive the 4 speed auto box really annoyed me sitting at 2.5k Revs and only doing 100.. want the 5th or even 6th gear for cruising. wouldn't mind also doing the change 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, A_J_T said:

New wheels or spacers?

New wheels when I can afford it. Thought about spacers - but decided against them as I'd need a min 20mm spacer to clear factory wheel studs ( really don't want to trim them or grind them down or replace with longer studs 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ADIKT said:

New wheels when I can afford it. Thought about spacers - but decided against them as I'd need a min 20mm spacer to clear factory wheel studs ( really don't want to trim them or grind them down or replace with longer studs 

Actually think it was 25mm when i measured 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

noob question, if you just put OEM suspension from a legacy (and bump stops?), do you need to modify anything else/get it certed?

Wondering about the feasibility of buying my mate's BP Outback that is heading overseas next year and slapping some Bilsteins or standard shocks from a Legacy in it...

45 minutes ago, willisnz said:

noob question, if you just put OEM suspension from a legacy (and bump stops?), do you need to modify anything else/get it certed?

Wondering about the feasibility of buying my mate's BP Outback that is heading overseas next year and slapping some Bilsteins or standard shocks from a Legacy in it...

No cert required if you are using factory subaru suspension from the legacy. Just get a wheel alignment after the swap. 

Only need to cert for adjustables

• Like 1

Sweet, so just the struts and bump stops? Saw you guys talking about control arms which made me wonder if the swap wasn't so simple...or is that just because you guys have lowered more than standard legacy struts/springs would and that effects camber?

@willisnz 

Originally I lowered on Bilsteins with STi pinks with Legacy bumpstops, no issues whatsoever (bar a bit of a saggy rear end) and no requirement for certification.  When I say no requirement for certification I mean, legally you don't have to have the modification certified (and they won't question it at WOF time) however the ride height put my rear camber outside the factory specifications.  I was told by the guys doing the alignment that I would require camber arms to correct it - this modification does require certification.  I left the camber as it was (mostly cause it looked badass).

So to answer your question, if you were to install Legacy Bilsteins with standard LGT springs/bumpstops then you would be home and hosed (may or may not still be within the factory rear camber specs).

As always, an alignment after the work is completed.