Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Lowered outback thread

ADIKT

My HANKOOK Ventus S1 evo2's <--- "thats a name". Seem to be holding up ok.. Biggest thing is wheel alignments aye, made that mistake before and ended up dragging one around with too much toe on it for a while. that did more damage that running heaps of camber 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Individualities said:

Just wanna say, your car makes the normal Rev D headlights with Black & Graphite look really good.

Thought about doing a full Graphite surround on the headlights like the S401?

They have been modified internally, painted all the framing and some of the chrome parts flat black so they do look quite a lot darker than from factory.

Also removed the orange lens from in front of the indicator and fitted "Invisible" amber bulb to take away any of the orange colour.

Subtle but different B|

Thought about it but prefer the darker ones

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whitebait19 said:

They have been modified internally, painted all the framing and some of the chrome parts flat black so they do look quite a lot darker than from factory.

Also removed the orange lens from in front of the indicator and fitted "Invisible" amber bulb to take away any of the orange colour.

Subtle but different B|

Thought about it but prefer the darker ones

Hmmmmm. Did you heat up the glue to take the covers off the headlights? I'm pretty tempted to follow your lead on the orange indicator cover delete. I have LED indicators, so I don't really need the orange cover.

11 hours ago, whitebait19 said:

Got another project in the pipeline? I see the old BF leggy in the background O.o

11 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

What's next?

I've got a tonne of parts yet to go into the BF actually, needs a proper service too... Not looking to replace the Outback at this stage but if something were to surface which I couldn't refuse well then we'll see won't we. Bit of a sucker for the E61 Touring though @sobanoodle ;)

11 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Keep seeing you every now and then on Grafton Rd. ;)

Haha yeah, still work in the vicinity! Can't say I've seen you cause I'm not sure what I'm looking for these days! Hmmm something over 5 metres...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

After deciding for some time what my next car was going to be, I went out a couple of weeks ago and bought an 08 Outback - with the ultimate intention of getting some wide wheels and lowering it. I think your guys cars look great and I've got a long list of mods in my head for this. Bear with me if the pics don't work, I haven't used the forums since my last Legacy a few years ago.

So having just got a new car, what better than to take it down South and throw it at some water gravel and mud?! I have to say the clearance was fantastic for our bach driveway, and it's fast! However with 99% city driving I'd still like to try go down the adjustable suspension route. Hopefully this will be an ongoing project...

28736281877_ed6ec3e412_b.jpg

42906550164_7a9831499c_b.jpg

42720023955_56ea30ceec_b.jpg

41815806890_fb51e0196a_c.jpg

Edited by blackseb
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, blackseb said:

Hey guys,

After deciding for some time what my next car was going to be, I went out a couple of weeks ago and bought an 08 Outback - with the ultimate intention of getting some wide wheels and lowering it. I think your guys cars look great and I've got a long list of mods in my head for this. Bear with me if the pics don't work, I haven't used the forums since my last Legacy a few years ago.

So having just got a new car, what better than to take it down South and throw it at some water gravel and mud?! I have to say the clearance was fantastic for our bach driveway, and it's fast! However with 99% city driving I'd still like to try go down the adjustable suspension route. Hopefully this will be an ongoing project...

Nice tidy Wagon! Love that colour. 

My 2c - Wheel choice is the biggest thing to get right when going low. With the correct wheel its not too involved when it comes to guard work. I went for 18x8.75 20p + 235/40R18 tyre. If I did it again id go for 25p and a little more stretch on the tyre I think. That being said I do love the aggressive fitment I have. Just a lot of work went into getting it right. 

I also just lifted mine by 15mm because i go out of the city quite a lot and scrapping the road and bottoming out was getting a little old. in and around the City its awesome. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ADIKT said:

18x8.75 +19p 225/40/r18 for me

see I just got greedy, 225/40 seems to be the goods. any plans for your wagon mate? I'm getting the feeling alot of the lowered Outback boys are thinking of moving to something new... myself included 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

see I just got greedy, 225/40 seems to be the goods. any plans for your wagon mate? I'm getting the feeling alot of the lowered Outback boys are thinking of moving to something new... myself included 

After two years, I want my money out ;)

1 hour ago, A_J_T said:

Undecided - might just leave it how it is for a while longer yet (but yes I am having those thoughts too) 

I've almost reached a record though -  I'm a few days off 3 years with the same car! Usually someone has stolen my car by now lol 

• Like 4

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, A_J_T said:

Nice tidy Wagon! Love that colour. 

My 2c - Wheel choice is the biggest thing to get right when going low. With the correct wheel its not too involved when it comes to guard work. I went for 18x8.75 20p + 235/40R18 tyre. If I did it again id go for 25p and a little more stretch on the tyre I think. That being said I do love the aggressive fitment I have. Just a lot of work went into getting it right. 

I also just lifted mine by 15mm because i go out of the city quite a lot and scrapping the road and bottoming out was getting a little old. in and around the City its awesome. 

@A_J_T I had always planned to get the same XXR's that you have, so was stoked to find your pics - without wanting to copy your build, you're running the perfect height and fitment. Do you think that a staggered 35p front 20p rear would work better with a height similar to yours? I'm not adverse to making fitment work, however my partner also drives this (and has a ownership share) so I've got to keep some practicality!

I've just sold my project of the last few years, which was a 90s Hilux on 15x10's with no ground clearance whatsoever. So am loving the comfort of the OB at the moment, although as soon as I get wheels I'll be going low too. Would also love to get some advise from you guys on coilovers - which are best and what is required & recommended to make them work to a practical low - and be certifiable.

I ran BC Gold's in by 2002 Legacy GTB until that was stolen a few years back, loved them although not sure what other brands are like.

• Like 1

@blackseb Yea I like the idea of a staggered setup. Honestly I had not even considered that. 

There is heaps of room to be had if you don't mind going to the effort.The rear has never been an issue, roll the rear and bash it a little with a hammer and you are done. The fronts need a little more work.

To get good clearance at this hight I had to trim the front metal body guards a little. well, i didn't have to but pumping them any more meant the plastic clip-on guard was starting to pop off the metal guard and didn't follow the same clean line. More in my garage thread about that. Kinda a bad picture cause the wheel is turned, but when sitting on flat you couldn't get a finger between the wheel and plastic guard and there is still good travel up in there cause of the cutaway behind

40771138950_58ca343da6_k.jpg

I'm sitting back at this hight now, at this hight you can get away with just rolling and pumping the front guards. 

40834462414_e5a0175523_k.jpg 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A_J_T said:

40834462414_e5a0175523_k.jpg 

To high to high O.o

1 hour ago, blackseb said:

Would also love to get some advise from you guys on coilovers - which are best and what is required & recommended to make them work to a practical low - and be certifiable.

Lil self thread plug here ;) have my D2s for sale, both @ADIKT and I have run them in our Outbacks. I think they're good quality, similar to that of BC Racing I'd imagine... 

@blackseb you could buy all my suspension components if you wanted (minus the bracing and camber arms)! If you want that low life you'll need camber arms and smaller bumpstops. Read back through this read and @A_J_T's build thread, everything you need to know is in these two threads.

Seeing someone else just starting out is making me feel like a grandad of this lowered Outback stuff xD

• Like 2