Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Lowered outback thread

ADIKT

On 1/12/2017 at 8:44 AM, JGM said:

Holy S***!

I'd be keen to see you fitting them! 

You are going to require a lot of guard work...

On 1/12/2017 at 9:09 AM, JGM said:

The more I think about this (instead of working), I'm struggling to see how you're going to clear the inner fender liner etc... ?

Having said this I have seen this width/offset combo done in the states...

^My reaction to the 18x9.75 20p idea 😂

Having a little peek through the old files are we @A_J_T? Seems like your heading in a certain direction which both @ADIKT and I can assist with 😉 and you don't even own the car yet!

But in all seriousness, the larger/wider you go - the less room for tyre. I tried to keep the rolling diameter as close to factory as possible on my 8.5s which meant a 225/45 tyre, and that rubs on the inner guard liner at full lock (at my height that is).

Basically you need to cut the plastic flare that lips back inside (approx. 15-20mm), cut out the lower fixing point of the plastic flare and have all four corners rolled/hammered...

Will you be at the Westgate meet next @A_J_T? If so, you can have a better look at mine.

2 hours ago, JGM said:

Having a little peek through the old files are we @A_J_T? Seems like your heading in a certain direction which both @ADIKT and I can assist with 😉 and you don't even own the car yet!

Yea mate, this has been in the planning for longer than you know haha. 

2 hours ago, JGM said:

But in all seriousness, the larger/wider you go - the less room for tyre. I tried to keep the rolling diameter as close to factory as possible on my 8.5s which meant a 225/45 tyre, and that rubs on the inner guard liner at full lock (at my height that is).

Looking at 8.75 with 235/40 tires. But probably need to get a car to test fit before I get too carried away. Test drove an 04 today, pretty happy with how the 3L goes aye. 

2 hours ago, JGM said:

Basically you need to cut the plastic flare that lips back inside (approx. 15-20mm), cut out the lower fixing point of the plastic flare and have all four corners rolled/hammered...

Will you be at the Westgate meet next @A_J_T? If so, you can have a better look at mine.

Yip got all the details on massaging the guards, cannot wait B| 

Probably wont make the meet but keen to checkout your car in person again and have a better look at wheel fitment etc. 

Edited by A_J_T
  • Like 1

@JGM @ADIKT I don't have an outback yet but the day will come and when it does I have no interest in being in public with it at standard ride hieght so working on gathering the required parts already. 

In regards to the bump stops, do you think I could trim them down or just forget it and try find some legacy stops from a wrecker? 

6 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

@JGM @ADIKT I don't have an outback yet but the day will come and when it does I have no interest in being in public with it at standard ride hieght so working on gathering the required parts already. 

In regards to the bump stops, do you think I could trim them down or just forget it and try find some legacy stops from a wrecker? 

Def get legacy ones and match with legacy or adjustable upper control arms

23 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

Contacted 3 wreckers so far and they all reply "Sorry sold" EVERYONE'S lowering their outbacks! 

Was trying to get something along the lines of these https://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/product/hardrace-subaru-legacy-rear-upper-camber-arms/

I have the truhart ones.... sitting in my spare parts bin. I'll put them in one day. @JGM already has his in

2 hours ago, A_J_T said:

I think you'd need to go for the Legacy ones to be honest... @ADIKT I can't quite remember, did you trim/grind yours down or go for the Legacy ones?

37 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

scarles used to stock these yea? cant find any but the hardrace stuff and thats out of stock at redline too. 

@evowrx is this something you could get http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=KTA124

Here's your Hardrace adjustable camber arms; http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/suspension/auction-1363549016.htm

Yeah, Scarles used to stock Truhart.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JGM said:

I think you'd need to go for the Legacy ones to be honest... @ADIKT I can't quite remember, did you trim/grind yours down or go for the Legacy ones?

Here's your Hardrace adjustable camber arms; http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/suspension/auction-1363549016.htm

Yeah, Scarles used to stock Truhart.

I originally cut the outback ones as a temp measure until my legacy ones arrived from the wrecker. 

Then I trimmed my legacy ones even more lol. They are pyramid shaped now thanks to my hacksaw haha 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A_J_T said:

Contacted 3 wreckers so far and they all reply "Sorry sold" EVERYONE'S lowering their outbacks!

What would the wreckers charge?

This doesn't seem overly expensive but then I also just had a thought, you could go to pick-a-part and take some bumpstops off a BE/BH and they'd be identical for a fraction of the price...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1365483323

• Like 1

@JGM Didnt even think of looking new, those are reasonable price. should have just raxed them out of the ol BE haha. but yea i'll probably do a pick a part dive this weekend. was just keen to get them shipped to my doorstep being an office going bloke and all I try sort everything from my desk 9_9

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, A_J_T said:

was just keen to get them shipped to my doorstep being an office going bloke and all I try sort everything from my desk 9_9

$69.86 at your desk ain't bad! (free shipping)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JGM said:

$69.86 at your desk ain't bad! (free shipping)

Buuuut, like I mentioned, guessing they could be half that price at pick-a-part...

Just now, A_J_T said:

fronts not needed?

I guess there are none as its all part of the shock eh

Yeah yeah, built into the shock.

• Like 1

The timing of this discussion is just perfect ! I have the outback but haven't lowered it yet :)

This project was in standby for a long time, and I finally have some free time to take care of that.

On 7/7/2017 at 3:30 PM, JGM said:

you could go to pick-a-part and take some bumpstops off a BE/BH and they'd be identical for a fraction of the price...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1365483323

I was planning to find BP bumpstops at a wrecker, good to know that BE/BH ones are the same, it will make it easier.

@ADIKT @JGM If I've read everything correctly, bumpstops, struts and springs is all I need to change if I want legacy height, right ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, delta said:

@ADIKT @JGM If I've read everything correctly, bumpstops, struts and springs is all I need to change if I want legacy height, right ?

Yes, depending... What's the plan/desired outcome?

You'll end up with a decent amount of rear camber though.

22 hours ago, JGM said:

Yes, depending... What's the plan/desired outcome?

You'll end up with a decent amount of rear camber though.

The plan is to improve handling by changing my current shocks which are completely ruined (I think I can't go wrong with a simple plan like that :) )

And I can see that I need more camber by looking at my tyres, so it's a great side effect

Nice pictures BTW

13 hours ago, delta said:

The plan is to improve handling by changing my current shocks which are completely ruined (I think I can't go wrong with a simple plan like that :) )

And I can see that I need more camber by looking at my tyres, so it's a great side effect

Legacy struts, springs and bumpstops? I recall having a conversation earlier in the year about this... Make sure you check the spring rates to prevent raking.

As long as you don't go for any adjustable components then you won't require a certification and you'll be away laughing.

13 hours ago, delta said:

Nice pictures BTW

Cheers bro.

10 hours ago, JGM said:

Legacy struts, springs and bumpstops? I recall having a conversation earlier in the year about this...

Yep, posted an update in my Garage Thread if you're interested about the details of my plan

Make sure you check the spring rates to prevent raking.

Didn't really look into that yet. Was thinking about buying used legacy springs, would it be really bad ?

Or just enough to get some great downforce thanks to the front of the car being lower ? xD