Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

wheel offset?

Disruptz

soo, I'm planning a project where the missus stated it was a 'waste of money' so I definitively know that I am on the right path.. :cool:

The question is can someone help explain the law around offset (i.e running a 10.5 et +15) vs factory ( 17x7.5 et +53)

The law states,

"in the case of a front-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicle fitted with a

transversely-mounted engine:

(i) not more than 10% of the total wheel width positive; and

(ii) not more than 35% of the total wheel width negative;"

does this mean the offset can not be lower than 35% of the wheel width, so if I was to run a wheel that was 10.5 wide, the lowest positive offset could be +5 ? is this right?

• Admin

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=215&aspect=45&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=53&width2=245&aspect2=40&diameter2=17&wheelwidth2=10.5&offset2=15&Submit=Calculate#content

Have a play on there. Need to consider what will actually have a chance of fitting. That 10.5 + 15 setup would sit 76mm further outwards than stock which is bloody huge.

Disruptz said:
soo, I'm planning a project where the missus stated it was a 'waste of money' so I definitively know that I am on the right path.. :cool:

The question is can someone help explain the law around offset (i.e running a 10.5 et +15) vs factory ( 17x7.5 et +53)

The law states,

does this mean the offset can not be lower than 35% of the wheel width, so if I was to run a wheel that was 10.5 wide, the lowest positive offset could be +5 ? is this right?

You missed out the important bit. Taken from lvvta forum.

The wheel offset on a wheel fitted to a low volume vehicle, measured from hub flange to wheel width centre-line, including any spacers or adaptors if fitted, must be no more than 35% of the total wheel width negative or 10% positive. I.e

The 5.5" (140mm) wheel with 45mm positive offset sounds like a typical front-wheel drive rim. The offset is 32% of the rim width."....................

You can go way lower than +5 offset the original spec rim has nothing to do with it. It all comes down to the rim you bought. I have gone 18 x 10 -20 offset this sits out 104.6 MM more than the factory rim, but is only 7 % of the wheel width. If this was a 53 positive offset it would be around 20% of the wheel width.

Edited by ballsrburning

Disruptz said:

The law states,

10% of 10.5" is 27mm

35% of 10.5" is 93mm

So max/min offset of +27/-93

But I don't know how that equates to the factory wheels which are outside of that?

But that also states that it's for transversely mounted engines too. Subaru's are longitudinal.

Might be easier to post a question on the lvvta forum and get an answer straight from the horse's mouth. Or talk direct with a certifier.

What flares are you planning on using?

What flares are you planning on using?
the karlton flares from carbenfibre, which are moulds from the originals. I actually messaged subyflares/karlton the original manufacturer and I wouldn't be able to geat a set untill september/october. I'm still 50/50

Also keep in mind that you will need a cert if your wheels protrude from the original bodywork and track width is increased by more than 25mm.

If the wheels are tucked under aftermarket flares molded to the oe fenders wouldn't this fall under no-cert required category?

No. If you have unmodified bodywork, the wheels have to stay in the guards. If they're modified but would protrude from the unmodified guards, you can't increase the track beyond that figure without a cert.

It all depends on what the wheel does relative to the unmodified guards, basically.

Factory rims giving your examples are 28% of wheel width, the 10.5 inch, 5 positive offset is only 1% of wheel width.

It's not that hard to get your head around, it all works off the centreline of the wheel. You can get wheels certed which fall outside these limits you just need to prove its safe.

Edited by ballsrburning