Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Race car requirements

What are the requirements around an all rounder race car. Thinking of something like a deregd gc8 to compete in local car club events, drags and playdays. Do you need logbook cage etc being deregd?

Very long term just thinking thinking...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• General Member

anything that compete regularly needs logbook

cage will need to be ticked off

seats & belts min with cage too

the RSB I just got will just be a weekend / comp car with stock interior (for now) stripped to necessities

You can do a lot of events just with a fire extinguisher depending on what your local car clubs put on; usually timed solo stuff. Then cage/belts/airbag removal + authority card to step up a level. With a licence you can then go door to door. Keeping it road legal saves you having to tow it everywhere (tie up family car for the day) and lets you rally it. You still have to warrant and rego a car trailer anyway so that saving is not clear cut.

If you don't cage it, I would stick to gymkhanas and autcross type events, I wouldn't do hill climbs in it, seen a few cars written off now when they have flipped it in a hillclimb and had no cage, just stupid if you ask me.

pedro said:
Have you got a kart track up your way..

More fun ,less expense,family oriented,kart will fit in back of work ute and race meetings are usually once a month ..

Kart guys up here are a bunch of dickheads. Walk round like pompous farts, wont help or give advice and treat newbies like ****. So club doesnt see any new blood which is a shame.

evowrx said:
Kart guys up here are a bunch of dickheads. Walk round like pompous farts, wont help or give advice and treat newbies like ****. So club doesnt see any new blood which is a shame.

Total opposite in manawatu..Very helpful and accommodating of novice/noobs..

New blood is the future of the sport..Sounds like large ego's getting in the way of progress..

Shame things develop that way because karting is a very exciting and rewarding sport..

I've done many hillclimbs and sprints without a cage... some people think your are nuts, but you just have to adjust your driving style in the same way you would if your tyres were getting a bit past it or the road was in a sub optimal condition. Almost no gravel sprints can be done without a cage, and no passengers ever, which is the biggest downside IMO.

pedro said:
Total opposite in manawatu..Very helpful and accommodating of novice/noobs..

New blood is the future of the sport..Sounds like large ego's getting in the way of progress..

Shame things develop that way because karting is a very exciting and rewarding sport..

Yep its what happens when the honchos in charge dont let anyone new into the committee or upper echelon. Becomes very one eyed and seems they would rather see it dwindle away than flourish.

Similar to any local motorsport it seems. Ruakaka street sprint has gone from 6-7 runs down to 3 runs per car for a smaller field due to a big stand down between cars. All because the guys who used to run it well were pushed away. $200 for tge day to get 3 runs isnt what i call value for money. Similar story on hillclimbs guys only got 2 runs. Is that normal with club events? Rather go to playday at similar cost.

• General Member

yea the farmer wasn't happy about the grade of the fence repair last year (even tho we subb'ed in a professional after the competitor failed to sort it) now we might be lucky to do it once every 2 years now :/

• General Member

can be up to the CoC disgression / event case by case basis sans cage, a competent driver & safe car can be allowed to compete as per regs, big drop-offs & a rouge driver are often turned away or told to try next time / come back later

Joker said:
yea the farmer wasn't happy about the grade of the fence repair last year (even tho we subb'ed in a professional after the competitor failed to sort it) now we might be lucky to do it once every 2 years now :/

****, that really sucks.

Joker said:
can be up to the CoC disgression / event case by case basis sans cage, a competent driver & safe car can be allowed to compete as per regs, big drop-offs & a rouge driver are often turned away or told to try next time / come back later

1) Clerk of Course

2) discretion

3) French for 'without'

4) regulations

5) rogue

Better Dairusire?

• Subscribed Member
 Joker said:

Yeah, and it's usually fair enough too, I was marshalling at the Ngapara hill climb earlier this year, and on the corner I was on I watched a Civic go right over the cliff.

Thankfully they had a cage and they were all safe, but that was at an event where a cage wasn't required, so we're lucky that the only car that went off there actually did have one.

• Admin
 GC8E2DD said:
1) Clerk of Course

2) discretion

3) French for 'without'

4) regulations

5) rogue

Better Dairusire?

haha many thanks, was basically referring to the below as I'm not yet into actually competing in motorsports.

DCC ESCC/OSCC

I have a feeling those three are all clubs?

• Admin
 GC8E2DD said:
Then you think about the crazy **** people do on public roads in their boyracer ****boxes packed with drunk mates on a Saturday night with no fire extinguishing marshalls, tow trucks, or ambulances on standby ...

Simply put, it's not worth doing **** like that. I've done silly stuff, as I'm sure most of us have. However, putting other people at risk on the public roads like that is not cool.

Though, on topic again.

I am also looking to hopefully join a club and do the likes Auckland production car series which really interests me :)

Edited by Dairusire