Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Race car requirements

I have always had a trailer for my racing, although the rally car is the only car ive ever raced that is actually road legal so its a bit different haha, but yeah just have myself setup with trailer, prado and tow the rally car.

the rally car is also not a nice car to drive slowly or at cruise with clutch and the noise so much rather cruise to the event, do the skids, and if anything breaks you just throw it on the trailer, cruise home and fix it another day haha.

Depends on what your trying to do, if you just want to do some skids in a daily at a trackday id say the odds are good enough to deal with a breakage or otherwise if it happens. if you going to a rallysprint or full on racing the car then your pretty close to the limits so doesnt take much to make it undriveable

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my mx5 ill drive it to events in auckland/hampton downs, and probably tow it to Taupo/anything further. More for piece of mind really, its an old car and things break. Puke/HD are close enough that I can get a ride back to pickup tow car and a trailer, taupo is a bit more of a pain. The couple of trackdays ive done so far at taupo my partner has driven that down and ive driven my legacy, so if something did happen we have a car to get back to auckland and pickup a trailer.

Though with it only being an mx5 i could probably just chuck it in the back of someones wagon, its nearly small enough...

ok, back on topic then.

Entry level motorsport needs to be kept as accessible as possible, otherwise it will die out.

You can do clubsport advanced events without a cage and not be a suicidal irresponsible idiot.

You can do any clubsport event without a trailer, but if you don't at least try and keep your

car intact for the drive home, you are a bit of a dick and people's patience probably will run

out eventually. Having said that I have never met anyone without a trailer that didn't have car

preservation as their first priority. These people generally don't have the budget to drive like

they stole it either.

The authority card is only required if you have a caged car that you want to make road legal.

You'll need a motorsport license to do clubsport advanced events. You'll need a car club membership

to do any events (after the first two which are just for trying it out).

Just talking to one of the local club guys he said its fine to compete in events with a deregd car providing its to wof standard and isnt a paddock car.

So hard to find info or interpret the rule schedules around club motorsport. One would think the local club would have a run down on their site but nope.

People say the thing about WOFs because WOFs and Schedule A are both all about safety. So one would reasonably expect a road legal car

to be within the guidelines specified in Schedule A. The two are not related though and not everything on a road legal car is guaranteed

to pass scrutineering... but 99% of things will.

If you turn up to an event in an unmodified road legal car, the car will get very little attention from the scrutineers and they'll likely

just have a quick look about the engine bay... maybe a quick look underneath if they haven't seen the car before and you don't have a log

book... and that's it.

If you turn up in a car on a trailer with 3 wheels, to engines, two steering wheels and no brakes... they'll probably look very closely at it. When they do, anything modified that is referred to in schedule A, will need to adhere to schedule A.

If you start out with a car that was recently road legal, and only change one thing at a time making sure to follow

the rules in schedule A... then you'll most likely be fine. If you make a whole lot of changes and then look at

schedule A later, you may find you have to redo a lot of stuff.

Edited by loner

GC8E2DD said:
Assuming you can keep it on the road you'll probably destroy everything at your local Clubsport level.

Power tis not everything. Had no issue keeping it on the road before. Dont have to stomp it thro a corner at 5x what you should to have fun.

evowrx said:
Im basically throwing my turbo/fmic setup into a shell, tuning it and bringing it up to normal road spec. So not cutting or welding anything structural or chassis wise.

Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about... but you should get into the habit of scanning the regulations for anything pertinent.