Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Race car requirements

• General Member
 Dairusire said:
haha many thanks, was basically referring to the below as I'm not yet into actually competing in motorsports.

DCC ESCC/OSCC

I have a feeling those three are all clubs?

bingo Dannevirke Car Club, Otago CC, & not sure what the E one is

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscribed Member

DCC = Dannevirke Car Club

OSCC = Otago Sports Car Club

ESCC = Eastern Southland Car Club

And yeah, Club events have stopped me being an idiot on the roads, Much more fun being an organised event, and much much safer.

• General Member

I've always detested the MSNZ site (clunky / weird) but a full list of clubs around NZ are on here : http://www.motorsport.org.nz/content/motorsport-nz-contacts

but yea turn up, say hi & get in on it, most do something once a month (or we / DCC do)

I reckon every one wit ha licence should get in a paddock or a carpark with some cones at least once & loose control

• Admin

We threw out any notion of our ****box ever being road legal, means you can do crazy gnarly **** with suspension and structure and do mad things like putting the radiator in the back so you have more room at the front for the turbo.

boon said:
We threw out any notion of our ****box ever being road legal, means you can do crazy gnarly **** with suspension and structure and do mad things like putting the radiator in the back so you have more room at the front for the turbo.

See thats where my heads at but what are the restrictions?

If the car isn't road legal you can basically modify it to your hearts content, as long as the car is safe to be on the track. Ie it has a cage and safety gear like seats etc are upto scratch (ie not worn out ****). Scrutineering is far less invasive than a WOF as it's focused on safety plus common sense stuff similar to a WOF, but shorter. So they aren't going to check for coilovers etc as they just don't car for a race car. So not being road legal does have advantages.

Also means when the red mist kicks in and you stack the car, you have a trailer on hand.

However, value for money = road car driven to suit the conditions. Which Sam, Al and Loren have proved is a highly successful recipe. You can still do most track days, along with many sealed sprints as mentioned. And it's up to your own bravery/reactions as to whether you crash. At least in a road car you will generally only hurt yourself when you crash too!

GC8E2DD said:
The flipside to the non-road legal super custom uber race car, which you see time and again is they spend 99.99% of their time in pieces in garages and then 0.01% of their time competing.

For some thats the fun part especially when youve got kids.

You're not building a race car then, just a show car; your mates come over and you show them your race car =P

But seriously, I have three kids. They like to help tinker with the car, but some help is less 'helpful'. They like to watch races, but for fifteen minutes, not 6 hours.

GC8E2DD said:
You're not building a race car then, just a show car; your mates come over and you show them your race car =P

But seriously, I have three kids. They like to help tinker with the car, but some help is less 'helpful'. They like to watch races, but for fifteen minutes, not 6 hours.

Call it what you will. Its a race car it just might end up being that you built it for someone else.

I just love it when i need a stubby spanner and get told i cant coz the bike or the electric car or whatnot is getting a wheel change.

Totally understand the whole race an average car etc etc planning on using the legacy if events work out once its sorted.

• Admin

For me the dedicated car argument looks a bit like this:

I have a nice, fast road car/tourer. If I stacked it or blew it up on the track, then I would have a hard time replacing it, and I wouldn't have a nice road car any more.

I would also always have that in the back of my head when racing it, so it wouldn't get the caning it deserved.

With a dedicated car you trailer to events, you can drive it like you stole it, and if you blow it up or roll it or whatever you just winch it back onto the trailer and push it back into the shed until you figure out/can afford what you're going to do with it next.

I respect the hell out of the guys that drive to Mansfield, cane it for the day then drive it home. That's cool. But it's not quite my kettle of fish.

I can't think of anything worse than driving hundreds of kms at snails pace with a massively heavy trailer just to spend a total of 16 minutes racing... and that's for a double hillclimb weekend. A single hillclimb would be 8 minutes at most... 2 minutes per run.

Edited by loner

loner said:
I can't think of anything worse than driving hundreds of kms at snails pace with a massively heavy trailer just to spend a total of 16 minutes racing... and that's for a double hillclimb weekend. A single hillclimb would be 8 minutes at most... 2 minutes per run.

I cant think of anything worse than being stuck 3 hours from home with a broken car, no ride home and work the next day.

evowrx said:
I cant think of anything worse than being stuck 3 hours from home with a broken car, no ride home and work the next day.

I've only needed a trailer home 3 times in 10 years. Once from Taranaki, once from Manfeild and once a couple of weeks ago from Upper Hutt... No big deal.

Second car doesn't have to be trailered race car just needs to be second car..

Boon's post touched on the gist of it referring to not wanting to thrash the daily whatever it may be..

And Evowrx's fear of being stranded up the creek without a car/paddle suggest the need for a backup..

Edited by pedro

pedro said:

And Evowrx's fear of being stranded up the creek without a car/paddle suggest the need for a backup..

Always friendly people to help out with whatever is needed at clubsport events. People will lend you a trailer and a car,

trailer your car and get someone to drive their race car home, put you up for the night... store your car... sort out cheap

towage rates from their mates... etc

loner said:
Always friendly people to help out with whatever is needed at clubsport events. People will lend you a trailer and a car,

trailer your car and get someone to drive their race car home, put you up for the night... store your car... sort out cheap

towage rates from their mates... etc

You should really only rely on yourself to get the car home, people are helpful but there is a limit to people's patients.

Edited by ballsrburning

ballsrburning said:
You should really only rely on yourself to get the car home, people are helpful but there is a limit to people's patients.

Really? So if someone offers to help out in a bad situation I should refuse? You didn't seem like an arsehole when I meant you at clubsport nat champs, but I may have to re-evaluate now.

And FYI, I paid a tow company twice, and accepted a kind offer to trailer once... I gave them $100-$200 off my own back.. so really again... go **** yourself.

Edited by loner

• General Member
 Dairusire said:
On that note of Mansfield... Anyone wanna loan me a trailer for flatnats so I can trailer my RA down from Auckland and back haha.

Manfield so S :P

lol that escalated quickly