Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Race car requirements

loner said:
Really? So if someone offers to help out in a bad situation I should refuse? You didn't seem like an arsehole when I meant you at clubsport nat champs, but I may have to re-evaluate now.

And FYI, I paid a tow company twice, and accepted a kind offer to trailer once... I gave them $100-$200 off my own back.. so really again... go **** yourself.

And you're not so aggressive when actually in front of someone. Next time we meet, I will raise this with you again and let's see how aggressive you are in person, I'll be only too happy to discuss at length.

You paid them what any decent person would have, that's not something to be proud of.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would not have said that to my face in the first place... And if you had said something like that at the national championship you would have looked like a total twat. Your sentiment is basically the opposite of what grassroots motorsport is all about... Of course Im talking to a trailer queen with a cheque book race car complete with gold intake piping... So should not expect more.

loner said:
You would not have said that to my face in the first place... And if you had said something like that at the national championship you would have looked like a total twat. Your sentiment is basically the opposite of what grassroots motorsport is all about... Of course Im talking to a trailer queen with a cheque book race car complete with gold intake piping... So should not expect more.

I'm not arguing over a forum, this is the last I'll say about it. I will wait until we are face to face, then we can sort it out.

Having a trailer doesn't make you self reliant. If you crash are you going to get your car off the road or from down a bank yourself? If you dump oil all over the track are you going to clean it up yourself? If you are hurt are you going to administer first aid to yourself?

ballsrburning said:
I'm not arguing over a forum, this is the last I'll say about it. I will wait until we are face to face, then we can sort it out.

You are a joke. Why are you talking tough when you are a jolly soft programmer?

Joker said:
Manfield so S :P

Actually, Manfeild ;) hahaha "e" before "i" ;)

I guess I must be too much of a good c**t, as I remember when I first met Luke (Sl8r) at Manfeild his car ran a bearing and he was trapped there with no way to get back down to Welly, feeling sorry for him, I borrowed a trailer and towed him back!

A couple of times a year I have driven 1000km or more over a weekend to go to a sprint (mostly in Taranaki), then drive home afterwards. So far I have done this just by driving the WRX. But the main limitation for me is finding room in the car to carry everything. Cage gets in the way of fitting tyres/spare parts. And as people have said, risk of accident goes up the braver you get. But in my experience people at clubsport events are nice people and more than happy to help a fellow competitor out. Alot of it comes down to attitude though.

I have recently got a car to tow with, so will trying towing and see how much easier it is, I certainly like the idea of not driving a loud/bouncy car home after a days racing. In saying that, having recently had to follow my girlfriend to and from Taranaki towing a trailer full of spares for a rally, I got very sick of doing 90ish km/hr. Makes me sleepy.

So, that was not helpful really. I say, build a road legal race car and use it. Everything else is irrelevant, and trailer queens are boring.

• General Member

Wow... That got interesting,

I dont do anything serious really but I have driven to a number of playdays, a couple hillclimbs and a few drag days over my time of ownership and I have only had to be towed home once. I pushed the bastard out onto the street (with a little help) locked it up and came back the next day with a rented trailer and borrowed car.

I have looked into the full time caged car and trailer thing but it just seems like such a large outlay to me. Not only do you need the trailer you also need something that can tow well on a semi regular basis. Thats always required a vehicle bigger than I wanted to own as a daily.

I have always been lucky enough to have other options as well, Mums car was an option for work in my teens and I had a company car from my early twenty's. Purely horses for courses I think.

I will drive from Auckland to Manfield for Flatnats and if it breaks I will tow it to my Sisters place in Wanganui and fly home. The bastard can rot ha ha.

• Admin
 loner said:
Of course Im talking to a trailer queen with a cheque book race car complete with gold intake piping... So should not expect more.

If someone has the money to spend on that kind of thing and chooses to do so, who are we to judge?

Not sure what's made you fly off the handle in such a big way on this one.

I can see both sides of the it but think its both at the extreme. True you shouldnt go with no helmet or overalls to every meet and try beg steal borrow what you need thats bull****. On the other hand there should be a level of common decency just dont think you can rely on the fact someone like tony or loren will be there to save your sorry arse that one time.

boon said:
If someone has the money to spend on that kind of thing and chooses to do so, who are we to judge?

Not sure what's made you fly off the handle in such a big way on this one.

I flew off the handle because he intentionally antagonised me and implied that I was some some of nuisance for not having a trailer.

He judged me for not having a trailer, so I judged him for having more money than talent.

evowrx said:
I can see both sides of the it but think its both at the extreme. True you shouldnt go with no helmet or overalls to every meet and try beg steal borrow what you need thats bull****. On the other hand there should be a level of common decency just dont think you can rely on the fact someone like tony or loren will be there to save your sorry arse that one time.

I have never expected anyone to help... I have money and a cell phone and that's all I need. If someone local tries to help and soften the blow it's very welcome. Being stuck

away from home and with a likely very expensive repair job in the near future can be tough... it's also inevitable if you compete in motorsport, and everybody else had been

through it.

Planning a backup is good ..but can get forgotten in the flurry of preparations and excitement of the coming event..

The guy that does my mechanical work has a tandem trailer and i have his mobile number just incase..

Haven't had to ring him but a plan is in place..

Big ups to Tony and Loren for their thoughtfulness..

• Admin
 loner said:
I flew off the handle because he intentionally antagonised me and implied that I was some some of nuisance for not having a trailer.

He judged me for not having a trailer, so I judged him for having more money than talent.

I think you read way more into it than was ever there, to be honest.

I read his post as saying "don't take for granted that someone will bail you out, even if you know deep down that someone will; it's best to be self-sufficient within reason"

For example I know that if the motor on our boat takes a **** the Coastguard (or another generous boatie) will come and tow us home, but I also take responsibility for servicing that motor and ensuring it's as reliable as possible, because I would prefer not to ever need that service, even though I know it's available.

• Admin
 GC8E2DD said:
A tow car can break down too.

I have heard an epic tale of woe involving a Nissan Patrol with a racecar on the back; apparently some generous fellow had been (unbeknownst to the owners) interrupted while trying to steal the wheels and one of them only had a single lug-nut on it, made it to about Mana before the stud sheared off.

I have 40k in race car trailers that are used by others alot more than me free of charge. Would let anyone in this club borrow one of them no problem at all.

However I can totally agree about being organised yourself. It's not hard to make a few phone calls or arrangements for the what if situation prior to the event. My trailer queen two cents worth

• Admin

I was being serious about if someone has a trailer in auckland or near that I can use for FlatNats. I don't mind paying to use it, I'd just rather not fork out $300 for the weekend to hire it from a company.

It's a long way to go down there for a track day only to get stuck with a popped motor (like y'all said, planning for the worst, hoping for the best).