Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

"Total Turbo NZ" (Wellington) - anyone dealt with them? Need TD04-HLA rebuilt

Hey,

Turbo on my car is not performing properly, not sure if it was caused by big-end bearing failure or vice versa. Engine has since been replaced so seems like I should do something about the turbo.

"Total Turbo" have quoted me around $450 for a rebuild assuming it's a simple job (fit OE rebuild kit, rebalance). That seems like a really good price. Wondering if anyone has dealt with them before?

Alternatively, I've found a TD04-HLA for $695 from a wrecker w/ 30 day warranty which seems reasonable.

What would you do? I don't want to try and improve performance of car (MY04 Legacy BL GT), just restore to original spec.

Why's that Evowrx?

They're a sponsor over at DOBC, few guys there have used with success and haven't seen any complaints.

Don't buy a second hand turbo they're always a gamble, rebuilt is a way smarter option. Could be worth looking into upgrading to a second hand td05 for a bit of extra power and having that rebuilt instead (care for cracks in exhaust housing near the center clamp piece, they crack in the lip under the clamp)

• General Member

general rule of thumb like tires I guess : if you haven't heard of their name or cannot pronounce it, then don't use them?

keen to know more otherwise (both Turbo issues & the re-builder in question, get them to hop over here & intro themselves maybe?

edit : saw an interesting read the other day on MSE's facebook about people or tuners claiming the turbo was an issue when in reality it can be many many contributing factors as to why a 500hp Huffer only produces 300 or whatever : I'll find link / quote it here shortly

12417698_10153177442127680_8174898611349340664_n.jpg?oh=37b33d868bc284ea5f3a1d3ab6f6daa5&oe=585CCB89&__gda__=1482537516_726c481fc2054429d8eded41f24a936b

Steve Murch- Motor Sport Engineering

30 July at 14:51 ·

I get countless calls a week and messages (when I get time to answer them) regarding many things but some things stand out, one that seems isn’t answered that easily is “I’ve run out of turbo”.

Not meaning it’s damaged or worn but more like why they can’t make more power from my setup?

Normally people blame the turbo and sometimes this can be the case but not always, one contributor to the confusion is the dyno and no I’m not picking on dynos or operators its more about how a...

Continue reading

13900294_10153591822807680_7837949235354092843_n.jpg?oh=fe0c9f3b8755dbef9cfeffa12b64ee75&oe=5822F351&__gda__=1478066643_475dba3dba61678452d7bb2a27115140

not sure if relevant or not but that's the info (more on the image click thru to his page)

Edited by Joker

eddiewould said:
Hey,

Turbo on my car is not performing properly, not sure if it was caused by big-end bearing failure or vice versa. Engine has since been replaced so seems like I should do something about the turbo.

"Total Turbo" have quoted me around $450 for a rebuild assuming it's a simple job (fit OE rebuild kit, rebalance). That seems like a really good price. Wondering if anyone has dealt with them before?

Alternatively, I've found a TD04-HLA for $695 from a wrecker w/ 30 day warranty which seems reasonable.

What would you do? I don't want to try and improve performance of car (MY04 Legacy BL GT), just restore to original spec.

Ive been using david for turbos on my own car & mates customer cars for years. Never had an issuse or have they. Good to deal with & has been involved in diffrant areas of motorsport for a number of years. Check out his fb page. Or if your local happy to show you turbos hes built for me.

You cant hear turbo bearings . Good or worn out .

Have u eliminate anything that could be a result of pf the engine having been out and back it . Turbo inlet or outlet noises . Heat shield not put back it . Air box lid not clipped in properly ?

lachlan said:
You cant hear turbo bearings . Good or worn out .

Have u eliminate anything that could be a result of pf the engine having been out and back it . Turbo inlet or outlet noises . Heat shield not put back it . Air box lid not clipped in properly ?

I can hear something that sounds to my ears like high RPM whining and seems to respond to throttle. My mechanic said the "turbo has a noise from bearings". Do I need to find a new mechanic?

rumbley 2 said:
Ive been using david for turbos on my own car & mates customer cars for years. Never had an issuse or have they. Good to deal with & has been involved in diffrant areas of motorsport for a number of years. Check out his fb page. Or if your local happy to show you turbos hes built for me.

Thanks!

a stuffed turbo certainly can make a noise from the bearing/rotating assembly, how ever it is pretty unlikely/uncommon and you would probably know about the turbo being damaged long before a journal bearing actually gave up or made a audible noise and it would likely be related to oil starvation problem

They don't run a traditional type of bearing(not a ball bearing thing) it's a journal bearing so it's sorta like a metal ring with holes in the middle(for oil) fitted to a shaft that is lubricated with oil, hard to describe lol just youtube td05 rebuild and you'll see what I mean. They generally don't fail and make a "bearing noise" they usually just leak oil very badly and smoke out the exhaust ect

Edited by slystiguy

I screwed that post up when I tried to copy paste something into it lol.

this is what the inside of it looks like basically

So if it spins without oil it will get hot and die after a short amount of time. I dunno if the pump could have starved your turbo though? If metal contaminants has been through it while hot that could probably damage it

ctawy.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

long story but ill just sum it up. Yeap ive dealt with him before i recommend DONT. the owner is a nice guy name david he explains every step/diagnosis that he will do to your turbo. but i had to go through so much drama and hassle could got myself a new garret turbo.