Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Choosing the right FMIC for a GDB STI

Niran

Hey guys,

So i'm planning the next wave of mods for my version 8. Have a nice 220kw ATW currently, but kinda want more! :D Good convo with Dtech after my tune resulted in recommendations of: Bigger turbo, injectors and FMIC. The first two are probably gonna cost me the most and i'll probably only get around to those much later. But I'm thinking, I can maybe get a decent FMIC setup for a good price, install it myself and possibly fix current heatsoak issues and maybe squeeze another 10kw or so if i sort a cold intake as well.

I've read through most of the FMIC threads (most of which are over two years old now), and it seems you guys have tried a whole bunch of stuff: redline, HDI, luxury sports and Scarles. All of which seemed to have some negative in terms of fitment issues or core quality. In regards to turbo setup in the future, I most likely will go with straight bolt ons and don't really want to flip the manifold due to a lot more added cost. Looking at the options out there at the moment, this is what is available:

Redline ($595):

http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/products/intercoolers/front-mount-intercooler-kits/subaru/subaru-wrx-and-sti-gdb-intercooler-kit/

Luxury Sports ($480):

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/radiators-cooling-systems/auction-1142346439.htm

HDI ($799):

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/turbos/auction-1144778928.htm

HDI Hybrid ($665):

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/turbos/auction-1144172510.htm

Scarles ($449):

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/turbos/auction-1144772778.htm

What do you guys rekon? What do my fellow GDB owners that have FMICs run at the moment? Any info will be appreciated.

Nice post. Imo i wouldnt bother retuning with just fmic 10wkw for the price of a tune is a **** return. Get everything together then fit and retune.

One thing to remember is the fmic and what you cut/bumper beam etc must pass wof/cert.

All the above options will be fine theyre much of a much all chinese coolers that seem to work fine.

Cheers man. I think dtech do an hourly rate for minor changes on tunes aye. So wouldn't be much of a cost get that sorted I don't think. Chris did my whole tune in less than an hour the last time! Crazy.

Yeah true read about the whole cert thing. In all honesty though, do they actually check? It's not really visible unless you take the bumper off aye?

• Admin

Or alternatively, get a bunch of piping and stuff from pro-wholesale and go to town making your own. Get to keep the bumper beam for legal reasons too. If a muppet like me can do it, i'm sure many more of you could.

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac said:
Or alternatively, get a bunch of piping and stuff from pro-wholesale and go to town making your own. Get to keep the bumper beam for legal reasons too. If a muppet like me can do it, i'm sure many more of you could.

I'd go custom as well. Get a nice core and then work out the right size piping for the hot and cold side for optimal performance and you can also make it fit perfectly.

• Like 2

Nice that sounds like a good plan! I've heard lds fab do great work! Pending price offcourse. If i had money to burn, then a Perrin Kit would be amazing, but hey not a baller lol.

Any recommendations on a core by itself? I read somewhere that tube and fin would probably result in less lag?

• Admin

Thats what I've put in mine. Not making big boy power but it hasn't been any sort of limitation or lag maker so far. Think it was the 180mm one, can't actually remember but it hangs pretty low under the untouched crash beam. Would have been slightly visable without the sti lip

Edited by Andy_Mac

evowrx said:
Nice post. Imo i wouldnt bother retuning with just fmic 10wkw for the price of a tune is a **** return. Get everything together then fit and retune.

One thing to remember is the fmic and what you cut/bumper beam etc must pass wof/cert.

All the above options will be fine theyre much of a much all chinese coolers that seem to work fine.

10wkw thats a bit just for a FMIC. surely the later sti inter coolers are just as efficient? just not after sitting at the lights?

IMO if ya going to go fmic... and upgrade turbo etc... why not get the best you can? one of those Chinese ones might just cause you more issues than good. Do it once do it right? but i understand that theres a huge price difference

Changing dyno can net 20wkw- gain 10wkw is a margin of error. If IAT were climbing then yep prob a gain to be had.

Not all brand name parts are good cant remember what the intercooler was think it was a trust one but held a 1jz at 220wkw with only core change to a chink one pulled 260-280ish.

I ran a chinese one for the last 3 years or so never had an issue and was bloody efficent from td04 thro to hrc35/2.

From what I understand there are a couple of different types of bar & plate FMIC internally. Not sure who supply's what but if i was buying in the future id be asking for an internal photo, not all the cheap ones are "bad".

dense core - slow the flow slightly but cooler charge:

ets%252520core.jpg

low density core - good flow, less cooling:

ebay%252520core.jpg

I would lean towards the HDI kits.

The best would be custom made fitmet of a generic core, but you could expect to pay 3-4x the kit price.

FMIC provides the consistency in temperatures that the top mount can't in daily driving. At speed on a track I think the results would be much closer.

• 5 months later...