Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Choosing the right FMIC for a GDB STI

Niran

For about $1400 - $1500 you can get LDS to do you a full front mount and intake custom setup with a Moshimoto intercooler. I wanted to get it done so bad, but ran out of cash lol. If you go with off the shelf, you are looking at $595 for a redline kit (http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/products/intercoolers/front-mount-intercooler-kits/subaru/subaru-wrx-and-sti-gdb-intercooler-kit/) and you still need to get it installed which could be a PITA :)

If you have the money, I'd go LDS @Batbaruman

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

That redline one won't be certable if that beam is needed to replace the standard bumper beam for fitment.

$1500 aint too bad including the intake. I was at 500-600 from memory just for all the parts which didn't include the intake

This is a bit of a grey area..

According to the L V V S # 155-30 (02) any vehicle over 14 years of age can have modifications that will not affect frontal impact regulations..

Minimal removal of material is allowed as long as you don't modify the main structural members..

Check with certifier about mods you may be considering and you may be surprised about what is now permitted..:)

12 hours ago, Niran said:

For about $1400 - $1500 you can get LDS to do you a full front mount and intake custom setup with a Moshimoto intercooler. I wanted to get it done so bad, but ran out of cash lol. If you go with off the shelf, you are looking at $595 for a redline kit (http://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/products/intercoolers/front-mount-intercooler-kits/subaru/subaru-wrx-and-sti-gdb-intercooler-kit/) and you still need to get it installed which could be a PITA :)

If you have the money, I'd go LDS @Batbaruman

cheers man, so that price you're saying includes fitting? whats this intake custom setup? im just trying to picture it all in my head and struggling haha. its a $1k price difference but i'd be doing it for a specific purpose so i think a few months down the track after i've enjoyed the crap out of current setup i should be able to justify gboing the extra mile to do it properly rather than chance it it a less than perfect frontmount

• Admin

Hokay, now that we Bugeye owners are allowed to do a bit of trimming up the front this opens up a whole new world of front-mounts to me.

I may have to have a talk to my fabricator and see what can be done...  and then I will advise. I suspect we can now get a bit more creative around pipe routing.

3 hours ago, boon said:

Hokay, now that we Bugeye owners are allowed to do a bit of trimming up the front this opens up a whole new world of front-mounts to me.

I may have to have a talk to my fabricator and see what can be done...  and then I will advise. I suspect we can now get a bit more creative around pipe routing.

so this is official? i had a quick chat with the guy while he was doing cert on mine (currently top mount, mentioned im going front mount)... he said i would have to get cert again for that even if i dont cut the crash bar and stuff. said lvv prefer to be kept in touch on the process of making any custom mounts. he was pretty pedantic in particular but i'm not up to speed with all the rules/laws , if theres been a recent change that would be good to have links to in case do it and get stickered.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

so this is official? i had a quick chat with the guy while he was doing cert on mine (currently top mount, mentioned im going front mount)... he said i would have to get cert again for that even if i dont cut the crash bar and stuff. said lvv prefer to be kept in touch on the process of making any custom mounts. he was pretty pedantic in particular but i'm not up to speed with all the rules/laws , if theres been a recent change that would be good to have links to in case do it and get stickered.

Essentially the rule before was that ANY modification of frontal impact structures was unable to be certified.

Now on a 14+ year old car you can slightly modify frontal structures, but it does require certifying.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

so a random question to add on this topic.

going front mount with the stock bumper/headlights, the front plate will be blocking off some parts of the FMIC from direct air flow through the fins. is this a big deal enough that trying to relocate the front plate should be considered? if so, is it easy enough to relocate?

On 2/20/2017 at 7:08 PM, Batbaruman said:

thanks mate, top mount for life. :)

lol @ me 3 months ago :P

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Batbaruman said:

so a random question to add on this topic.

going front mount with the stock bumper/headlights, the front plate will be blocking off some parts of the FMIC from direct air flow through the fins. is this a big deal enough that trying to relocate the front plate should be considered? if so, is it easy enough to relocate?

lol @ me 3 months ago :P

Won't make bugger all meaningful difference, wouldn't bother IMO.

• Like 1