Joker

I wish the forum had......

8 hours ago, Gripless said:

Why archive?

Will search results break from google etc 

Do we really need Google searches for the hundreds of old TradeMe listings? Don't plan to archive anything except for old, stale classifieds.

8 hours ago, Batbaruman said:

Don’t archive just have moderation over for sale sections to solve that particular problem? There are legit old for sale stuff like boons turbo for example that wouldn’t wanna auto archive

Happy to do both.
Can set an auto archive with a very small net, say classifieds topics with no posts in the last 12 months.

Then we can also have a manual archive folder where moderators move topics once sold or gone stale.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1randomkiwi said:

Do we really need Google searches for the hundreds of old TradeMe listings? Don't plan to archive anything except for old, stale classifieds.

i guess it depends how you archive it. if they simply move in to an archives sub folder within that area then it's still searchable. if they completley disappear from viewing then not easy to reference. sometimes it's useful to find what was for sale , how much demand there was and how much it ended up selling for.

age old conundrums

keep old posts : yep cos history & prices

delete them : cos confusion

glad you guyy are keen on helping to keep the forums tidy though!

1 hour ago, Batbaruman said:

sometimes it's useful to find what was for sale , how much demand there was and how much it ended up selling for.

Hardly ever anyone bother to maintain their listings plus majority of trades/negotiations are done privately anyway. 

• Like 1

And then when / if it goes "sour" they often expect "us" to be the cops & sort it out....

I'd prefer to delete the whole section, OR make it a 'premium' section / pay to trade style (for subscribers only) and help cover the costs of the forum

• Like 2

Found an example of an archived post:

You can still see the topic and view the posts but you cannot comment on it.
It's essentially "locked" and helps save on resources by being archived.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Joker said:

'premium' section

I have to remind myself that I was dead against and instigated the removal of the previous "paid" section

• Like 1

What about something where if you don't get a reply from a listing you can get a mod to contact them, and if no answer in a set time then it gets archived along with any sold listings.

If you are really wanting to sell it here then you will keep an eye on it or bump it from time to time to keep  interest in it.

Also add in note to the rules about this, then if its archived or deleted then you can refer them back to the terms and conditions.

Edited by SpeedySub

12 hours ago, SpeedySub said:

What about something where if you don't get a reply from a listing you can get a mod to contact them, and if no answer in a set time then it gets archived along with any sold listings.

If you are really wanting to sell it here then you will keep an eye on it or bump it from time to time to keep  interest in it.

Also add in note to the rules about this, then if its archived or deleted then you can refer them back to the terms and conditions.

IMO if you want to sell something on ClubSub but don't update it or reply then that's the member's responsibility.

If you forget, then login and realise that it has been archived, it can be unarchived by a mod via the report post request.

Will definitely create a pinned post for Buy/Sell/Trade topic rules.

• Like 3