Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Help! Fuel/starting problem: 97 Legacy GT-B nightmare!

Chris_McCartney

Hey guys, I need advice from the tech gurus here. I just bought this car last week from a private seller (Facebook Buy/Sell Group) and two days after purchase it's become a headache. I signed a sold as seen receipt so there's nothing I can do but fix it and get rid of it asap. Had the car a week today and it's cost me $500 already on fixing things.

The car:

1997 Subaru Legacy GT-B twin turbo, manual (206PS). 201*** km's, cambelt changed at 160***

The problem:

I have fitted a new battery and a new fuel pump, but the car seems to crank when cold and won't get any fuel, you can hear it try to start, and then when it finally does run, it will idle about 200rpm for a second until the fuel is pumping through the system, you need to rev it to get it to pump fuel. I just fitted a brand new fuel pump, but it sounds like it's not trying to pump fuel until the engine is running, then when the engine is going you can hear the pump buzzing away (with rear seat out). I thought it m pay have been a vacuum problem but it's an electric fuel pump, it just doesn't want to pump until the engine is going. I suspect fuel pump relay, but I have no idea where I can get a replacement and it's proving a nightmare to find one online. Anybody got any ideas? I suspect fuel as the car is fine once its up and running (a bit slow maybe, but I think that's just the way the standard GTBs are).

I really want to fix it and sell it ASAP as I'm hating my ownership of this car from about day #3. I had a Legacy B4 RSK but some thieves took it on me and insurance didn't pay me the full payout, and I got stuck with this, which seemed all good at the time, until around day #3 when it started to show various problems. I don't have a lot of money but I'm reasonably mechanically minded so I would like to get it going myself, if i spend $1000 on a mechanic and then sell it straight after then it won't be viable for me. I miss my B4. :-(

Thanks guys,

Chris

Just did that Joker, thanks. It idled the same but I got a Check Engine light pop up, plugged it back in and the Check Engine light disappeared. It doesn't sound like the fuel pump is priming before starting, at least I can't hear it over the noisy electric aerial. Folded back seat down and pulled up carpet, still didn't hear fuel pump. It runs fine when engine is running but it doesn't seem to be priming. Any idea where the Fuel Pump Relay fuse is? My fuse box is in Japanese and I can't find anything about the Pump Relay, other than it's a green plug under the dashboard...

• Like 1

Yeah I've been searching the net for stuff about the Relay since last sunday, I have even found ways of bypassing the relay and wiring a manual switch or having fuel pump run continuously on ignition. I have an alarm system and I'm really really hoping it's not the alarm system blocking the relay from starting. Going to go out to my car and pull fuse cover off and compare with the fuse box diagrams in the link, will report back!

Well it turns out mine is exactly the same fuse cover as your 1998 BG5 Legacy. From what I can find on internet (from looking at remote) it's a Mongoose alarm with the code N4096 Z333 on the remote, which according to Google is a remote for either an M60 or M80 Mongoose alarm. The immobiliser is definately working, as you need to press the remote a second time (with key in ignition) to turn off immobiliser. Did you ever find a fuse diagram for your BG5?

• Like 1

• General Member
47 minutes ago, Chris_McCartney said:

Did you ever find a fuse diagram for your BG5?

nah but pull each one individually & check them, they might look good so run test light over them or continuity tester, some fuses behind kck panel by your feet to & the ones in engine bay

• Like 1

Thank you Joker, I appreciate the help, I will keep fiddling about and see what I can find. Definately thinking that the fuel pump should be priming before starting, and the pump runs with engine on, so I think there's a relay not activating or something! Pity the weather sucks here today, hailstones aren't pleasant when you need to fix the car! :-D

• Like 1

Fuel pump relay seen in here:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/45370-fuel-pressure/

Relay and wiring in here:

http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php?/topic/48315-fuel-pump-kill-switch-install/#comment-603325

The mongoose have options for the immobiliser circuits so will depend how it was installed. But the FP should definitely be priming with ignition on.

• Like 2

Update: Car seems to be starting now. I have found the car won't start with the clutch pedal pressed, it doesn't seem to get fuel. Makes no sense I know, but that seems to be the fault. With clutch pressed (standard on my previous Legacy B4) it will try to start but it sounds like there's no fuel pumping, take your foot off the clutch and it starts right up. Started fine today, let's hope it starts first turn tomorrow.

Thank you Joker and Rosssub I will keep you guys updated, no idea how this fault came around!

• Like 1

My BH5B has a clutch switch, tied in with the starter system wiring. I have the my clutch switch bridged so that I can start the car without the clutch depressed.

Guessing yours has the same switch that might be playing up, check that the switch isn't loose or broken. Or try bridging it if it keeps playing up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rosssub, my Legacy is a BG5 (1997) so it's a 2nd generation Legacy, whereas your's is a 3rd gen. The 2nd gen's don't have the switch. It seems the clutch was just a coincidence, it seems to be playing up again. Although sometimes turning it off and on repeatedly gets it to start, maybe an alarm issue? There's so many factors which it could be, my next step is to replace the fuel pump relay and replace the fuel filter, and within the next few weeks I plan on new oil, filters, spark plugs and all the service parts. Anybody had any dramas with the fuel pump not priming?

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked to see if youre getting power to the pump when the car dies? Also check the connector under the rear seat base, they are notorious for burning out and causing all sorts of fuel pump issues.

• Like 1

Hi KwS, the problem seems to have gone away. Working down in Oamaru, but living in Christchurch, so the car has done about 2,000 km in the last few weeks, problem seems to be gone. If I try to start the car with the foot on the accelerator or clutch it struggles, otherwise it starts ok. Not sure what's going on, but it looks like if I keep my feet away from the pedals it will start fine. Anyway thanks everybody for the support. Now that it's running well it's getting some well-needed TLC, next step is a decat and remove the centre silencer, love the idea of the factory electric exhaust silencer/muffler, but it's too quiet compared to my old B4 RSK. Now, off to search around this forum for the de-cat pages! Thanks guys!

Didn't read the entire post sorry haha, but you could try a direct 12v feed to the fuel pump via an aftermarket relay to see if that helps the pump flow when cranking.

You could also locate your alarm module and trace the wires until you find what has been immobilized and reconnect the wires they separated, just in case the alarms onboard immobilizer relays are buggered.