Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dash fading with white colour

jabz

Hi, wondering if someone can help with suggestions on what do to, my Legacy's Dash seems to have this white colour fading occuring.  I have a 2006 Legacy Spec B, cloth trim.

I am not sure what I should put on to get rid of it, It's like a previous coating of something is coming off i.e. Amourall or something similar?  I haven't sprayed or wiped anything on the dash since I've had it, maybe the previous owner did.

I am not sure what material the dash is, I am assuming its some sort or plastic or fake leather?  Feels like leather, but my car is a cloth trim.   

Here are some pics.

eKDMq79.jpg

QmfRsAt.jpg

Edited by jabz

• Admin

Alot of them do it. Mine does. I just give it a wipe down with a damp rag and that gets rid of most of it. Mines starting to go past the point where its powdery to getting sticky so its definately on the way out.

Cars from US have a recall for them once the powdery layer changes to a sticky/gluey layer and Aussie guys I think are still in the process of getting a recall confirmed.

Not sure where it'll leave alot of us with imports if Subaru NZ ever gets a recall in place

Along with the airbag recall thats come about in the last year or so.

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32719&start=45

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dash-melt-down-196650.html

Damn that's really bad! Try using some trim/plastic conditioner, you can probably also try some linseed oil as the most radical option (the one with additives that dries quicker) if you don't mind the smell for a while.  I've been looking well after mine dressing it and all that but it does get a bit sticky during hot summer days and as Andy mentioned above the issues is well-known and there has been a recall in the States - something to do with bad plastic.

FFS Subaru!.. This is where we get F***** by imports, not sure what Subaru NZ will do to help probably jackshit.  I purchased the car from Winger but it's an import.

I see at Legacy GT forums Subaru USA has issued a warranty extension/dash replacement program, part way through this thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dash-melt-down-196650p5.html

We also haven't heard jack about our airbags.

Edited by jabz

• 4 weeks later...

Guys Subaru NZ said they never heard of this issue with the NZ models, do any of you have a NZ model legacy that is affected?  Let me know, or even better contact Subaru NZ and let them know. 

I can't let this go since it ruins my Subaru's internal looks, I don't do any mods to my car I am satisfied with it and it's exterior looks.  

However this issue really bugs me and is in my face everyday, it's embarrassing taking passengers in my Subaru.  Since I have a JDM it's going to be hard to get anything done.  I purchased my car from Winger Northshore.

If it was a defect that wasn't in plain sight, I might not have minded an much.

It's definitely related to the melting dash issue, here is the Australians affected by the same issue,

https://www.facebook.com/Subaru-Melting-Dashboard-Australia-464874687056289/

More pics for your perusal.

c0CVsMh.jpg

f5JsoDw.jpg

LJaogPQ.jpg

Edited by jabz

My NZ new dash is mint - not one spot or patch going funky. 

I keep it clean and wipe it with amourall pretty much every second weekend when I vacuum the beast

I try avoid parking in direct sun as much as possible too

13 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

Might sound silly but try some linseed oil (the one from mitre10 and such). Try on a small patch first and see how you go, might help to get read of that white residue. 

Thanks might try it out, I haven't used anything yet. Do you use it? 

I was trying to get Subaru NZ to atleast acknowledge an issue, however they stated since mine is a JDM no wty here.  

Fair enough however they are the Subaru/FHI representative for NZ, so SHOULD be able to get something out of FHI Japan in terms of atleast a response, or next steps etc, but so far I've been brick walled.  

I'd probably even be willing to pay between ($500-$1000)  for a replacement dash if Subaru even came to the party with a discounted offer.

3 hours ago, ADIKT said:

I keep it clean and wipe it with amourall pretty much every second weekend when I vacuum the beast

Mine is garaged and when I drive it to work I park in an underground carpark.  Hardly ever leave in direct sunlight.

Edited by jabz

On 10/12/2016 at 2:16 PM, romeyromes said:

I am going through the same problem and I have no clue what to do!? Very shiny and sticky during a hot sunny day which causes glare. 

Is yours a JDM import or a NZ Legacy?  Because Subaru NZ don't want to know about JDM, and refuse to acknowledge that it is a defect, even though US and Aus are going through the same issue and Subaru in their country have acknowledged it.

So since today is a hot day, my white dash as now transitioned into a sticky, melting plastic causing glare on the windscreen, the entire length of the dash is sticky.  I have only been driving out in the Sun for 15mins.

8WcC93Q.jpg

Edited by jabz

On 10/12/2016 at 2:16 PM, romeyromes said:

I am going through the same problem and I have no clue what to do!? Very shiny and sticky during a hot sunny day which causes glare. 

Also if yours is a NZ Subaru, I implore you to contact your  Subaru NZ about it, as currently they are claiming no NZ cars are affected.

On 10/6/2016 at 9:01 AM, ADIKT said:

The Wife's JDM BP is fine so far, though we've only had it <6 months....think I will start religiously applying armourall to the dash after reading this thread...

If you get desperate....get a carpet dash cover....

https://www.subaruspeed.co.nz/collections/interior/products/new-dash-carpet-legacy-03-09

20 hours ago, jabz said:

Is yours a JDM import or a NZ Legacy?  Because Subaru NZ don't want to know about JDM, and refuse to acknowledge that it is a defect, even though US and Aus are going through the same issue and Subaru in their country have acknowledged it.

So since today is a hot day, my white dash as now transitioned into a sticky, melting plastic causing glare on the windscreen, the entire length of the dash is sticky.  I have only been driving out in the Sun for 15mins.

8WcC93Q.jpg

Mine look exactly like yours!

Mine is JDM and I have hit up Subaru NZ about it yesterday and no response so far and will probably not hear from them.

Subaru Australia has acknowledged this and there is a Facebook page dedicated to this. The page is called ''Subaru Melting Dashboard Australia''. Looks like the Aussies are getting theirs replaced for free.

Leaning towards a complete dash replacement and I have contacted Strong for Subaru for quotes. Will let you guys know soon as I have more info.

My 2007 JDM Legacy is also facing this sticky problem even on cold days. I've used expensive dash and trim cleaners nothings worked, the stickiness on my dash is similar to rubbing a glue stick on your fingers then pinching and pulling them apart. didn't realize this was an issue for everyone. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I'd be interested to know if the ones used in the warranty scheme actually use a updated product or whether its just a bandaid fix that'll come back around in another 5-10 years time.

Having a used one ending up just as bad is the only reason I haven't opted to find a wrecker one yet. Mines pretty beat up in other ways, but not super sticky yet.

• 1 month later...

Just discovered this topic, I had the same problem on mine.

I tried a few different things and I discovered that cleaning the dashboard with a lint cloth and some soap was removing the powder/sticky stuff. But it was coming back after 1 or 2 weeks. My car is frequently parked under direct sunlight. I tried a cheap protectant from Supercheap auto and it was actually worse. I cleaned all the crap with soap again and tried the protectant from Turtle Wax and ... didn't come back after 2 weeks ! :cool:

To sum it up : Clean the dashboard with soap and apply Turtle Wax protectant every 2 weeks.

It's working fine for me, I think that it's worth a try if some of you guys still have the problem.