Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Daft questions

ZeroNZ

Hey guys, some pretty daft questions which I've been searching for answers for but haven't turned up anything definitive.

I'm looking at getting my lady friend a new car, and I'm keen on her getting something I can modify when she upgrades in a year or two, and I enjoy the conversion/modification instead of selling and buying. 

I was looking at a 2000 1.5 Impreza sedan, but I have a few questions... Are the 1.5s AWD the same as the 2.0s? If I were to swap in the drivetrain from an STI, would I need to be concerned with anything other than the normal conversion stuff or is it a bolt in affair, aside from wiring? Also are the rear brakes drum brakes or calipers? Many more questions but that would do for a start haha

Cheers guys

• Admin

@kamineko did something similar with his RA got smashed up,

he got a 1.3 CF Impreza and stripped it to a shell and put everything from his RA in it.

i think it turned out to be a bigger job than he anticipated, and there turned out to be more differences than were apparent to begin with.

in theory Subaru didn't make to many different shells for each model and year, and everything from there is bolt on.

but remembering if putting in a bigger engine then technically you need to cert it,.

yes i believe the 1.5na has rear drum brakes.

if it weren't for the experence of doing it I would say it's a bigger job than it's worth, but I've heard of crazier things done.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I'm no stranger to modifications as I've built a Skyline from factory auto/non-turbo to a fully worked manual/turbo with a link and all the other stuff, so cert doesn't scare me too much haha, I also found that I enjoy the modification process and even if I end up spending more I don't really mind as I learn a lot and I'm a mechanic by trade so the more knowledge the better.

Reason I ask is that I treat each new project as a newb and find out as much as I can. Say I were to get the whole rear assembly and engine/front subframe/transmission it should all bolt straight in? Would I run into issues with auto/manual conversions with wiring (if I were to get an auto)? I'd likely run aftermarket ECU control, so would the 1.5 wiring be basically the same, or would I need to do a body harness swap? I'm not familiar with the EJ series engines in terms of what is SOHC and what is DOHC  and their interchangeability.