Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Alternatives to dynamat

willisnz

Thinking of putting some dynamat in the doors of by BH as I have some rattles that I'm struggling to get rid of since I replaced the stock speakers.

I cut the old speakers out of their mounts/surrounds and screwed the new speakers into the old surround, so that could be part of my problem and I have a few things to look at on that front.

Has anyone used cheaper alternatives to dynamat?  This is my run-around/commuter/weekend car for the dogs (have a nicer BP for the wife), so I'm not looking to drop a lot of cash on it, just make it enjoyable for myself, hence exploring alternatives.

Found this on TM

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/vintage-parts/other/auction-1173142178.htm

Or can get stuff like this from China

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-supply-high-quality-self-adhesive-butyl-rubber-car-soundproof-damping-sound-deadening-material/32503759461.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.2.EBjy4e&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10056_10065_10068_10055_10067_10054_112_10069_10059_110_111_10073_10017_109_10070_108_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_1&btsid=72313014-0d9f-4a30-affe-76a1ffe64460

or this from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B01KZ5X7KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475786142&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sound+deadening&psc=1

Thoughts?

• General Member

if you can view there's a bit of a discuccion over here : http://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/41629-diy-sound-deadening-ideas/?hl=dynamat

with the consensus being this stuff

bmxnz11, on 21 Aug 2014 - 11:26 PM, said:

x25cwmJ.jpg

s1zW8hV.jpg

This is the stuff i was talking about. Can get a couple (really only a couple) of boxes for Hutt sluts and Welly boys if wanted

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Scoobydoo said:

This is on Trademe, I don't know how it compares to your Dynamat price though

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/amplifiers/4-channel/auction-1183499974.htm

This is the same TM seller as I posted above, similar price to the Chinese link I posted.  I went the China route, will report back when it arrives.  If I need more will probably go TM route as shipping from China takes ages!

If the descriptions are correct, 25m of that flashing tape from Bunnings weighs less than 0.7m of the TM stuff? Or am I reading that wrong?  So it probably isn't that effective at increasing the mass of the door? Will probably help block outside noise but my issue is vibration at low freq bass, so I think I need to increase the mass of my door.

• 2 weeks later...

TM stuff stuff arrived today..seems comparable to the stuff I got from China for basically the same price so will go with that if I need more.  Doors I have partially done so far seem to rattle much less so hopefully this solves my issues!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Thread reboot time! 

This stuff proving to be up to it? 

I opted for some RAT Mat from an outfit in Geraldine thinking it was reasonably priced, looked pretty decent stuff and is also only a day courier away (to Dunedin)... that was a week and a half ago and still no sign of it. 

Finally managed to get an answer out of them today as to what the go is saying it'll be 3 weeks away and I can either wait or get a refund. 

Has anyone here actually used the stuff?

I really just want to know if it'll be worth the wait more than anything or do I go the Trademe route?

Just can't justify the price of Dynamat, I'm afraid. 

Any input, as always, is appreciated. 

• Like 1