Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Lifting a legacy wagon

howard

Hi first time poster. An odd request I guess as most people would want to lower their legacy. But I want to raise it. I have a legacy 2008 wagon with low miles which is in very good condition which I want to raise by 30 - 50 mm. Has anybody done this?

Apparently I can have new springs made for $1400 but I was wondering if there was an easier less expensive route.

I was also told I can use lift spacers with a new camper control.

But then i was wondering if outback struts and springs fit?

Thanks for your time

30 minutes ago, JGM said:

You will get at least 50mm lift with Outback struts and springs.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1181399526

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1183868063

Beware, the outback spring rate is very low.  The ride will be incredibly soft in comparison to your existing.

Do they sell for that price? Maybe I should sell my old set

Thanks for the replies

When you say lowered your outback do you mean you put legacy struts on? If you still have them i might be interest. Car looks nice.

However i am concerned with the comment The ride will be incredibly soft in comparison to your existing.

Maybe fitting new springs in the rear at the same time would reduce the softness. Ive been told that the factory springs are quite soft.

H

Taken from NASIOC

"ok you want the skinny on raising your legacy. all you need are 4 struts for the outback of your year and 4 outback springs. thats it. its a direct bolt on. nothing else needed. get a set of GR-2's for $250 and a used set of springs for $50 and you're done. or you can get a "lift kit" which has even taller springs. I think they raise a stock Outback 2" so you'd have almost 11" of clearance. but the cheapest was is just find some OB springs and outback struts."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708816

Post #8

Prices are in USD

2 hours ago, ADIKT said:

Do they sell for that price? Maybe I should sell my old set

I wouldn't bank on it, this set has been on trade me for months now...

53 minutes ago, howard said:

Thanks for the replies

When you say lowered your outback do you mean you put legacy struts on? If you still have them i might be interest. Car looks nice.

However i am concerned with the comment The ride will be incredibly soft in comparison to your existing.

Maybe fitting new springs in the rear at the same time would reduce the softness. Ive been told that the factory springs are quite soft.

H

Pose as a car buyer and test drive an Outback from a dealer, you'll get a feel for what I mean.

The Outback struts are approx. 30mm longer than the Legacy ones, also a taller softer spring.  

Self leveling rear struts (the ones I linked previously) as well, good/bad? - not to sure... 

17 minutes ago, JGM said:

Pose as a car buyer and test drive an Outback from a dealer, you'll get a feel for what I mean.

The Outback struts are approx. 30mm longer than the Legacy ones, also a taller softer spring.  

I found the ride to be more 'floaty than a std legacy but not really soft as such.

Maybe pick up some struts and then buy some firmer outback springs on Ebay

Or you could use theses if you were only after a small lift in height http://www.subtle-solutions.com/product_info.php?products_id=109

Bloke at PF automotive in tauranga says outback suspension with new king springs to reduce the "wallo" effect will work a treat.

the reason why....

i couldnt find a late model outback with the low k's and the colour i wanted so went for the legacy. Having never driven one! i was driving a van before. But now i keep putting the front end over the kerb not to mention my heavy passenger banging the passenger door on the foot path. When i went to put a load gardening supplies in the back it was nearly touching the wheels! I like everything else about the legacy so thought if i could raise it a little bit id be alright. Unfortunately raising it 'a little bit' is not cost effective so going the outback suspension route seams the logical choice.

Thanks again for all your advise.

6 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Apparently if you put something heavy in the back they 'self level' so the rear doesn't sag. Not sure how it works though.

I'm not the only one! Same principle for towing.  Also keeps the headlights level.

• Admin

They make some pretty cool stuff.

Pretty much everything you'll need to give it a lift without messing up axle angles and all that from my brief read about it a while back. Would be heading down cert territory with stuff like that though so not particularily cost effective.

https://sumoparts.3dcartstores.com/Legacy-BL-BP-2005-2009_c_86.html

28 minutes ago, JGM said:

I'm not the only one! Same principle for towing.  Also keeps the headlights level.

The headlights use an electronic auto-leveler - You will have two of these mounted to the body and connected to a control arm 

HTB1eDouGXXXXXa9XFXXq6xXFXXXh.jpg 

28 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Found this on an outback forum.

Apparently same type of system used in the out back. Page 5 shows a cutaway of the shock.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/nivomat.pdf

Interesting!  

Some of SF Foresters had auto leveling rear struts too. Good when they work, not so when they get stuffed :D

Do pre-face Legacy/Outback have auto-leveling headlights? Pretty sure they're all manual adjustable. Mounting points on LCA and lateral arms woud be a give away, levelers look like skinny swaybar links, Legacy ones at least, a bit different from the ones above. 

PS: not sure what your situation is but wouldn't be more practical and easier to sell the Legacy and buy an Outback?

14 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

Some of SF Foresters had auto leveling rear struts too. Good when they work, not so when they get stuffed :D

Do pre-face Legacy/Outback have auto-leveling headlights? Pretty sure they're all manual adjustable. Mounting points on LCA and lateral arms woud be a give away, levelers look like skinny swaybar links, Legacy ones at least, a bit different from the ones above. 

PS: not sure what your situation is but wouldn't be more practical and easier to sell the Legacy and buy an Outback?

Yep - prefacelift all have a little thumb wheel for headlight leveling 

My headlight levelers look very similar to the above pic I linked 

Edit: The below pic is more accurate 

Subaru_Forester_Impreza_WRX_STI__Head_La 

5 minutes ago, howard said:

i did look into that but couldnt find the later model with low k's in the same colour at the price i was willing to pay.

h

I ended up going for higher Ks in the colour I wanted but it was regularly serviced and was in really good condition inside and out. Still drives as good if not better than some of the lower k ones I tried

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure the JDM facelift OB had self levelling headlights but did not have the self adjusting rear shocks. They were on the North American models though so maybe NZ new would have them. You can tell by looking at the shock and it will have a small can hanging off the side about the size of a 250ml red bull can.

29 minutes ago, alfie said:

I'm pretty sure the JDM facelift OB had self levelling headlights but did not have the self adjusting rear shocks. They were on the North American models though so maybe NZ new would have them. You can tell by looking at the shock and it will have a small can hanging off the side about the size of a 250ml red bull can.

Mine looked exactly like this: 

503721070.jpg 

16 minutes ago, JGM said:

Lads, see below.  Knew I wasn't just blowing smoke out my ass!

Buzzy - I must have missed that when I read my manual - either that or I was to excited about how the front seats fold down into a 'bed'

Does yours have the thumb wheel for your headlights? 

Sorry for the thread hijack btw OP

• Like 1