Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

where to buy replacement viscous coupling?

Woody_nz

The viscous coupling in my legacy 3.0R 6spd MT is on its way out, Binds when turning. I was wondering who on here has had the joy of replacing theres and who did you buy it from. I have a price from the local dealer, part only they want a staggering $1500+gst. The same bit out of Sydney is AU $899 and $80 postage, Cheaper but there will be duty on top of that. So i'm hopeing there is some where in NZ that has them for a reasnoble price. 
Thanks

• Admin

Na never did anything. Used to always bind on parking speed tight turns after a long drive. But haven't actually noticed it the last few big trips its been on so dunno whats going on there. It was never bad enough to bother replacing, and I was never 100% sure it was the diff and not a CV or something else playing up. 

If this BillyCorgi chap had been doing it back then I probably would have just gone to him. Spent a while looking but couldn't find anything other than new ones from Subaru which cost a fortune.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Not in NZ but see what he wants for one. its normally not bad with a core swap but that'll be a pain shipping internationally

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089

An interesting read. It may well be an option. He has also given away all his research work. Maybe i should just buy 50ml of silicon fluid and have a crack myself. 

• Admin

Maybe, maybe not. I had the exact same idea and queried him on it. But according to him atleast there's a bit more too it he doesn't post about to keep people coming to him. He's a smart cookie and knows what info to post and what not to for the projects he's working on. Sure with the correct FSM any tricky parts of dissasembly/assembly could potentially be sorted. But there must be a reason bugger all people do it. If it was really as easy as just ripping it apart, cleaning it and adding new, correctly rated fluid it'd be a common DIY jobbie.

7 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Maybe, maybe not. I had the exact same idea and queried him on it. But according to him atleast there's a bit more too it he doesn't post about to keep people coming to him. He's a smart cookie and knows what info to post and what not to for the projects he's working on. Sure with the correct FSM any tricky parts of dissasembly/assembly could potentially be sorted. But there must be a reason bugger all people do it. If it was really as easy as just ripping it apart, cleaning it and adding new, correctly rated fluid it'd be a common DIY jobbie.

Fair point.

7 minutes ago, loner said:

From a wrecker?

None avalible at the wreckers i tried. Anyway whats to say they wont sell me one thats almost buggerd as well.

Maybe one of these jokers that has mad there wrx rwd and no longer needs the vc unit will part with theres.  

54 minutes ago, Woody_nz said:

None avalible at the wreckers i tried. Anyway whats to say they wont sell me one thats almost buggerd as well.

Maybe one of these jokers that has mad there wrx rwd and no longer needs the vc unit will part with theres.  

Then buy a whole gearbox from a wrecker. 

I just changed my centre diff to a brand new centre. Far far better now. Also car doesn't try and push in the corners when it's hot. I can source one brand new for around 900 incl gst to you but there is a 2 ish week wait on delivery. I also have 2 here I'm going to rebuild like corgiworx has done. 

• Admin

Found it for you. 

From Partsouq in USD

Subaru 38913AA112 CTR DIFF ASSY 2 398.04$ 398.04$  
  New Zealand 
Items total: 398.04$
Shipping total: 68.47$ 
Price total:466.51$

which is about 645 NZD delivered. Do remember Partsouq let you decide the *cough* Cost *Cough* of the item you're shipping so that way you could get it under that customs limit. :) Glad I could be of service.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Found it for you. 

From Partsouq in USD

Subaru 38913AA112 CTR DIFF ASSY 2 398.04$   398.04$  
  New Zealand 
Items total: 398.04$
Shipping total: 68.47$ 
Price total:466.51$

which is about 645 NZD delivered. Do remember Partsouq let you decide the *cough* Cost *Cough* of the item you're shipping so that way you could get it under that customs limit. :) Glad I could be of service.

Good sh*t this was the info I'm after. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2016 at 8:38 AM, pl0x said:

If you brought one, let me know how much you are after for your old one. Reply in this thread please, my PM inbox is 230% full xD

Yea got one off partsouq. I have no idea what its worth throw a figure at me.

On 11/6/2016 at 5:00 PM, Woody_nz said:

Yea got one off partsouq. I have no idea what its worth throw a figure at me.

The dude I had in mind said he has one and would just weld up to run 4wd, but if your just going to biff it he'll give you a bit of cash or beers for it.