Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Your first 'performance' car...

G B

1 hour ago, Steviep168 said:

My auntie had the 2.0l version as a company car back in the late 80's and yes agreed it was proper Fugly indeed.......😝😝😝

Owned a couple of those. The 2.0 came after the 1600 was dropped and one of the first cars to be equipped with electronic fuel injection.

3 hours ago, Niran said:

1999 VR4 Legnum Type S. Amazing car, handled so dam well! And pretty quick. Was at 175km and was putting holes in my wallet so was time to go. 

Was a beat up mess when i got it. Picked it up for 4.5k at 135km on the clock. Spent a lot of money getting it as tidy as below. If only i could have kept it..

IMG_6381_zpsdqnkgesf.jpg

Also had a VR4 albeit a Galant. Loved it as well, wish I still had it.

Edited by Zitchu
  • Like 1

My first was a 1994 wrx wagon, in red. completely stock. Leaking so bad the smoke was coming out the bonnet. I was 17 at the time and didn't know anything about cars. Ended up getting stung like $600 for rocker cover seals lol. Then the cambelt started leaking. I sold that and got a bg5 auto legacy, that was too slow so I sold it and got a v2 sti. Got ripped off a few more times with bad mechanical work which actually sparked my interest in cars/repairs/mods. If you want something done right, do it yourself eh.

Had and worked on a wide variety of Japanese sportbikes, only started driving at 22, first performance car I had was a BF5 GT destined for the scrappers, picked it up for 300, bogged the A pillar rust (naughty), replaced the seized brakes and plugs. 

those rover tomcats were comically lethal !

a highly tuned 220bhp turbo motor in an old honda concerto chassis.

in nz we had similar cars like the mitsi sigma turbo

:D

85%20sigma%20turbo%20pre-release%201_zps

and an informative shot of the nz ae82 corolla gt

85%20cor%20gt%201_zpsnfsm3m8r.jpg

good to have photobucket working again !

I was using a 305gtx from time to time, was not my car though. It's an old sportscar from Peugeot, it had the same engine as the 205gti.

peugeot-305-gtx-3.jpg

The first performance car I had was a VW Scirocco, really loved it :

Volkswagen_Scirocco_002.jpg

Edited by delta

20 hours ago, newsuba said:

those rover tomcats were comically lethal !

a highly tuned 220bhp turbo motor in an old honda concerto chassis.

197bhp in stock form but 250 was acheivable with a few $ thrown at it. My 220 GTi (hatch version of the Tomcat) was featured in NZ Performance Car a few years ago, It was certainly interesting having all that power through the front wheels with just a Torsen (TORque SENsing) diff trying (and often failing) to control things :( Can't say that torque steer is something I actually miss that much xD

Hrere it is just before the Auckland Domain Hill Climb

220gti2.jpg

• Admin
On 10/25/2016 at 6:43 PM, hunter951 said:

i guess my 1992 bluebird doesnt count... so mines a 1998 v4 wrx GF8, damn it went well. Held its own against my mates factory evo 4.... been stuck with Subaru ever since

I learnt to drive in a '92 Bluebird... it was a SSS model.
204462_10150160272858495_4220285_o.jpg

By first performance car, im assuming you mean first Turbo car?

if so mine was a '96 GTB Legacy.

56 minutes ago, RAYDEO said:

By first performance car, im assuming you mean first Turbo car?

Not sure about that mate, cause it would mean that a Ferrari 458 is not a performance car xD

I would say that  any "sport" wannabe-car counts ? 

• Admin
24 minutes ago, delta said:

Not sure about that mate, cause it would mean that a Ferrari 458 is not a performance car xD

I would say that  any "sport" wannabe-car counts ? 

True, however what I'm getting at is the 4-5 non turbo Subaru wagons I had before my gtb don't count?

1 hour ago, RAYDEO said:

True, however what I'm getting at is the 4-5 non turbo Subaru wagons I had before my gtb don't count?

Yeah you're right a wagon is probably not considered a performance car. But if we think about it, a c63 amg wagon could be considered a performance car . . . 

Well my point is just pick the one YOU consider a performance car. The first one I picked is only 105hp afair but is lightweight (800kg)

My first car and performance car was something a bit different, 1985 Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2L with two double-barrel Weber carburettors. Was built like a tank and didn't acclerate very quickly but it was bloody good at going around corners. The next car i went for was where pocket rocket started. Peugeot 205GTi 1.9L, Euro spec version was a bloody fun car, quick to accelerate and went around corners bloody well, just no top end power.