Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Any BRZ owners here ?

delta

1 hour ago, 94 Leone said:

I think it comes down to the fact that those of us that dont have forced induction cars are cheap, theres a few of us that are cheap and have forced induction, not so many that can justify all the $$ on a car without a turbo.

Yeah I see what you mean. The car is still expensive as it only came out recently. But I guess it will be affordable in a few years. I also reckon that it's going to become a "classic" like the RX7, the S2000 or the AE86. I mean, it's the kind of cars that are still great even after 2 or 3 decades.

As for the forced induction, it's part of the philosophy of the car to be NA. Forced induction comes with lag. This car is all about driving pleasure : rear wheel drive, no turbo lag, lightweight, stock tires with not much grip so that you can easily reach the limit of the car and really low center of gravity. And I must say that it's the car I have the most fun with among the ones that I had or tried.

That being said, I think that the definition of driving pleasure is different for every one :

- Some people are looking for kick-ass accelerations and really fast cornering. They probably don't like it when they reach the limits of the car (just guessing here).

- Some other people want to have a car that you feel connected with (no turbolag + great handling), that you can push to the limit safely (not too much horsepower) or over the limit (RWD and easy drifting).

I guess from what you say that you are among the first category and I am more part of the second category. But no one's right or wrong here, just different philosophies :)

I hope that you understand what I'm trying to say here, my English is far from perfect :P

@newsuba The BRZ is not so bad when it comes to taking stuff with you, with the back seats folded, you can take 4 wheels with you for trackdays

I used to have a VW Scirocco that I really liked. But now that I have a GT86, I don't want to go back. The handling of this coupe is so cool :D

• Like 2

Well, I think that there's still a little lag with the supercharger.

But I must agree that this car is awesome with a supercharger. A friend supercharged his and he let me try it. Man, I want the same ! :D

That's another cool thing about the GT86/BRZ, there's a HUGE modding community, so you can do whatever you want with it.

I've a heard that from a couple of persons. A quick google search gives this :

If a turbo has lag, a supercharger doesn't, right?
The thought is that people want to go with a supercharger because it doesn't have any of the lag associated with having a turbo. However, this is actually not true. Superchargers still require to be at a certain rotational speed until they are able to produce maximum boost. Until you hit that max boost, there is still that dreaded lag.

We could keep talking about turbo lag and supercharger lag forever, and there are many cases where you can use a dual turbo/supercharger setup, or nitrous/turbo setup to reduce lag, but in the end, there is still that lag that you have to overcome. However, with that said, we still love our boost!

https://www.redline360.com/garage/what-is-turbo-lag-and-how-a-supercharger-has-lag-too

Edited by delta

i tried a toyota gt86 and it was ok.

apparently the suspension is setup softer in the front than the brz, so the 86 turns in a with a little less precision.

it was good but not good enough to get me out of my golf gti.

my favourite affordable sportster remains the renaultsport megane rs265, nothing else beats it for sheer handling.

@pedro Yep agreed, just makes it a little harder for drifting

@newsuba True for the suspension, but it also gives less understeer and makes the gt86 more tail happy :)

Funny that you prefer the golf gti, which year is it ? How many HP ?

The megane RS is probably the best FWD out there, but after my Scirocco I wanted to try RWD. And man, I don't want to go back. AWD like my outback is ok though.

Ahahah thx for your support loner, I was starting to feel alone here

@killervq30de Easy to do bro ! You give me a hand ? Don't forget to bring the engine ! :P

Americans are working on installing an LS, should be cool too !

I bought some ATF from Wingers Subaru today (Auckland) and they don't have any BRZ. They're saying that they prefer selling 4WD cars only and Toyota already sells the GT86. That's a pity, I actually prefer the new BRZ over the new GT86, looks way better.

I have not really read the comments but I think the point of the Brz is driving pleasure, nice handling and lightweight setup. If you want a powerhouse, get a sti.

Two very different cars, awd vs rwd, turbo vs non turbo, 2 door vs 4 door.

Love the brz tho, I wanna get one some day :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evowrx said:

Not sure that you can even compare the two. Very different cars and markets.

Man you are funny sometimes... always find a way to make a comment :P 

I didn't compare them as such... I stated that one was more desirable to me than the other.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, loner said:

Man you are funny sometimes... always find a way to make a comment :P 

I didn't compare them as such... I stated that one was more desirable to me than the other.

If we're going full grammar tech I didn't say you compared them I just went further than your comment to say that while you may find x more desirable than y, I'm not sure you can compare. Its not even close to anything Subaru have done before but not unlike Toyota. I would hazard a guess and say its a lot more popular with the latter market who love that type of thing whereas on here they probably aren't mainstream.

1 hour ago, evowrx said:

If we're going full grammar tech I didn't say you compared them I just went further than your comment to say that while you may find x more desirable than y, I'm not sure you can compare. Its not even close to anything Subaru have done before but not unlike Toyota. I would hazard a guess and say its a lot more popular with the latter market who love that type of thing whereas on here they probably aren't mainstream.

You might mean a Semantics Nazi not a Grammar Nazi... but whatever... Let me break it down for you. One is small, low c of g, well balanced and designed for drivers. The other is a big bulbous shopping trolley with a turbo bolted on. I know which one I prefer.

Edited by loner