Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WIFI obd2 reader for Gen 4 outback

SpeedySub

Ok, so looking to get myself a wifi OBD2 reader for the outback (BP9), just wanting to make sure I get one the will work with the ECU and with Torque app. Iv'e done a search here and on the interweb, but haven't found anything that definatly says what brands will work. As I understand it, it will need to work with the SSM2 protocol for subaru. The problem is the ones that say they definitely do work are freaking expensive. Ive heard the cheap ELM ones may or may not work.

What readers do people use?

• Subscribed Member
7 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Im assuming if it works with WRX, then should work on Legacy/Outback. Will pop into Jaycar on the way home tonight and have a talk to them.

Yeah I'd say they should, considering they're similar age etc.

They're quite expensive there, but we got this one on trade, so it wasn't too bad.

Yeah they were more than I was thinking, but cheaper than the ones on ebay at $300 odd dollars for one!

I got dicked around with one of the Tardeme Elm knockoffs when I had my Mondeo, so would rather pay a bit more for something that works properly and has good back up service/return policy

• Like 1

Ended up going out to Jaycar in my lunch break and picking up a wifi reader. It connects to Torque but all it can tell me how much HP my car is making, but thats about it at this point. Have to do some investigating. If I can't get it to work I will return it and look at BTSSM.

9 hours ago, sobanoodle said:

I have one  off eBay, really cheap one. Works alright with Torque. 

IIRC it was only reading codes in my JDM BL (been a while, might be wrong), shows everything in NZDM BR9. 

Can snap a photo of it if you want.

Same here on the BR9 shows alot of info

22 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

Tactrix is the best bet, but means you need to be draping usb cables round the place. Best go-to for wireless is to skip torque all together and get BTSSM with the adaptor they sell for guaranteed compatibility, assuming of course you have an Android device to run it on.

http://www.btssm.com/

Which one are you using? I'm kinda keen to buy one but unsure which one

Turns out the Jaycar one only reads codes, I thought it was giving me HP figures, but thats something else in the app, as I found I can generate 5HP by swinging my arm.

Im going to return it this weekend. Not too keen on ordering one from overseas for the BTSSM app, also not sure I want to spend the money on the app if it still wont read the ecu properly.

@ADIKT Your car is the facelift 07 isn't it? mine is the 05 and from what Ive read the 07 'should' be fine.

• Admin

I'm just using the Tactrix with an OTG cable as its a fixed install. 

@SpeedySub Why exactly are you against buying one from overseas? Not being able to return it if it doesn't work?

If you know anyone with a tactrix/way to read from your ecu nearby you can pull the ecuid using that and message Heiche on LGT.com and get the answer right from the horses mouth. He can usually hash something up using similar cars to get it working if its not currently supported.

Some more light reading discussing it:

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=27506

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-bluetooth-adapter-app-229709.html

13 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Why exactly are you against buying one from overseas? Not being able to return it if it doesn't work?

Not be able to return it is the big issue. I don't seem to have much luck with order these sorts of things, so not keen on throwing money away on stuff that turns out not to work.

I brought a cable to hook it up directly to the phone but didn't even seem to see the ECU using it. It was a VAGCOM KKL cable (apparently)

45 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Turns out the Jaycar one only reads codes, I thought it was giving me HP figures, but thats something else in the app, as I found I can generate 5HP by swinging my arm.

Im going to return it this weekend. Not too keen on ordering one from overseas for the BTSSM app, also not sure I want to spend the money on the app if it still wont read the ecu properly.

@ADIKT Your car is the facelift 07 isn't it? mine is the 05 and from what Ive read the 07 'should' be fine.

2009 NZ new 3.0r