Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Speed camera = careless driving?

Josh24uh

Hi, 

Doing a bit of Sunday driving and didn't realise that there was a speed cam (van) around the bend  doing approx 155. 

Speeding fines don't show on the police or ltsa website so not sure what to expect, is court/careless driving on the cards? Or not given it was a van. 

Pretty sure a real police officer has to give you a physical ticket for the bad S***, like demerit points / court appearance S***.

But I havnt been pulled over for 5 years so I wouldnt be surprised if that have changed laws to own people even more than before

I'd expect a f**king big fine if you did get snapped though.

• General Member

I'd be prepared for a visit & loss of Licence & potentially your car if they can prove who was driving

sounds like the Camera was in the perfect spot tbh

[None of us will pretend to be squeaky clean but admitting to tom-foolery on the internet is almost as bad aye & kind of asking for a bit of flaming]

• Like 2

I reckon they'll go after your car straight away - they have the power to take it if caught by an officer doing 40+ over the limit.

Your license could be a little different - I've read the small print on camera fines before and I think says something like if you pay the fine (you don't challenge or transfer it) then you're admitting you're responsible for the offence. 

Based on that, if you get and pay the fine you may get a visitor serving a license suspension on you. 

Im not sure if this is the case still but I dont think they can do anything other than a fine as they do not know who was driving, I just think it will just be a big fine and maybe demerits (not sure if they do demerits on speed camera tickets tho).

The biggest speed camera ticket I got was 87 in a 50 which was $230, Ouch :mad:

Lol 155 in a van xD

1 minute ago, Josh24uh said:

Well, S*** sucks but that's the case. Are license suspensions classified as a conviction? 

Dont think so, just loss of license for about a month, that's only if they know you are the driver which they cannot prove 100%. I think you will just get a fine.

Yeah, they would have taken a good picture. I don't deny that or it was wrong, at this point it's just getting ready for what to expect. If it's a high 3 figure / low 4 then I'll pay it without issue. 

My concern is around getting a conviction . (yeah I get the whole don't do crime if you can't. . .)

Just now, Josh24uh said:

Yeah, they would have taken a good picture. I don't deny that or it was wrong, at this point it's just getting ready for what to expect. If it's a high 3 figure / low 4 then I'll pay it without issue. 

My concern is around getting a conviction . (yeah I get the whole don't do crime if you can't. . .)

Even if they get a good picture, Im not sure weather they will try to come after you, maybe they do but I have never heard of it. Still probably good to get ready, If it is just a fine, i doubt it will be 4 figures too. Im actually keen to see what happens so keep us up to date. Sucks getting caught aye xD 

You may be ok this time.  found this:

You will lose your license if you go over a permanent speed limit by more than 40 km/h (not including speed camera offences).

Form here:http://www.cab.org.nz/vat/tt/ad/pages/disqualificationsuspension.aspx

But in saying that you still might get a visit from Mr Plod having a word about speeding and a warning.

But they may have changed the rules, and cannot guarantee that you won't get anything worse than a large fine.

Best Idea is don't speed, but we all do it occasionally, just don't go posting though!

• Like 1

Good info below... 50 kph over limit can get you a criminal record but no jail time. Probably just get a $1000 fine and maybe lose your license.

Seems very unlikely you will get a record. You should get a lawyer if they want to drag you into court though.

http://communitylaw.org.nz/community-law-manual/chapter-33-driving-and-traffic-law/court-processes-how-driving-offences-are-dealt-with-chapter-33/

Edited by loner

• General Member

Given old mate down south the other day told the cops to shove it and drove off after being clocked at circa 170 when he was warned for speeding minutes before and didn't lose his car in court even, I reckon you would be hard done by to lose your car.

I mean the laws the law and all but yeah...

17 minutes ago, Johnnynz said:

Given old mate down south the other day told the cops to shove it and drove off after being clocked at circa 170 when he was warned for speeding minutes before and didn't lose his car in court even, I reckon you would be hard done by to lose your car.

I mean the laws the law and all but yeah...

Sounds a little bit bullshity TBH. 170 and didn't lose his license? 

• General Member

14 minutes ago, loner said:

Sounds a little bit bullshity TBH. 170 and didn't lose his license? 

I never said license I said car. But he did drive off on the day and tell the cop to post him a ticket... I doubt you or I would get away with that at that speed.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11743823

NZ Herald do inch closer to satire everyday but sadly this particular joke begins and ends with the courts.

• Like 2

You'll get a fine and probably charged with dangerous driving which is a court appearance. The photo is evidence that someone was using your car dangerously and you have a legal responsibility for informing the court as to who was driving if you claim you weren't. if you refuse or lie, you will be convicted of failing to supply details, perverting the course of justice, purgery or contempt of court... which ever they see fit. Dangerous driving is not a criminal conviction where as the others are, and you will need to tell employers about it for 7 years.

Others have mentioned how demerits generally aren't involved in speed camera fines... that's because it's not possible to involve the court in every single speed camera ticket. As above, they can certainly prove who is driving as you're better off to confess

• Guest locked this topic