Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best way to ACHEIVE 2.2-2.3L

StrokedEJ

Hi guys. At the moment I'm looking at the pros an cons between a ej20 and ej25 and based on the information I have so far for what I am trying to ACHEIVE which is roughly 400atkw with 8k rmps I've been told a 2.2-2.3L displacement is what I need to look at. So just askingif you have done or heard of anyone who's done it before is it better to stroke a ej20 or DE STROKE a ej25.

*What's better in terms of bang for buck?

*will they perform the same

*price ranges

*if I de stroked a ej25 to close the deck do the blocks come factory decked or will I have to do it

*any recommended builders

Any info on this will be appreciated

Thanks

Whats your budget? Not many subarus in the world make power to 8k. At 400wkw you will need to factor in similar money for heads as you will for the shortblock. Bang for bucks not a word I would use when youre talking about that sort of power out of a subaru.

Hate to say it but 8k wont get you there unless you can assemble it yourself.

But that aside. Destroker 2.5 is good. Need a 255 or 257 block, closed deck machining, crank, arp case bolts, genuine seal kit, bearings, rods, pistons, headgaskets, head stud conversion as stock arp wont cut it, heads, cams, springs and retainers, cam gears, flow bench time, port and polish, valves.

Thats most of it covered but its not exactly a throw random parts together in the garage job. Going to get spendy.

• Admin

I had to lol at that

are you saying you've got 8k for JUST and I mean JUST the short block and heads? absolutely nothing attached to it. Call it 10k and you'll have a shot at it but even then it's a push. Closed deck EJ257's case halves (just the cases) go for around 2.5k the last time I saw them around. Then include getting a new crank (750+NZD afaik), Pistons and rods (probably look around 1.8k), cams anywhere from think it's 1300-1600 depending on your heads, porting, blah blah blah blah and it all adds up very quickly.

3 hours ago, StrokedEJ said:

Loner.Maybe or this school kid has had more high hp motors than you😂 just MAYBE..thanks evowrx 

MAYBE. Some evidence will help your case :)

So far you sound like a kid talking out of your ass about silly power. I'm surprised you didn't just come right out and ask how to build a 10 second car :P

If you want serious advice, and have built many high HP motors... why are you here and not down at your engine builders place of business shooting the S*** with a real engine builder and not some interweb yahoos?

Edited by loner

31 minutes ago, evowrx said:

32#wkw on the 2l/gt35 wasnt it? Guessing youre running the same bolt ons and its drag focused?

Last tune 377kw on my 2L

Haha howd you know

10 minutes ago, loner said:

So far you sound like a kid talking out of your ass about silly power. I'm surprised you didn't just come right out and ask how to build a 10 second car :P

If you want serious advice, and have built many high HP motors... why are you here and not down at your engine builders place of business?

10.9 was last run😂 just saying

4 minutes ago, loner said:

Sweet. Sounds like an awesome car. Tell us about it!

Haha evowrx may know it but nope im on here for advice not talk about my car.

Thanks

23 minutes ago, loner said:

If you want serious advice, and have built many high HP motors... why are you here and not down at your engine builders place of business shooting the S*** with a real engine builder and not some interweb yahoos?

Long story ill write WHY when i stop driving

• Admin
Just now, StrokedEJ said:

Thanks

Well, I guess the best answer is what's been given. 

EJ257 That's been closed

EJ207 Nitrated crank or something else stronger

Your choice of pistons and rods.

Your current heads would likely work? Considering you've got 377kw from them, they've been worked so.

As for someone who can do it for you if you're not inclined to do it yourself. Have a chat to @Subirex Automotive

Now that you've essentially taken the headwork out of the cost (mostly), it's do-able-ish.

6 minutes ago, StrokedEJ said:

Thanks

Long story ill write WHY when i stop driving

Not to sound mean, but you come here asking for advice on something that looks to very expensive and hard to do, then won't tell anyone anything about your car or why you want to do it. It helps to let people know who you are, what you're trying to achieve etc. Not just I have lots of money and want to build this. As @loner said, if you have an engine builder why aren't you talking to him? then maybe come here asking questions such as is this the right track according to you, or what parts do you advise for this.

At this point you sound like a bit of a rich kid w@nker. (no offense if you're not it just comes out that way)

48 minutes ago, loner said:
22 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

Not to sound mean, but you come here asking for advice on something that looks to very expensive and hard to do, then won't tell anyone anything about your car or why you want to do it. It helps to let people know who you are, what you're trying to achieve etc. Not just I have lots of money and want to build this. As @loner said, if you have an engine builder why aren't you talking to him? then maybe come here asking questions such as is this the right track according to you, or what parts do you advise for this.

At this point you sound like a bit of a rich kid w@nker. (no offense if you're not it just comes out that way)

What the hell does knowing me have to do with my question. i dont even have fb or instagram.im a private person when it comes to online .Reason i dont go to engine builders because ive had a bad run with a few. So dont trust them would look around online before i go to another. Long story short . Last builder built my 2L and we had oil pressure problems 3times plus we already had issues such as time frame it took to build .wont go into detail about it engine did 261kms on run in before it failed again . So i asked last builder we"ll just cut our ties and pay me out(insurance) ill go elsewhere.  Ended up costing me 12k for last motor so at the moment hes willing to pay me just under 8k till insurance sorts out the rest. Thats where the funding for this engine is coming from and im not a rich kid im 24  and faar from it.

38 minutes ago, Dairusire said:

Well, I guess the best answer is what's been given. 

EJ257 That's been closed

EJ207 Nitrated crank or something else stronger

Your choice of pistons and rods.

Your current heads would likely work? Considering you've got 377kw from them, they've been worked so.

As for someone who can do it for you if you're not inclined to do it yourself. Have a chat to @Subirex Automotive

Now that you've essentially taken the headwork out of the cost (mostly), it's do-able-ish.

Thanksm appreciate the information

24 minutes ago, GC8E2DD said:

Pretty sure @marc

... is the only person on here to actually build a 2.35 for someone. Perhaps PM him. Everything else is likely to be conjecture.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, evowrx said:

Definitely not the only one. Someone like @Koom can explain the benefits.

Thanks

Sweet, a little info goes a long way.

Have you looked at some of the overseas subaru forums? Ive seen a few people talking about stroked/destoked engines.

Do you have an existing turbo? What have you managed to salvage from the previous engine? and are you wanting your engine builder local?

And for some reason I was thinking you were at school (must of been some of the other posts that confused me). forgive me I am getting old and senile

• Admin
9 minutes ago, StrokedEJ said:

Thanksm appreciate the information

My pleasure. Ajay's great to deal with and helps out Club members. Also did my Closed deck build and gearbox rebuild when I popped a 5 speed yonks ago :)

Wish you the best of luck with getting a good motor regardless. 

Edited by Dairusire

2 hours ago, Dairusire said:

My pleasure. Ajay's great to deal with and helps out Club members. Also did my Closed deck build and gearbox rebuild when I popped a 5 speed yonks ago :)

Wish you the best of luck with getting a good motor regardless. 

Cheers ,thanks will keep u updated

2 hours ago, hunter951 said:

I too will cross this hurdle if i build a engine. Im assuming its easier to de-stroke a 257 then stroking a 207? i thought you could do a similar thing with a 207 to make 2.35?

Yup exact reason im here .😂

Id destroke a 2.5 centre thrust block - pickapart mission. Convert to rear thrust and close the deck possibly sleeve. Partsouq for a nitrided crank but a stock rear thrust phase 2 one will work fine. 12mm oil pump. Whatever bearings the cool kids are using. Argo rods. Cp pistons. Arp case bolts. Arp headstud conversion to 14mm. 

Flow bench the heads and see what they say about moving up to a 2.35 build with the cam/head setup as is. 

Swap to a .82 if its not running one.

Swap to e85 if youre not running it and buy high comp pistons.

@-BLKREX- has made big power on a 2l build for reference.